Date: 26-04-24  Time: 16:27 pm

Author Topic: Fork springs  (Read 782 times)

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
Fork springs
« on: 29 July 2017, 12:06:05 am »
Promoto
Wilbers
Hyperpro
Ohlins

All recommend progressive for the road and linear for the track - makes sense

Are these springs all of good quality and relatively equal?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Fork springs
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2017, 12:54:23 am »
Promoto
Wilbers
Hyperpro
Ohlins

All recommend progressive for the road and linear for the track - makes sense

Are these springs all of good quality and relatively equal?

I have fitted Ohlin Linears (Spring rate suited to my togged rider weight) on my 2003 FZS600 Fazer and I am very pleased with them.
Takena lot of the jarring out of bumps, better on wrists, shoulders, generally more comfortable and feel better in bumpy turns and bends as the geometry of the bike does not change as it can with the OEM Yamaha springs.

I have heard said that the original OEM Yammy springs are progressives but take one out and look at it and there are two definite spring rates, thay do not change progressively but a definite step change, they used to be called dual rate springs. Hit a big bump mid bend and the spring rate changes with the step in spring winding and it can cause stability problems.
True progressive spring must change their rate throughout the total length of the spring with no step, if they don't then they are not true progressives.

I also have cartridge emulators fitted to front forks (YSS) along with the Ohlin Linears.
The back end is damped with a Nitron R1 monoshock manifactured to my rider weight.

My riding style is spirited and this set up suits me, wife says it is more comfortable on the pillion as well.