Date: 16-04-24  Time: 12:35 pm

Author Topic: Engine rattle  (Read 1135 times)

GP

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Engine rattle
« on: 08 July 2017, 07:04:28 pm »
Hi Guys
Just registered on this great website, great advise and banter.
Had my bike for a couple of months now still getting to know it but although it is very smooth and performs and sounds great, from cold the timing chain seems to rattle. The noise goes one the engine warms up am I just worrying over nothing or does this need attention. also I have no record and no idea from the previous owner if the valve clearances have ever been checked the mileage is about 24000 now. Cheers George

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Engine rattle
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2017, 07:33:55 pm »
It'll be cam chain noise. Very common on Fazers. At 24,000 miles it shouldn't be a problem. If you could put up a video of the bike running people could tell you for sure if it's normal. They have an automatic tensioner so the chain can get a bit noisy until the tensioner advances.  If you don't know how old the oil is you could change it as a precaution. If it's old changing it might reduce the noise a bit. The valve clearances seem to be fairly stable on these engines. Most people don't check them. I would because it's not difficult but your noise is unlikely to be because of valve clearance. They're the shim style valves rather than the older tappet style so they're more stable and the clearance tends to tighten over time so they don't make noise when they're out of spec. The older style tappets tended to loosen and make more noise.

GP

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2017, 07:45:56 pm »
Thanks Dude
The oil was changed a few months ago I will try to video the engine I know I am probably worring over nothing but I have had a few bikes over the years one of them being a Fazer 1000 but it just seems noisey but it is quiet when warm so maybe thats how they all are ?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2017, 07:57:38 pm »
Can't say for sure without hearing it but from your description it seems normal. Your tensioner might be about to advance. If you're worried bring it to a mechanic and let him have listen to it.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2017, 03:26:27 pm »
Mine had the classic cam chain rattle.
It started after it had done around 50,000
By 85,000 miles it was very noticeable
And then for some unexplained reason it stopped
I'm guessing the cam chain tensioner clicked out
In any event it's few hundred miles short of 90,000, and the rattle's not come back..... yet.