Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:57 pm

Author Topic: Yamaha Price Increases  (Read 3098 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Yamaha Price Increases
« on: 24 July 2017, 08:40:48 pm »
Looks like BREXIT has struck again. :rolleyes   Don’t know if this is across the whole range but Yamaha have certainly increased the list price of the MT10.

MT10 is now £10,999 – that’s up a grand in one year. :eek
MT10 SP is now £13,699 (up 300 quid on it’s launch just a few months ago)

It can only get worse.

Also it seems the Bank of England is getting increasing nervous of the credit bubble, and in particular the PCP credit bubble.  Will we see an increase in the base rate before the end of the year?

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
Re: Yamaha Price Increases
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2017, 09:18:43 pm »
The way I see it, for most of the world's working class, it has been and will continue to get slightly worse in most accounts from year to year.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2017, 11:04:11 pm »
This kind of thing has been happening for years, Brexit or no Brexit. And even if it is to do with Brexit, what's the use in pointing that out? If you can't afford them, don't buy them.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2017, 11:40:02 pm »
This kind of thing has been happening for years, Brexit or no Brexit. And even if it is to do with Brexit, what's the use in pointing that out? If you can't afford them, don't buy them.
WRONG I 100% Agree with Corbinvna, the rich should pay for us all to have an MT10
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2017, 04:03:57 pm »
Corbinalalaland

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2017, 05:14:32 pm »
  Was just wondering if anybody had noted any other model or manufacturer increases.
If you can't afford them, don't buy them.
I think that’s one of the current economic worries.  Our economy is running to a large degree on credit.  PCP allows people to drive or ride about on machines they can’t afford to buy – but for how long?

Three big new fancy dealerships (probably the same company) have opened in Hillington just outside Glasgow.  OK so it’s West Coast Harley and Ducati moving out of the city and tying up with a new Triumph dealership (Triumph have been without a Glasgow outlet for a while).  Fancy purpose-built outlet, nice café fae a cappuccino and a panini or whatever. Shifting loads of bikes out the door – no doubt all on PCP. 

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2017, 05:27:12 pm »
Took my Tiger into the local Triumph dealer for its 2 year service recently. Service Manager asked me if it was on PCP. 'No I bought it new outright cash' I replied. He looked at me as if I was bonkers. Good news is that when PCP all goes bad, there's going to be a lot of very cheap 2 and 3 year old bikes out there  :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 July 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
  One thing I was wondering is it just an MT10 increase - as Yamaha seem to be able to sell as many MT10's as they can get in the country - or is it a wider increase?

Can't say I watch prices much.  But as I've been dithering over the MT10 I've been paying attention to it's price.

Took my Tiger into the local Triumph dealer for its 2 year service recently. Service Manager asked me if it was on PCP. 'No I bought it new outright cash' I replied. He looked at me as if I was bonkers. Good news is that when PCP all goes bad, there's going to be a lot of very cheap 2 and 3 year old bikes out there  :)

When I was in the Yamaha dealer they went through their PCP deal with me.  They asked me what I thought and I told them I wasn't interested.  The response was sort of - oh.  Now if the demo had of been available that day and I liked it I would have pushed to find out what the deal was.  But you know what, I got the distinct feeling they ain't interested in cash. 

Yup the sooner PCP crashes the better (as surely it's bound to do so), not just for used deals but for new deals too.

One used dealer said to me the other week - with franchises PCPing new bikes, getting them back in 2,3,4 years later and re PCP ing, we’ll soon get to the point where nobody is sure what the true used value is as nobody is actually buying anything. 

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2017, 10:31:57 pm »
Don't you think,that with the old fazer you're kinda kicking the trend?

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2017, 10:42:12 am »
its the same with cars.
I've never seen so many new cars around here in all the years I've lived here.
a lot of them are 4x4's and driven by mothers on school run.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2017, 12:15:33 pm »
Don't you think,that with the old fazer you're kinda kicking the trend?
Indeed. Probably worth the same they were 6 or 7 years ago

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2017, 05:42:15 pm »
It'll all come crashing down again.

Yup bought the Fazer new (pre reg new) in 2004.

It's hard to think of a bike that really does it all like the old thou (including that is looking half decent).

Won't be trading her in though, and frankly they ain't worth much now anyway.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2017, 06:04:16 pm »
Likewise the old 600. And it was cheaper  :b

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2017, 09:52:02 pm »
Cant remember the details but i remember reading the 2017 Mt10 has been upgraded so could explain the price increase
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 July 2017, 09:56:47 pm »
Indeed.
I bought a new Fazer600 in 1999.  There was a Yamaha dealer in Ayr and one in Glasgow at the time.
I wanted to buy from the Glasgow Dealer (they used to be good) but he basically told me he couldn't get enougth 600's and pretty much sold em all on finance.  His words were "cash doesn't really do anything for us".  I told him the dealer in Ayr was knocking 400 quid off the list price.  The best he would do was knock 100 quid off.
I basically got shown the door cos I had a big wad of cash. :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2017, 09:57:39 pm »
Cant remember the details but i remember reading the 2017 Mt10 has been upgraded so could explain the price increase

