Date: 19-04-24  Time: 19:07 pm

Author Topic: Have I blown my battery  (Read 1282 times)

Just a Faze im in

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Have I blown my battery
« on: 23 July 2017, 10:33:51 pm »
Hello all,

I removed my front fairing, speedo, headlights and changed handlebars today.

All went smoothly until I went to start it and nothing happened.  Tried for another 30 secs and it finally worked and off I went, bike seemed to be running well and all electrics working.

Got home and starting issue is still there, will not respond to start button but eventually will start.  I have a look at the starter relay and undo the two bolts and positive battery terminal (I should have undone negative too, doh) one of the starter relay terminals drops onto the positive terminal, sparks and bike turns over a couple of times til I knock it away.

Put it all back together and now I have no electrics to lights indicators etc. Took battery out and when on charger it states flat battery, start charger and it shows full battery, turn off drops back to flat battery.

So have I cooked my battery?

What could have caused the first starting problem? Should i replace the starter relay?

Checked all fuses and none blown.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Have I blown my battery
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2017, 10:54:09 pm »
Hi,
I think the first place I would start looking is under the left hand front fairing infill panel if you have no power to the lights indicators etc.

Under the left hand side (Clutch lever side) infill panel is a large (white in colour) multiple electrical connector, it is a known issue with the FZS 600 water gets into this connector and the terminals in there corrode and cause all sorts of intermittent headlight side light speedo and rev counter issues.

It is two screws to remove this infill panel, after removing switch ignition on and lights and pull and push this connector about if the instruments, lights, indicators and ignition lights come on and go off as your are wiggling the connector you have found your problem.

That would be my starting point trying to solve the problem, especially as that is the area that you have most recently worked on.

It is also a possibility that dropping the starter relay onto the battery causing sparks has /maybe screwed it, but try the connector block mentioned above before you spend any money

Let us know how you get on.

tommy

Just a Faze im in

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2017, 11:00:12 pm »
Thanks Tommy but my lights, etc were working before I dropped the starter relay terminal onto the battery. Not afterwards thou.

As for the starting problem that occured first it could be a connector issue. It's very strange. Will check all the connectors once I get power back working.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2017, 11:27:59 pm »
------
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 04:43:22 pm by Disorderlypunk »

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2017, 04:42:57 pm »
reposted as something hapenned to all the sizes
as you think its the battery then just start with looking at that (lights etc off)
1:- do you have a electrical tester - get bike running on bike batt and test your voltage is 14-14.8 volts while running.(bet its low)
     -infact what was it reading before and after running
2:- take a battery from a mates bike or use jump leads to a car battery
     (not a running car and do not have your bike battery in the setup as you are only using the car battery as a bike battery)
     while running test voltage on car battery -if voltages seem ok then test your lighting system

let us know the results
if you read anything above 15v across the battery kill engine and instantly disconnect battery (reg/rec gone) battery cooked
if you read well below 14v then its not creating enough juice and is likely a reg/rec gone battery might be savable
if all is reading as it should then you know the issue is elsewhere in the system (i hate electrics for fault finding)
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 04:44:20 pm by Disorderlypunk »

Just a Faze im in

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2017, 09:15:09 pm »
Uggh!  I had the cables the wrong way around on the starter solinoid!

Thanks for the help though.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2017, 11:18:00 pm »
im not laughing i promise
-thats why i label everything with masking tape and a sharpie when it wont be obvious after all the work