Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:40 pm

Author Topic: Foccin Scammers  (Read 2577 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Foccin Scammers
« on: 31 July 2017, 11:50:57 am »

Twice this year my in-laws have been taken for mugs.

The first time, costing about £10K, they were scammed into getting a thermodynamic water heater on the basis they would save electricity. I calculated it would take about 20 years to recoup the cost in saved electricity. The in-laws are well into their 70's so will never see that!

This time, two weeks ago while we were on holiday, some other bastard came round to clean the gutters. On doing that, he "noticed" some problems with the roof and gave the father-in-law a lift to the bank to get several £k in cash to pay for materials etc.
the next day they started by ripping all the tiles off the roof and took him to the bank again. This time the cashier realised what was going on and called the police. The fraudsters did a runner leaving the roof with no tiles on. feccers

We got back from holiday a week ago but obviously they were too ashamed to admit anything so we didn't find out till the Mrs went round on Friday night. cue lots of running around this weekend to make the place watertight again but too late to save the ceilings in two of the bedrooms. Now we have to find rofers and cladding people to put it all right.

And to top it all, the insurance company don't want to know as the fraudsters were given permission to do work.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: Foccin Scammers
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2017, 12:02:19 pm »
People who do this make me sick to my stomach. Sorry to hear of this,hope your parents get it all sorted.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2017, 12:34:57 pm »
These bastards should be publicly flogged,but sadly they probably will never be caught C***s

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2017, 12:43:11 pm »
These bastards should be publicly flogged,but sadly they probably will never be caught C***s

If I had my way, the punishment would be significantly more painful and longer lasting than that.

On the good news side of things, the feccer may have dropped a clanger. It sounds like they called a day or so later pretending to be the police and gave the father-in-law some bank details to pay money into. This has been passed to the real police who hopefully will follow it up and catch the feccers.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2017, 07:35:54 pm »
 Jesus Bbrown, that’s a bleedin nightmare.
Sorry to hear you and your family are having such hassels. 

Both my parents got dementia.  Both were in denial and I couldn’t get them any help no matter how much I tried.
Long story, but along the way they got defrauded of just over 10K. 
Somebody managed to take out internet banking for them and started emptying their account.  Bank refunded the money straight away.  I thought that was odd, plus neither they or Action Fraud would reveal any details.
Did have to chase quite a few sales types away but didn’t have too many issues that way, but did have lots of other fun I can tell you.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2017, 08:02:21 pm »

Well said.

They must have no conscience whatsoever. They are a sort of sub-species of humans.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2017, 08:12:03 pm »
Can your wife not talk them round to letting yous guys take control of their finances BB?.....sounds like they've been targeted so the likelihood is that it wont be the last time it happens.

Even if they were to tell these types...'my son, daughter or whoever' controls my finances...maybe that's enough to put them off if they realise someone else is about to find out pronto and rumble them.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2017, 08:21:56 pm »
Jesus, if you believe in hell there must be standing room only, every day you see/read/hear stories like this. Cnuts praying on the elderly, infirm & vulnerable, but its hardly surprising considering the punishment rarely fits the crime.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2017, 09:58:43 pm »

Jesus, if you believe in hell there must be standing room only, every day you see/read/hear stories like this. Cnuts praying on the elderly, infirm & vulnerable, but its hardly surprising considering the punishment rarely fits the crime.
You're dead right Dea-ville, it's crazy that you can get 6 months for 130mph on a quiet dual carriageway but these sub human scumbags, if they can be arsed to track them down and get them into court will probably get 20 hours community service.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2017, 10:00:37 pm »

Can your wife not talk them round to letting yous guys take control of their finances BB?.....sounds like they've been targeted so the likelihood is that it wont be the last time it happens.

Even if they were to tell these types...'my son, daughter or whoever' controls my finances...maybe that's enough to put them off if they realise someone else is about to find out pronto and rumble them.

Several years ago, the FIL had major problems sorting out power of attorney when his mother was in a home and unable to deal with things. As a result, the in-laws sorted that out for my wife and her brother so when the time came it was sorted.
We don't want to go ni heavy handed and just do it so we have suggested to them a couple times over the last couple of days that maybe they should start looking at putting a limit on transactions with the bank that don't have a signature from my wife or her brother to stop this happening again. Trouble is, the in-laws think they know what they are doing.  :wall

I don't think it will be too long before we enforce it for their own good but don't want to upset them in the process.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2017, 11:04:17 pm »
Technically you can't enforce POA.
Assuming there is no springing clause you can assist.
If they are declared incapcitated then you are in control.  Doctors are rightly reluctant to declare anybody incapcitated.
One way forward might be to limit what is in their current account, and try and stop them accesssing any savings.
A meeting with them, your wife and the bank might help.  Sounds like the bank has been helpful already.

Hope your sister gets on with her brother.  Having two names on a POA document can be fun.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: 01 August 2017, 09:00:04 am »
:agree

Yes, the Mrs and her brother get on OK.

By enforce, I mean enact/use/whatever to get the banks to limit what they can access without second signatures from one of their off-spring. We don't want to control them, just protect them from themselves.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 August 2017, 09:44:30 am »
Bob, I've got my MIL  online banking so I can nick it before the scumbags do!!
Seriously though, she now runs everything past us before jumping in anywhere so fingers crossed she wont get caught.

I do appreciate the awkwardness of helping the inlaws with their financial affairs  :rolleyes

Maybe you could do a door to door of their neighbours to see if anyone saw any sign written vans owned by the cnuts?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2017, 12:15:43 pm »
Maybe you could do a door to door of their neighbours to see if anyone saw any sign written vans owned by the cnuts?

The police have done that.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2017, 04:09:47 pm »
They will have moved on since the offence and trying the same tricks in another part of the country.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2017, 06:36:22 pm »

Yes, the Mrs and her brother get on OK.

That’s good.  Hopefully it will stay that way.  I had great difficulties with my sister. 

It’s worth working out what sort of POA your in laws have and what it covers (if your wife hasn't already that is).  There should also be a government guide to acting as an attorney.  It’s worth reading, at least the Scottish one was anyway.

My parents took out POA documents with springing clauses naming each other, then falling to my sister and myself jointly.  Good money for almost useless documents.  They never even told me that they had set these documents up.  My father’s document was of some use as his alzheimer’s was advancing, but basically my mother’s documents got binned and I helped her arrange a new one.

So, hopefully your wife has a document with her name and her brothers name on the certificate.  Hopefully there is no springing clause.   Further hopefully they are not named jointly as that will restrict what you can do individually, at many banks.  Which is a thing, you’ll find all the banks treat POA in their own way.

But yeah, the sooner they let you give them help where they need it the easier it is in the long run.  I tried again and again to get help for my parents.  I managed to sort of keep them on the straight and narrow for a number of years then the wheels fell off. 

« Last Edit: 01 August 2017, 09:35:50 pm by VNA »