Date: 29-03-24  Time: 09:10 am

Author Topic: Fazer 1000 nitron or hyperpro whatever rear shock ??  (Read 7803 times)

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 1000 nitron or hyperpro whatever rear shock ??
« Reply #25 on: 20 August 2017, 03:46:58 pm »
You are absolutely correct, I have no experience of the R6 shock on the FZ1 but I do have experience of it on the R6 and it's just awful there.
Like all Yamaha shocks I have encountered it is way under sprung and under damped. To this end I only respectfully suggest that a shock designed to work for a large variety of riders on a bike that only weighs 190Kg is not going to work as well on a bike that weighs 220kg with different swingarm/linkage geometry as a shock that is specifically built for a riders weight, bike and riding style/requirements.
Checking Luke's thread on the R6 mod shows that the majority of people are more than happy with the results, I suspect (Luke might be able to confirm) that the difference in geometry has the effect of firming the compression damping similar to when you fit shorter dog bones.

For those that aren't happy it will be more cost effective to get the R6 shock re-sprung, re-valved, and serviced to the riders specifications than buying a new shock, which will often lack the range of adjustment found on the R6 unit.

Of course at times we all suffer from the compulsion to buy something new and shiny and there's nothing wrong with that :D
Not suggesting anyone is wrong when they say they are happy with the R6 shock or that it is adequate. Just posting my personal view on the subject.
Compulsion to buy something new and shiny......
Yes well, it sometimes feels like most performance parts suppliers have direct access to my bank account and just send me anything new that comes in.
This weekend it's getting a full service with iridium plugs and k&n filter going in and unless I can find an excuse not to, before winter sets in I'll be buying the cables and software to flash the ECU and play around with the fuelling and various other parameters like fuel cut off and quick shift enabling.
The only thing I can't really justify is a slipper clutch.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 August 2017, 09:21:29 pm »
It will be interesting to read how the OP gets on with the Wilbers, once the roads dried out (having bought my bike in February) my riding got more progressive and the stock shock started to show it's short comings. Being on a budget I spent £100 on a 2nd hand BMW S1000RR shock and the difference was immediately apparent. I'd also spent £50 on a 2nd hand Ohlins spring for my weight at the time but I've yet to bother fitting it as I'm happy with the stock BMW unit so far. :)

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 September 2017, 04:26:05 pm »
update on the Wilbers shock ...have done a couple of sessions around local roads sorting out the front end (finally)..and now the new shock and the front end are working really well together...

Wilbers shock with spring for my weight is perfect ..rebound damping spot on..set from factory...rider and bike sag cock on for me..I decided on the basic shock as I'm not likely to need low and high compression for my requirements..

Verdict..the Wilbers is like the difference between stock shock and R6 mod shock..that much better again..Damping is very sensitive one turn up or down is a noticeable difference as I have tried minor adjustments while sorting the front out..Wilbers spring is easy to adjust having played with it just to see..Quality bit of kit..

Not saying the shock is all singing and dancing but the road ride is loads better than with stock or R6 shock,not surprising as it's built to your weight etc..

Front now has Ktech linear springs 9.5..with 10wt fork oil..settings are compression 8 clicks out from hard.. rebound 10 clicks out from hard..
rides like a different machine...

Well happy  :lol

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 September 2017, 02:09:40 pm »
fair play there's some bollox spouted about suspension here.
the r6 units damping is set for a 350lb bike, so fitting it onto a 450lb fazer is a bit of an ask. luckily the spring rate is ideal for a fazer so the damping has an easy time of it (on the road at least).
i'm back with a standard re gassed/oiled and resprung oe unit after my r6 unit died on track.
the units supplied by luke are 0 mileage units so the oil is nice and fresh so you feel the benefit immediately. i doubt many will last 10k before they get squishy, but at least the spring rate will still be close so will mask most of the symptoms.
FYI the r6 has a 40mm chamber vs 46mm for the fazer.
regarding separate damping circuits, for serious work then yes you need separate circuits to maximise tyre usage, however for road use, a 2:1 ratio is close enough........providing the spring is right.
spring first, then the damping.
furthermore, the TTX units are 36mm chambers and ohlins recommend they are rebuilt every year. the finer adjustment, the more you have to look after it. most peeps on here only change their fork oil when the seal blows.
BTW i used to work for Jim Moodie, so know a thing or 2 about spanner wanking

