Date: 26-04-24  Time: 10:41 am

Author Topic: front mudguard woes  (Read 1329 times)

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
front mudguard woes
« on: 11 August 2017, 12:56:20 am »
Well mines just about sh*gged (the mudguard that is).   :(  Rather than play Russian roulette with ebay on the chance of an overpriced half decent replacement are there any good after market options out there?
The inserts that screw onto the fork stanchions are usually the first to go due to fatigue followed by the obligatory fender extender self tapping screws that also fcuk up your fender. Anyway can anyone recommend a decent alternative? What about the mudguards from other bikes? Surely there are a few about that can be modified to fit a fazer. Go on show me your front end.

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: front mudguard woes
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2017, 05:58:29 am »
start putting penetrating fluid on the bolts now - holy crap were they siezed and needed drilling out and re tapped
(i know its not easy as they are screwed in tight but every little helps)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2017, 09:14:04 am »
May or may not help, but I never used screws to hold on my fender extender, seemed a shame to go drilling holes in decent body work. I used a load of PU adhesive and some big clamps on it whilst it set. No problems with it coming loose over the last few years, even after binning it a few times!

Maybe I got lucky on my Fazer with my bolts though, didn't have any hassle with them coming off. Though one on Mary's CBF was seized and needed drilling out.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2017, 11:26:59 am »
A while back there was a discussion about that mysterious capped hole in the mudguard and it is because as with of lot of parts on this bike it was from another bike have a search here
xj600 maybe with the hole for the speedo drive cable
« Last Edit: 11 August 2017, 11:39:39 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2017, 11:56:17 pm »
A while back there was a discussion about that mysterious capped hole in the mudguard and it is because as with of lot of parts on this bike it was from another bike have a search here
xj600 maybe with the hole for the speedo drive cable

That's a good shout with the xj600, there's bound to be others that will fit the fazer with a bit of modding.

May or may not help, but I never used screws to hold on my fender extender, seemed a shame to go drilling holes in decent body work. I used a load of PU adhesive and some big clamps on it whilst it set. No problems with it coming loose over the last few years, even after binning it a few times!

Maybe I got lucky on my Fazer with my bolts though, didn't have any hassle with them coming off. Though one on Mary's CBF was seized and needed drilling out.

I wish I'd thought of PU glue instead of the self tappers that came with the extender!

start putting penetrating fluid on the bolts now - holy crap were they siezed and needed drilling out and re tapped
(i know its not easy as they are screwed in tight but every little helps)

Yep I got them out but it knackered the plastic around the flanges ffs!
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2017, 02:57:05 am »
I knackered my front guard by forgetting about disc locks :'(

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2017, 10:39:59 am »
Well I've affected a repair to the mudguard that was completely knackered, probably by the over tightening of the 4 bolts by yours truly. The support had completely sheared off It's not a pretty fix but it'll work. Araldite is a wonderful product, once it's fully cured I'll give it a bit of a fettle with a glue stick gun and take a metal file to the corners.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2017, 10:42:42 am by celticdog »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2017, 12:12:24 pm »
With a bit of luck this should last a while.