Date: 19-04-24  Time: 15:41 pm

Author Topic: Unknown (yet) problem  (Read 1729 times)

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Unknown (yet) problem
« on: 10 August 2017, 11:55:27 am »
Every time after finishing a ride, if it's passed more than 15min, when I turn to ignition, the pump starts working but shouldn't. You can hear it clicking several times. Then the engine starts (with difficulty) and when it starts you can smell the gasoline.

My mechanic serviced the carburetor recently and changed some rubber seals, for which he suspected could be causing the trouble. For a few days the bike was starting normally and pump wouldn't click after a ride, but now it started clicking again and starts with a difficulty again  :(
What could be causing this ?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown (yet) problem
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2017, 01:53:34 pm »
I could give you a few guesses but the best thing to do is talk to the mechanic and tell him the symptoms. If he's done the work recently he should put it right for you.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2017, 04:14:03 pm »
the pump is a low pressure pump which once it gets to it psi wont pump further (untill engine started and pressure drops)
obviously a fuel leak after the pump would cause this to keep pumping continuously
-you said you can smell fuel which really points in the direction of a leak
and as you said the bike starts with difficulty that is pointing to the carbs not having enough fuel
so i would check that your drain screws have been shut properly touch your float bowls and see if they are wet
and that the pipes between the tank and carbs are not kinked anywhere
when you stop for a ride wait a few seconds then kill the engine with the kill switch wait a few more seconds and turn kill switch back too run - if you hear the fuel pump then it is not getting the fuel it needs at any time
-you will notice we are checking all the free to do things first and what has been or could have been touched

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2017, 05:36:04 pm »
Every time after finishing a ride, if it's passed more than 15min, when I turn to ignition, the pump starts working but shouldn't. You can hear it clicking several times. What could be causing this ?

Says who? The pump is just pressurising the fuel in the carbs. After you turn off the ignition, the pump turns off and pressure leaks back through the system. After a while, could be 15 mins, could be an hour or more, when you turn on the ignition the pump will click for a few seconds as it pressurises again.
If the pump continues to run you have a fuel leak.
If you can smell fuel before starting the bike, you have a fuel leak.

If you have a fuel leak, it should be easy to find.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2017, 06:26:51 pm »
your carbs are flooding possible float height or needle leaking thats why its hard to start and the smell of petrol

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2017, 09:43:31 pm »
The pump doesn't run once it pressurizes the carbs.
I'll have to see it with my mechanic. I don't understand why everything worked for a few days and now started starting with difficulty :(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2017, 06:18:53 am »
My bike sits outside work for 9hrs every day and i don't recall the pump clicking at all when i'm ready to go home, and only a few clicks in the morning too.
Shouldn't be happening after such a short time and you certainly shouldn't be smelling fuel.

If as you say you've had work done on the carbs recently by your mechanic then he needs to take another look 'cos it's obviously not right.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2017, 08:15:56 am »
My bike sits outside work for 9hrs every day and i don't recall the pump clicking at all when i'm ready to go home, and only a few clicks in the morning too.
Shouldn't be happening after such a short time and you certainly shouldn't be smelling fuel.

That's exactly what I'm saying.
While everything worked, the pump wouldn't click, especially after a short ride. But for some reason I think it loses pressure somewhere and obviously needs to regain it.
The question is - how is it possible that everything worked for a few days (the pump wouldn't click), and the over the last few days it just like that started slowly clicking again (after a short ride).
It's been 2 weeks since it's was serviced.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2017, 12:38:34 pm »

shit i think i just got it - you said it struggled to start
if you cant see or feel the fuel leak then
i have a feeling a float needle isnt seating right and is just letting fuel through and flooding your engine giving the difficulties starting.

jesus online problem finding is hard work when a bike isnt infront of you lol

Freza

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2017, 12:50:39 pm »
i have a feeling a float needle isnt seating right and is just letting fuel through and flooding your engine giving the difficulties starting.

Is it possible that it moved somehow, because everything worked fine 2 weeks ago ?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2017, 04:47:22 pm »
 A bit of crap in the fuel can prevent the needle from closing fully.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2017, 01:04:18 pm »
there might be a way to clear crap out of the needle valve without taking the carbs out but dont hold me to this

pick a carb  (one at a time) and put on a drian pipe and drain into a petrol can then turn ignition on so fuel pump starts running
as the drain screw is open you will get fuel flowing at full whack through that one needle and may dislodge the bit of crap (if there)
ignition off, drain screw tightened and repeat to other carb bowls.
shouldnt take more than an hour i would have thought and is only a theory.