Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:47 pm

Author Topic: How Much!  (Read 2036 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
How Much!
« on: 11 July 2017, 09:05:50 am »
Decided to do an oil change on the old girl a couple of days ago, so after a long brisk ride when returning home with engine very hot
(Ride and 28C temperature)
I drained the oil out and spun the oil filter off, new alloy washer on the drain plug, lubed the new filter rubber seal spun it back on.

Bollocks only car oil in the shed and about 1Ltr of Shell Advanced 4T Motorcycle Oil, 7-30pm garages shut put bike away.

I made a couple of phone calls to local motorcycle shops the next morning, one which will remain nameless quoted £70-49 for 4 Liters of Motul Fully Synthetic 10-40, WTF!.  :eek
When I questioned them about that price I was told it was a premium oil that all the best race teams use. So I ordered 5 X 4 Liter cans, actually I hung up.
I then phoned up A Force Motor Cycles of Aldershot and purchased my usual tipple for the old girl 'Shell Advanced 4T synthetic @ £35 for 4 Ltrs, now I would love to know how much better Motol Oil over Shell Advanced?.

I wont name the garage that wanted to charge me double for 4 Ltrs of oil, no I am not being generous toward them its just that I might be stuck and need them in the future LOL :lol

Fresh oil in the Fazer and tools away.

Now I am one of those sad sods that likes to keep a record of all the work I have done on the bike, dates, mileages etc, so opening up my Yammy maintenance book I notice when recording mileage that I had in fact only done 2,300 miles since the previous oil & filter change, looking back I did the last change on 17/03/15 but hardly rode the bike that year because of a very ill and final loss of my Mum-in Law
(Now no Mother-In-Law jokes :lol ) She was a great old lady.
So what is the most anyone has been asked for by a suppler for 4 Ltrs Of 4T Motorcycle Oil ? Synthetic or Semi Synthetic.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: How Much!
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2017, 10:32:39 am »
Hi Tommy,Just ordered (last week) 4 litres of Motul semi with 1l extra free for £25 from Sportsbike shop.co.uk. For the 600 My local yam dealer wanted £31 for 4 litres of silkoline comp 4 fully synth but I use semi in the 600 and when I last serviced my 1000 I got 5l plus 1 free and k&n oil filter from M&P for £32That first price you got sounds astronomical but the worst I paid was from a shell garage about 4 years ago when I had to do an emergency oil change on the 600 on a Sunday and the only place open was a shell garage and paid £8 a litre x3 as they only had litre bottles although I dunno what that would be at today's prices

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2017, 01:29:10 pm »
Been using this stuff for a while now, it's been absolutely fine and first time i've used fully synthetic but will stick with it from now on, and change every 4000 miles anyway (recommended 6000 in the manual).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Fully-Synthetic-10W-40-10W40-Motorcycle-Oil-4-Stroke-JASO-MA2-10W-40-/111838862300?epid=0&hash=item1a0a1d9bdc:g:anIAAOSwHQ9WXgZf
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2017, 09:33:17 am »
£10,000 plus for 4 Ltrs of Motul seems a little bit on the pricey side, but, it is fully synthetic so you do expect to pay a little more so maybe its not so bad.  :eek
yeah I often buy oil on evilBay but I needed it pronto, so, I purchased from a dealer, and of course its going to be dearer that way but not £70+ for 4 lTRS of Fully Synth.

The company I purchased from are A-Force Motorcycles from Aldershot Hants, small company run by two brothers, both bikers, Darron one of the bros has a Boxeye FZS600.
They are very helpful and if i have work that I can not do I take my Fazer over to them. So far its been tyres and MOTs and a puncture repair at one time, I would recommend them to anyone wanting work done, they are prompt, skillful and do not charge an arm and a leg for repairs.   

oddbob13

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2017, 07:56:31 pm »
I'm not convinced fully synthetic is worth the extra money.

As bikers we probably change engine oil religiously, and in many cases, don't even do many miles either, so the oil we throw out probably has more life left in it than we care to admit.

Has anyone ever seen any evidence that fully synthetic has any real-world benefits for motorcyle engines?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2017, 08:53:45 pm »
I'm not convinced fully synthetic is worth the extra money.

As bikers we probably change engine oil religiously, and in many cases, don't even do many miles either, so the oil we throw out probably has more life left in it than we care to admit.

Has anyone ever seen any evidence that fully synthetic has any real-world benefits for motorcyle engines?

I paid £21.99 for 5 litres, hardly expensive.
And gear changing does feel smoother to me but that's obviously debateable.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
O no, not another semi vs fully synthetic thread again! :-(

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2017, 05:30:42 am »
O no, not another semi vs fully synthetic thread again! :-(

Not for me, i got the best of both worlds, a very good price and i'm happy with it, job done  :)