This is the second increase this year though.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 July 2017, 05:37:08 am »
These car & bike dealers are in a win-win situation with PCP deals. They are able to secure sales to customers barely able to afford them, offering a small initial deposit & say 3 years repayments at a relatively low level. Most buyers I imagine would be looking at a new replacement vehicle after this period rather than stumping up several grand as a final payment on their now much reduced in value vehicle. So another new car or bike on the good old PCP.
There have been severalwarnings issued recently about record levels of individual debt & its only a matter of time til they raise interest rates for borrowers which will be the final straw for many currently living way beyond their means. Result: economic depression/stagnation and reduction in sales leading to market flooded with unsold new/second hand(pre owned as they like to say!) vehicles.
Cash buyers currently seen as a nuisance by many dealers will have their day & be able to strike a good deal as traders cash flow dries up in a much reduced market..
I have a theory that the government has permitted ,indeed encouraged ,debt to keep the the countrys tills ringing -you only have to look at the abysmal rates offered to savers. My building society has reduced their interest rates across the range of their accounts recently & is only paying 0.7% on limited access saver accounts-down from 0.85% previously. Without credit sales the true extent of the countrys situation would become apparent. Simple economics dictate that this situation cannot go on indefinitely and sooner or later we will once again enter the "bust" phase of the good old "boom & bust" cycle.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #17 on: 27 July 2017, 01:04:50 pm »
The key thing that has put me off PCP deals, is the often low mileage allowance. So, you're either stumped with excess mileage charges or end up negotiating a not so cheap monthly rate. I've been averaging close on 10k a year just from modest commuting and not even much touring...

Also, as a London commuter, I'm always going to pick up the odd scuff and scrape, is inevitable. All of which will bite you in the ass when 3 years is up and the dealer works out if the bike is really still worth the value it is supposed to. If not, again you'll be out of pocket.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 July 2017, 06:04:15 pm »

Most buyers I imagine would be looking at a new replacement vehicle after this period rather than stumping up several grand as a final payment on their now much reduced in value vehicle. So another new car or bike on the good old PCP.

Which is where the problem kicks in.  PCP works well for people with strong incomes who desire a new car every 2,3 or 4 years.  But as you point out Dave this thing has grown legs and dealers are now selling new cars to folks on PCP who would not be able otherwise to ‘afford’ a new car (ie miss selling the product).  Those purchasers are going to start coming back to dealers soon looking for their next new car.  They will have neither a trade in nor a deposit for their next PCP and they certainly won’t be able to settle the balloon payment on their existing car. 

The manufacturers, distributors and dealers are only in a win win situation for a few years.

Cash buyers currently seen as a nuisance by many dealers
It’s true and I’ll never understand that.  Why would you ever want to turn away the dudes who actually have the dosh! 

Simple economics dictate that this situation cannot go on indefinitely and sooner or later we will once again enter the "bust" phase of the good old "boom & bust" cycle.

Absolutely.  Problem is we are going to have a bust this time without having had any boom. What’s more the Bank of England won’t be able to use one of it’s key tools for stimulating an economy in recession – that is lowering interest rates.  Unless that is that you think ‘lowering’ the base rate from a quarter of one percent to an eighth of one percent actually means anything.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #19 on: 27 July 2017, 06:58:02 pm »
Cash buyers currently seen as a nuisance by many dealers
It’s true and I’ll never understand that.  Why would you ever want to turn away the dudes who actually have the dosh! 

Because dealers earn a nice commission on the finance they can sell. Profit margins on the vehicle itself will always be tight, so they'll be somewhat reliant on profit from selling finance.

Best plan is to negotiate price/extras etc, then disclose you're a cash buyer.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 July 2017, 07:28:03 pm »
How do you ask what the cash price is without indicating you're a cash buyer? :rolleyes

At the end of the day if they won't cut me a good deal I'll go to another dealer.  The problem with living in Scotland is that means a good bit of distance or even buying the bike abroad in England.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 July 2017, 02:28:17 am »
Don’t know if this is across the whole range but Yamaha have certainly increased the list price of the MT10.

MT09

2014 - £6,799
2016 - £7349 +8%
2017 - £7999 +18%

MT10

2016 - £9999
2017 - £10999 +10%

Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 July 2017, 08:46:45 am »
Don’t know if this is across the whole range but Yamaha have certainly increased the list price of the MT10.

MT09

2014 - £6,799
2016 - £7349 +8%
2017 - £7999 +18%

MT10

2016 - £9999
2017 - £10999 +10%

Tracer 700
October 2016         £6195 OTR
Spring 2017           £7129  "

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 July 2017, 11:11:10 am »
I think Yamaha will get away with these increases because the bikes started at reasonable prices. Puts the ridiculous 2001 £8k tag of the gen 1 thou into perspective though. £10999 still gets you a lot of bike in the MT10. Thing is, I reckon they sold enough while at the lower figure that there'll be some nicely priced second hand examples for those who don't want to splash out for new. I've often relied on this to get to own the bikes I've wanted, so these increases don't really bother me that much.