Date: 16-04-24  Time: 19:26 pm

Author Topic: Rough at low revs  (Read 3127 times)

BJohnD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rough at low revs
« on: 02 November 2017, 05:25:28 pm »
Hi

mine is running very rough and hesitant at low revs, up to around 4k. I have pulled the (New) plugs and they are all very white indicating lean running (I have trimmed the leads as recommended). I suspected a primary jet, but the plugs indicate all 4 cylinders, so I am doubting this.

The bike has a Remus Titanium can on it but I can't find any reference, so don't know whether it is suitable for standard jetting. Would this cause this much of a problem.

I have thought about fitting an Ivan kit, but feel I should sort the problem first, unless the exhaust can is the problem. If I were to do the Ivan kit, I was thinking of the slip on as I don't need any out and out performance but improving low rev performance would be good and I have only seen this kit available in the UK (at a  reasonable price!!). But I'm happy to hear any arguments either way.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Rough at low revs
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2017, 08:09:36 pm »
Have you checked the condition and operation of the EXUP valve?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2017, 09:03:52 pm »
I doubt that the can is the cause.  Remus cans are very good and usually don't require re-jetting.  I think you've got the right idea in saying it's a blockage or restriction in one or more of the pilot jets.  If the bike has been standing unridden for a while, that would explain it.  You could try running some fuel system cleaner through your next few tanks of fuel.  Redline (see ebay) is good stuff.

What year is your Fazer and what mileage?

Ivan's jet kits transform the bike.  You could install one while you have the carbs off to sort the pilot jets, assuming that turns out to be the issue and that fuel cleaner additive doesn't fix it for you.

BJohnD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2017, 09:24:58 pm »
Have looked at the Exup, it was fine, but I stripped it & greased it when I had the problem with it not revving over 6k (was the bit of wire Mike & Pieeater pointed me to).

Mike, it's an 02 with 15k on it, I don't know if it had been parked up, but I am suspecting the pilots if it's not the can. It looks like a carb strip is in order at which time I might as well do an Ivan kit.

That being the case what are the differences in the 2 Ivan kits? my impression of the full monty is that it gives the ultimate power, but I believe it requires an improved can along with the air filter change. I'm not after ultimate power, but would prefer a smother transition from low, mid to the upper rev range. Which I believe the "slip on" kit will do.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2017, 07:07:26 am »
It's not the can, trust me.  I've known dozens of owners with Remus cans and none had the issues you report even with stock carbs. :) 

The Full Monty uses Ivan's MB kit which he designed to work with full aftermarket exhaust systems, such as the Muzzy and Akrapovic, which replaced the EXUP-equipped stock headers.  The MB kit has larger main jets and a different needle profile supplying more fuel at larger throttle openings to take advantage of the improved gas flow at higher rpm.  However, modding the airbox lid, fitting a performance air filter, and profiling the carb intake rubbers allows significant gains to be had with the MB kit with the stock headers and a free-flowing aftermarket end can.  Virtually all aftermarket cans offer better flow, so no need to change your Remus for something else.

Since you're not after ultimate power gains, the Slip-On kit would do you fine and will be easier to install yourself since you won't need to do the mods to the airbox lid and intake stubs.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
And by pure chance............

I’ve got a slip on kit in the garage. Mike took this off of my Gen1 last year, when I upgraded to the Full Monty. Let me know if you’re interested. Probably best by PM.

BJohnD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2017, 09:12:02 pm »
Well I've stripped the carbs and cleaned them, will try tomorrow when it stops raining, but, although a bit better, it didn't seem right, but a proper test will see. It maybe just the mixture needs setting up but I'll see.

Can anyone advise the drill sizes for Ivanising kits? mainly need to know if both kits use the same size drills.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2017, 09:52:44 pm »
All Ivan's kits come with the necessary drill bits included. :) h

However, I've just re-read the thread and if you've done a deal with Skid, his kit probably won't have the bits you require.  PM me with your address and I'll send the ones you need to you.  I have plenty of spares. ;)
« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 09:54:53 pm by Falcon 269 »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2017, 07:55:47 am »
All Ivan's kits come with the necessary drill bits included. :) h

However, I've just re-read the thread and if you've done a deal with Skid, his kit probably won't have the bits you require.  PM me with your address and I'll send the ones you need to you.  I have plenty of spares. ;)

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for your input. You gave me the box with the unused drill bits and the instructions for the “Full Monty” in it, when you upgraded mine. However I’m guessing that the drill bits for the “Full Monty” and “Slip on”kits may be different sizes?
If they’re not then all may be good.

Johnnylad123

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2017, 08:48:28 am »
Just to throw this one into the mix, my '02 17k miles bike had pretty much the same issues as yours. Pretty sure the bike had been stood for a while too. Tried stripping the carbs and cleaning them but only got marginal improvements. The cure was to strip them again and put new jets and float valves in, also swapped the inlet stubs as these were badly cracked but not completely through. Did these as it's such a pain to get the carbs off and didn't want the hassle of doing it yet again if they turned out to be an issue! Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 04:27:08 pm by Johnnylad123 »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2017, 05:11:56 pm »
However I’m guessing that the drill bits for the “Full Monty” and “Slip on”kits may be different sizes?

Same size drills in both jet kits, Skid, so the ones you have will work fine for the Slip-On kit installation. :)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2017, 09:03:08 pm »
However I’m guessing that the drill bits for the “Full Monty” and “Slip on”kits may be different sizes?

Same size drills in both jet kits, Skid, so the ones you have will work fine for the Slip-On kit installation. :)

Excellent, thanks for the clarification Mike.

BJohnD

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2017, 09:29:18 pm »
Just to throw this one into the mix, my '02 17k miles bike had pretty much the same issues as yours. Pretty sure the bike had been stood for a while too. Tried stripping the carbs and cleaning them but only got marginal improvements. The cure was to strip them again and put new jets and float valves in, also swapped the inlet stubs as these were badly cracked but not completely through. Did these as it's such a pain to get the carbs off and didn't want the hassle of doing it yet again if they turned out to be an issue! Hope this helps.

That's interesting, I've stripped & cleaned the carbs and only a marginal improvement. As with yours, my inlet stubs have external cracking. I'm not keen to shell out the cost of replacements as I would expect that to affect a single cylinder rather than all 4 plugs being very white. I might try wrapping them self amalgamating tape which would prove airtightness. I did find the float heights to be varied, but again, that would not cause all 4 cyls to run lean.

I'm expecting a 90° screwdriver tomorrow so will try the mixture settings. That might give me a better indication or possibly be the cure. I have a spare set of coils/leads/caps which I might try as well, although I do not feel it is electrical but this will eliminate that.

The plan is to fit an Ivans slip on kit and remove the AIS, but want to sort the problem before I add any further complications.