Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:02 pm

Author Topic: Just bought a 1000 Fazer  (Read 19097 times)

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought a 1000 Fazer
« Reply #50 on: 12 August 2017, 06:45:26 am »

and I said last post a while back!

Anyway, the waterleak was from one of the pipes that run through the rocker cover, it wasn't sealing on the corroded metal pipe - seems good after being attacked by a bit of wet and dry.

Now leaking from the rad cap with a hot engine - I might get there eventually! 
edit: Thermostat's jammed shut, ok it's slightly opening but no where near fully, can't help but wonder who looked after this bike in the past!  Also sheared one of the stat housing bolts, so probably just get a replacement housing.  That's my rally out of the window :-(

Speedo still not working, but I popped the clocks apart to be greeted by an unmistakable smell of fried electronics - I'm an ex-electronics engineer, once smelled never forgotten.  Got a guaranteed working set of clocks on their way from a crashed bike, got 'em cheap as the mounting lugs are broken.  Hopefully that will cure it!  There's not much else it could be either - haha.  Found my old GPS, won't charge on it's bike mound but will from 240v and runs about 3 hours on battery - that'll do for Mr Plod until I get the bike speedo working.

« Last Edit: 12 August 2017, 10:41:20 am by reggit »

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 August 2017, 09:40:19 am »

At last!

New clocks and 2 new sensors (all used) has it working!  1st replacement sensor worked initially, but died very quickly.  Suspect the fault on the original clocks killed it.

Replacement thermostat housing and 'stat fitted and she seems like she's good to go.

I'm sure something else will rear it's ugly head in the very near future.  It needs replacement chain/sprox, but not counting this as a fault as they are consumables.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2017, 02:58:34 am by reggit »

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21 August 2017, 09:26:19 pm »
Glad you're gradually getting your bike sorted and hopefully enjoying riding it, old school by today standards but still clip along at a reasonable rate when you're of a mind to. :)

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26 August 2017, 12:51:22 pm »
Last (I hope) fault found and rectified!

The coolant leaks seem to have been caused by the engine coolant over pressurising.  I found the pipe to the expansion tank was blocked.  Git this cleared out now and it seems ok.  I'll be having a few rides out close to home whilst my confidence is building that the bike isn't going to let me down!

I've never known anything with so many little faults!

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26 August 2017, 05:47:58 pm »
Yup, but you're doing a bang-up job of finding and fixing them! :)

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27 August 2017, 07:43:20 am »

Lost the will to live with it, still losing water and the high temperature warning popped on after 10-15 miles taking it easy.
It's now on ebay, as a spares/repair project. 

I don't like to give in, but wanted a bike I could ride with little work and my other 2 are in bits needing work (350LC needs engine rebuild and Honda CB1000 needs frame repair due to rust).  I'll undoubtedly make a loss on this fazer, but hopefully will get my life back.

Bought another which looks like it's had a better life and comes with suspension upgrades and ignition advancer etc.  Picking it up on Tuesday.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 27 August 2017, 05:54:43 pm »
Sorry to hear that Reggit. I know what you mean. I've had the same scenario in the past. When the stress / number of new issues, starts out weighing the satisfaction of the completed jobs, the fun ends and the pot of enthusiasm runs dry.
Sadly, not many people are that interested in buying a bike with issues though. Hope I'm wrong and that it sells quickly and you get what you want for it.

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 August 2017, 06:08:26 pm »
Sorry to hear that Reggit. I know what you mean. I've had the same scenario in the past. When the stress / number of new issues, starts out weighing the satisfaction of the completed jobs, the fun ends and the pot of enthusiasm runs dry.
Sadly, not many people are that interested in buying a bike with issues though. Hope I'm wrong and that it sells quickly and you get what you want for it.

It'll sell, listed with no reserve.  If it looks like I'll only get a pittance for it, I'll probably pull the auction and shove it in the back of the garage until I feel like looking at it again.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #58 on: 27 August 2017, 07:26:01 pm »

Lost the will to live with it, still losing water and the high temperature warning popped on after 10-15 miles taking it easy.
It's now on ebay, as a spares/repair project. 

I don't like to give in, but wanted a bike I could ride with little work and my other 2 are in bits needing work (350LC needs engine rebuild and Honda CB1000 needs frame repair due to rust).  I'll undoubtedly make a loss on this fazer, but hopefully will get my life back.

Bought another which looks like it's had a better life and comes with suspension upgrades and ignition advancer etc.  Picking it up on Tuesday.

A shame but probably the right decision....I have an old car that I know I should make the same call over................

