Date: 18-04-24  Time: 11:46 am

Author Topic: Whoops! I did it again... (another fairing bites the dust)  (Read 1581 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures

Screwed up my poor Fazer again. Doing a track day over in Folembray, France and balls it all up on the last session pushing it too hard and ran out of skills. Video of action here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXhfPhAB1Bq/?hl=en&taken-by=beginnerbiker

Too wide on one bend, kissed the grass and threw me all out of shape for next chicane. Was on grass when I should have been doing me braking, chap overtook my inside and going spot fast, whole combination just messed me up, bottled it and decided to just run off. But was going too fast to keep it up right on grass. Doh! Bike went down, I just went sliding and came to rest sat on my ass - thankfully no injuries.

Straightened forks, bodged front back together with duct tape and cable ties and rode bike home (though Autoroute at 80-90mph was hard work with no fairing or screen!). Fairing shattered into loads of pieces. Fairing bracket super bent and about to snap now we pushed it back. Light cluster in one piece but lost many mounting lugs. Clocks took a bash, fuel gauge no longer works. Mirrors and screen intact. Small scuff to tank and can. Crash bars protected engine, and Renthal look straight still.

Now I've a dilemma as what to do next, do I:
  • Patch it up: combination of new fairing, bracket, possibly lights, clocks, plus whatever 2nd hand parts I can find. Reckon about £700-800.
  • Street fighter it, big single light on front, faff about trying to mount clocks to yoke etc. Prob about £200-300 odd plus time and faff (I don't have fabrication skills or tools).
  • Stick it on ebay and hope to get £400-500 spares and repairs, plus sell off choice bits separately. Then get another bike.
Bike is getting on a bit (2003 Foxeye), 52k on clock, definitely wasn't pristine and I need to replace it regardless by 2019 due to ULEZ in London (commute to centre daily). Bike has been serviced well, just put new rear disc and pads all round, Hagon shock, Hel lines etc. Even patched up with new parts I think I'd be lucky to get £1.5k for it. Insurance is due start of Sept, might be a good time to get new bike. Could scrape together a couple of grand and see what I can pick up (FZ6, Fazer8, FZ1, CBF600, CBF1000 or something along those lines)

What would you do?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Whoops! I did it again... (another fairing bites the dust)
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2017, 12:42:55 pm »

Glad you're OK!
I'd patch it up back to something like standard. There are aftermarket pattern fairings available for £145 on ebay, though they are unpainted. Most other bits you should be able to pick up fairly cheaply 2nd hand.
But if you don't have the space/time/enthusiasm to do the work, flog it as is and get something newer.

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2017, 01:28:39 pm »
Gutted for you.

If it were me and I had time, I'd be really tempted to try and street fighter it. Some of the naked ones that have come up on here recently looked really good for fairly minimal expense (round headlight, indicators, new clocks if you need them).  Clock bracket shouldn't be too hard to figure out using off the shelf parts or minimal fabrication.

Then just run it until the ULEZ comes around (assuming the 'goalposts' haven't changed again in the meantime) and get something Euro compliant then.  If it's still going strong at that stage, selling it already fightered should make better money than selling a "project" now you would have thought.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2017, 01:37:02 pm »
If you decide to repair, I've got a fairing you can have for free. Donated to me by Graham53 so happy to pass it on. Needs only minor repairs. It's the right blue, and I'm fairly close to you.....
« Last Edit: 08 August 2017, 01:37:50 pm by mtread »

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2017, 02:26:04 pm »
Fazerider:
Yep, seen the fibreglass copies, did buy one a couple of years ago after my last off... Didn't use in the end, as it was more economical to buy a genuine one fully painted for £200, as I was quote £100+ to get one sprayed to match.
Decent fairing brackets and lights for the Foxeye aren't so easy to come buy second hand.

mtread:
Cool. That's definitely an option to help get me back on the road. I'll be in touch.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2017, 07:27:46 pm »
"...bike's getting on a bit..."  :rollin

You've got THE latest carb model.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2017, 07:51:29 pm »
"...bike's getting on a bit..."  :rollin

You've got THE latest carb model.  :lol

Looking at all the bikes made afterwards, if I had to choose any bike, it would be another carbed fzs600 in mint condition. Though I prefer the box eye design.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.