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2017, 03:27:58 pm »
fair play there's some bollox spouted about suspension here.....most peeps on here only change their fork oil when the seal blows........BTW i used to work for Jim Moodie, so know a thing or 2 about spanner wanking
Wind your neck in mate  :rolleyes You've only been on these forums a couple of months, you're entitled to your opinions of course as you are entitled to do whatever you want with spanners in your spare time  :eek but don't be judging people you know nothing about when it comes to their experience or servicing habits, there's room for any number of opinions and lines of advice it's not just yours that matters.

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2017, 05:55:05 pm »

Lots of interesting opinions to read and that's what the site is for no right or wrong.

I have fitted the R6 shock and weigh in at 15stone with leathers etc.
What I can say is that it is a great mod and changed the way my bike handled corners by an amazing amount.
I cannot claim all of this was down to the R6 shock as the old one was old :-) but forking out to revamp an old shock or fit a 2500 mile R6 was a no brainer for me and no waiting time for revamp.
From what I read before fitting the shorter dog bones help firm up the shock and I have not had to set spring to max for my weight.
Luke is the main man for the mod and I have not read any complaints from his customers, although I did mine myself.

Having said all that I have just brought a Hyperpro even though I know I cant out perform the R6 I just couldn't resist a purple spring shock.

And before I get any remarks it's my money and I can waste it on what I want, just don't tell the Mrs ;-)
Not fitted yet but time will tell.

Kenvis Repesco

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - YAMAHA TRX850
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2017, 09:28:58 pm »
I have a Maxton RT10 on my Fazer and was absolutely astonished at the difference it made.

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2017, 09:47:28 pm »
fair play there's some bollox spouted about suspension here.....most peeps on here only change their fork oil when the seal blows........BTW i used to work for Jim Moodie, so know a thing or 2 about spanner wanking
Wind your neck in mate  :rolleyes You've only been on these forums a couple of months
err............i've been on here since 2010, and yuku before then, just as someone else.
and who died and left you in charge anyway?

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2017, 10:15:46 pm »
Wind your neck in mate  :rolleyes You've only been on these forums a couple of months
err............i've been on here since 2010, and yuku before then, just as someone else.

Funny, I've been on here since 2010 too, as someone else. I also know of two others who are old members and now have new names.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 September 2017, 04:32:53 pm »

Why do I need to be in charge to find your attitude and personal comments about myself and other forum members offensive? As for bollox being spouted about suspension I find that pretty hypocritical given your comment in the dog-bone thread that I had to correct for you.

BTW If you have a legitimate reason for changing your forum name the administrators can do this for you as per Hedgetrimmer and you get to keep your post count.

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 September 2017, 04:54:54 pm »

Why do I need to be in charge to find your attitude and personal comments about myself and other forum members offensive? As for bollox being spouted about suspension I find that pretty hypocritical given your comment in the dog-bone thread that I had to correct for you.

BTW If you have a legitimate reason for changing your forum name the administrators can do this for you as per Hedgetrimmer and you get to keep your post count.
Righto fucknuts
Hypocrite eh. My statement was correct. If you lengthen the dog bones it softens the suspension.
I made no allusion to whether or not it raises or lowers the rear ride height.
And as for my new identity, i don't give a flying fuck about post counts, if someone has something interesting or informative to say, listen, don't judge on their post count. Falcon269 only ever started with 1 post.
Ps I hope you're offended this time.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 September 2017, 06:30:19 pm »
What 5LV says about the R6 shock makes sense to me.  That said, I'm a lightweight (in more ways than one LOL!) and give the shock a lot less to do than the bigger lads on here.  Anyone who has twirled spanners and worked on suspension for Jim Moodie is worth listening to, IMHO.  Certainly see no reason for anyone to be getting heated in this discussion. :)

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 September 2017, 07:01:15 pm »
well said Mike I was beginning to wish I'd never started the thread :o .. let's all call it a day ....