Date: 19-04-24  Time: 03:05 am

Author Topic: Clutch bite  (Read 1660 times)

mofofo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Clutch bite
« on: 06 August 2017, 07:11:54 am »
Hi all hoping for some advice. Clutch bites very late with no progression. Almost like a on/off switch.cable has been adjusted at the lever but still no progression. Been to 2 mechanics, 1 suggests a new clutch pack, other recommends adjustment under the tank. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Clutch bite
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2017, 12:41:21 am »
Hi all hoping for some advice. Clutch bites very late with no progression. Almost like a on/off switch.cable has been adjusted at the lever but still no progression.

Unfortunately that's just what the FZ6 clutch is like! All you're doing with the cable is adjusting the free-play on the lever. Once the adjuster on the bar is all the way out (as the cable stretches in use), you have to do the adjustment under the tank which I did recently and was an utter PITA :(

You need to raise the tank, unbolt the battery clamp, then lift the airbox (which needs extra long allen keys to get to the bolts which connect it to the throttle bodies) just to get to one little adjuster!

However what that does mean is that you can then get rid of the OEM clutch lever and get some of this style: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Short-CNC-Brake-Clutch-lever-For-YAMAHA-FZ6-N-S-2004-2007-FZ6-NA-07-09-/272311990494

They don't change the on/off nature of the clutch, but you can bring the bite point in closer to the bar which makes it easier and requires less of a stretch to reach it.

There's one other option which is to get someone to make you a longer actuator (the black lever on top of the clutch cover on the right hand side of the bike) which will give you a longer friction zone.

I did think about it some years back, but didn't bother in the end and I'm used to it now.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2017, 12:43:45 am by Grahamm »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch bite
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2017, 12:01:54 pm »
I found the clutch heavy to use, particularly in traffic and trackdays, and I reckon it was responsible for causing my trigger finger problem. So, I replaced mine with a Magura hydraulic unit from Venhill. Absolutely transformed the bike. No more pulling from the shoulder/aching fingers/wrist. One finger pull now. Brilliant bit of kit