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 27 August 2017, 07:59:30 pm »
So close.  Well, if it doesn't meet a decent reserve on ebay, maybe you'll get chance to revisit it later when you feel a bit more inclined to try again. :)

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 27 August 2017, 10:15:25 pm »
Here's a question (mainly cause I've had a few beers)....

Should I keep the bike and throw a cover over it in the corner of the garage and forget about it for a while?
  I could do with the money from it to partially pay for the new one, but.....

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 28 August 2017, 07:02:37 am »
You've put a lot of time into resolving some niggly problems, so you have a fair bit invested in the bike.  So long as you're sure that the overheating isn't a head gasket problem, I'd be inclined to hold on to it through the winter and take your time getting it right.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 28 August 2017, 07:29:10 am »
I had a Triumph 955sprint seem to remember it started to do a similar thing new thermostat cured it old one was sticking intermittently.   

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 28 August 2017, 09:01:44 am »
Did you replace the radiator cap? If it's not holding pressure this can cause the coolant to boil.

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 28 August 2017, 09:34:59 am »
Rad cap has been changed, thermostat was stuck shut.

Really starting to suspect it may be HG breached compression to a coolant passage.  That's not even too hard a job, just time consuming.  One of the reasons I thought about keeping it and revisiting it in a few months.  I'd have to hide it from the missus though!

I'll see how the bidding goes and make my mind up towards the end of the auction.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 28 August 2017, 10:01:36 am »

Honda CB1000 needs frame repair due to rust

Any chance of more details?
is it clean enough?

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 28 August 2017, 10:39:09 am »

Honda CB1000 needs frame repair due to rust

Any chance of more details?

Cross tube which hides behind the exhaust headers and radiator has a rust split in it. I'm slowly pulling it apart to get the frame repaired and powder coated.  I know of another in the locality that has the same issue.
Do you have one? There's a picture on the CB forum somewhere - maybe not, photobucket will have knobbled it!

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 28 August 2017, 10:49:33 am »

my other projects - these are the reason I wanted a working bike!

Other projects! by d.a.thornber@btinternet.com, on Flickr

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 28 August 2017, 11:17:49 am »
You need to do two things  :-
1. Keep the Fazer, unless the bidding goes above the amount you have put into it then you sell at no loss and maybe a little profit.
2. Buy a bigger shed.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 28 August 2017, 12:10:57 pm »
Do you have one?

No. I have two CB400s, one is a wet weather / salty roads run around and the other is a 3 year restoration project that is just about finished. Having a second bike of the same type as the restoration bike is exceedingly handy as a reference, it's turned out to be an inspired buy, despite minor opposition from missus. Now that the restoration bike is back together and running I am considering selling the two and buying a CB1000 as I've always liked the look of them, hence my interest. A CB1300 is the other contender. I would add as a fourth bike but I've been told 3 is the limit, if a fourth arrives I'll suddenly find myself single apparently.

I actually enjoy the CB400s as much as the Fazer, it's a different mentality having only around 50 horses. Parts can be pricey, otherwise they are cheap to run.
is it clean enough?

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 05 September 2017, 09:08:51 pm »
Reluctantly let the fazer sell on eBay, ended up out of pocket by about £400 :-(. Still it was doing my head in 😢and the new one is very nice 😀. May now actually be able to get my little baby up and running again!

Thanks for the support on this thread, something's aren't meant to be!

Just hope the black one gets collected and paid for now.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 05 September 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
Shame about the financial loss but sometimes knowledge comes at a price and experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Hopefully the new Fazer does it for you. :)

snecklifter

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS400
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21 September 2017, 07:53:30 am »
Yeah some things are really meant to be.

Lets just hope for the black one.. and yes, buy a larger shed.  :rollin

reggit

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha350LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 12 October 2017, 10:18:21 pm »
Notice this bike has just popped up on eBay sporting a new black paint job and 1 mile more on the clock than when I sold it. 

Roky

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 06 November 2017, 01:11:28 pm »
Hello
I have one question. I just bought Fazer 1000, year 2003 and I have some problems. It starts ok, and it runs on idle with no problem when the engine is warm (if it is cold I have tu use choke).
But the real problem coms when I rew the bike. If I twist the throttle right away, in idle or artound 2000rpm, the engine looses the power, and if I wouldnt release the throttle the engine would shut down  :'(
But if I accelerate slow, everything is ok. And also above 5000rpm everything works ok.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
I didnt have thet kind of problems on my old fazer 600 also year 2003.

Regards,
Rok