Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:06 pm

Author Topic: Holy Cow why is my spark plug like this?!!  (Read 3376 times)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Holy Cow why is my spark plug like this?!!
« Reply #25 on: 02 September 2017, 01:17:20 pm »
never used a torque wrench on plugs - unless you are being a fool and swinging off a cheater bar you aint likely to overtighten them

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 September 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
I mean use a torque wrench to achieve the required torque. Not a high torque.
13Nm according to the manual.

You don't want them in too tight if subject to corrosion. It's not uncommon for a plug to shear off when you remove it, leaving the thread and ceramic stuck in the engine and then you really are foc'd.

I try and use a torque wrench as much as possible on everything since discovering how rubbish I am at judging torques..
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 01:48:17 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 September 2017, 02:29:50 pm »
Ha ha thank you all:) well, with new plugs in seems to ride a bit better with the new plugs. I don't own a torque wrench so I'll have to get one and get them in there properly. I'm assuming that a dodgy spark won't change the carb balancing? Or will I need to balance the carbs again?

It's definatly rust, not copperslip or poo....or curry :D

How do you know for certain, have you licked it? :eek

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 September 2017, 02:46:27 pm »
I mean use a torque wrench to achieve the required torque. Not a high torque.
13Nm according to the manual.

You don't want them in too tight if subject to corrosion. It's not uncommon for a plug to shear off when you remove it, leaving the thread and ceramic stuck in the engine and then you really are foc'd.

I try and use a torque wrench as much as possible on everything since discovering how rubbish I am at judging torques..

I use the torque wrench on most stuff, but things like brake caliper bolts for example i don't any more. I'm not heavy handed anyway because i deal with expensive and sensitive equipment at work, but you do get a general feel for what's right and wrong.
In the same breath a lot of people don't realise you shouldn't use copper grease with a torque wrench as it totally throws settings off and it will tighten way past the set level before it clicks, as i found out with a rear caliper pad pin a few years back.
If you use engine oil as a lube then torque settings will remain accurate though.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.