Date: 19-04-24  Time: 01:06 am

Author Topic: 54 plate Fazer cutting out...  (Read 1419 times)

JimMcDonnell

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
54 plate Fazer cutting out...
« on: 13 July 2017, 01:09:26 pm »
Hello all - first post, and of course it's a problem...

My 54 FZ6, 56600mi, has been cutting out recently, at pretty much any speed. No coughing or stuttering, just running fine then nothing. I can sometimes drop down the gears while rolling and then 'bump' it going again, but more usually I coast to the side of the road and get nothing from the engine when I turn it over; after some time (eg when it's cooler?) it will start. Maybe.

I thought it might be fuel; I know there's some gunk in the tank - but the bike stops completely, dead in the water. No rough running or spluttering as a warning.

Got helped home by the AA last night, and they theorised it might be CKP sensor when the bike is running hot. Took a plug cap off and tested the spark - nothing until the bike has cooled. I put bike in diagnostic mode this morning, and did indeed get a '12' code - CKP. Sound plausible? Why would it get worse/occur when the bike is hot? Last night's cut-out happened within 3 miles of leaving home, not 'hot' by any standards, even in summer weather.

I had to have a gearbox rebuild at xmas, and when I got it back I noticed (after a while) the the small bolt in the crankcase cover had been left off - so I was running the bike 50 miles a day in winter muck with a hole into the crankcase. Had that sorted when I got new rubber a couple of months ago, but - could that have caused a CKP problem?

At no point have I had any warning lights or codes on my dash.

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Jim

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: 54 plate Fazer cutting out...
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2017, 10:08:27 pm »
I had a similar issue that turned out to be a dodgy kill switch.

Get a multimeter and check the kill switch, side stand switch, tip-over sensor etc for good continuity before you start looking for anything more complicated.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: 54 plate Fazer cutting out...
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2017, 05:19:49 am »
Do you have another ignition key ? If you have try it as sometimes the key is worn and loose in the ignition barrel and can cause the bike to cut out.