Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:31 pm

Author Topic: Don't be selling your Fazer  (Read 4894 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Don't be selling your Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2017, 10:13:52 am »
It was going fine, until the last one in the set - 'any Harley Davidson'  :eek

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2017, 11:01:20 am »
It was going fine, until the last one in the set - 'any Harley Davidson'  :eek

:lol  They're "classic" when brand new, just not in the way the article's author might be thinking.

In truth, everyone would come up with a different list if asked to give their opinion on the top 10 future classics. I'd have to throw in the Street Triple, but biased cos I had one. Fazer 600 definitely. Still the bike I'd recommend to any new rider, or to anyone for general all round brilliance. Of course, I'd list the gen 1 thou as well for all round brilliance  :D

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2017, 02:02:20 pm »
'Before the decade is out the current supply of clean, low milers at around the grand mark will have dried up' I think he's already a bit late with that one.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2017, 02:03:35 pm »
Defo agree with the VFR very similar bike to the Fazer 1000 in that it'll do everything but came before the Fazer so in my book will or should be a classic a few years before the Fazer gets there.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
I had a 1988 VFR750FJ and it was probably the best bike I've ever owned, the only thing working against it becoming a classic is it's built quality and longevity. There's still a plentiful supply of tidy ones around, although prices are already increasing.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2017, 08:38:35 am »
Ten years time things might be electric and gas guzzlers will be outlawed ! :\

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2017, 06:15:50 am »
Yep,does that mean that the bottom of the"Classic" market will drop out,and I'll be able to pick up a RD 250 for £250 again? 8) !
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 06:16:51 am by redfox1 »

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2017, 10:48:01 am »
 I wonder if the idea of what's a 'classic' is mainly a generational thing. There are some solid gold classics, because they were ground breaking and special even when new, Brough Superiors, Vincent Black Shadows and the like but they were hand built in limited numbers and will always be valuable. Even bikes like the early bonnevilles and 500 Goldstars that are now fetching £12-15,000+  were churned out by the 1000s and are still relatively plentiful and even humble commuter 350cc Matchless and AJSs are going for £2000+ but who's going to be buying these bikes once the guys who used to ride them in their youth have all fallen off their perches? I love the old British bikes but I wouldn't want to own one. So when the number of people wanting these bikes is fewer than those available, the value is surely going to drop and some owners will get burned. I wonder how many 17 year olds just getting into bikes now are looking at the old Z900s and CB750s as the bikes the want when they can afford them, I suspect not many.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 12:24:44 pm by vinnyb »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2017, 01:57:55 pm »
Fair point vinnyb. Most years I watch the bikes start off at Tattenham Corner on the annual Pioneer Run, which is for pre1915 veteran bikes. I have no real interest in the belt drive flat tankers, but regard the event as the opener in a new years biking season. However if this event was for Goldies, Bonnies,Road Rockets etc, I would be all over it like a rash as it's an era I relate to and was part of.  The same goes for the value of these bikes. I can appreciate the value and rarity in say a Rocket Gold Star, but not in something that needs to be pushed up hills even though it's 100 plus years old.
You are perfectly correct. It's only going to be a special niche of people who will appreciate and attach value to bikes way out of their age zone in the future.   
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2017, 02:07:16 pm »
Yep,does that mean that the bottom of the"Classic" market will drop out,and I'll be able to pick up a RD 250 for £250 again? 8) !
Yes, but only if you can put a Kubota Diesel engine in and run it on used chip fat. :\
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2017, 12:20:58 am »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CD-175-cd-175/152385199080
 So if you could either this or a clean low mileage 600 Fazer which would you pick? 2 foccing grand?????

Waterhouse

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2017, 09:02:44 pm »
Hello all I'm new to the forum. I have my mod 2 test coming up soon and am thinking of a fazer 600. I've seen one I like locally. It's the 1998 600 in red I'm just wondering what kind of price I should be looking at. It says it's only 1700 miles and been sat for 16 years new battery and starts and runs fine. Will it need coolant oil tyres fork seals or anything else changing ? As I say fairly new to biking and fazers. So all advice welcome
Thanks.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 August 2017, 02:30:35 pm »
Hi there Waterhouse  and welcome.  You'll need to  change all of what you've said. Anything liquid or rubber, for starters. 
Personally i wouldn't want  a bike like this, although it  must be immaculate.  Probably  carb issues will arise soon. Is the tank clean inside. Parking up for that length of time, why would anyone do that.  Anyway,  good luck

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 August 2017, 10:09:17 pm »

Yep I wouldn't buy a  :faz with the view that it'll appreciated in value any time soon. At the same time I agree, don't be selling your fazer.
I've been looking for a fazer replacement for a while now without actually buying anything. I've come to thje conclusion that I want another bike but also want to keep the fazer.
This causes some friction with me and the missus. I'll miss her when she eventually goes (the missus that is).
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2017, 01:09:21 pm »

Yep I wouldn't buy a  :faz with the view that it'll appreciated in value any time soon. At the same time I agree, don't be selling your fazer.
I've been looking for a fazer replacement for a while now without actually buying anything. I've come to thje conclusion that I want another bike but also want to keep the fazer.
This causes some friction with me and the missus. I'll miss her when she eventually goes (the missus that is).
Rode my mates CBF 1000 (Gen 1) the other day, was a lot more like my Foxeye than my Gen. 1 thou. was. If you want a 'bigger newer Foxeye' with more torque and easier power without the monster performance of the thou. these are definitely worth a try. Still regret selling my thou as it was a beauty.

« Last Edit: 09 September 2017, 01:10:21 pm by Carlsv8 »
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2017, 10:29:36 am »

Rode my mates CBF 1000 (Gen 1) the other day, was a lot more like my Foxeye than my Gen. 1 thou. was. If you want a 'bigger newer Foxeye' with more torque and easier power without the monster performance of the thou. these are definitely worth a try. Still regret selling my thou as it was a beauty.

I swapped over from a foxeye 600 to  CBF1000 and got to say, for me , its the perfect bike.. pity I couldn't keep both bikes :(
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!