Date: 19-04-24  Time: 14:46 pm

Author Topic: Ear Plugs  (Read 2172 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Ear Plugs
« on: 07 July 2017, 08:04:58 am »
I've always worn earplugs when riding and have always brought a job lot from earplugsbypost.com  It's that time again when I need to by a new pack.  My current ones  are 3M 1100.

Always good to have new ideas, so, what do you use?  Either disposable of those "posh" molded ones.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Ear Plugs
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2017, 08:37:06 am »
Used 3m ear soft fx for past few years. Work well for me. Heard mixed reviews on custom moulded so have always resisted forking out with a risk of disappointment.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2017, 08:47:26 am »
Ear plugs ear plugs I think I must of have tried most of them. I have an issue with narrow ear canals and one is slightly bent, both issues don't help the natural flow of wax and so I don't stuff the plugs down as mush as they are supposed to go which then leads to the issue of them ripping out when I put my lid on - or off.
I have brought a packs of mixed sizes and shapes to test.
Alongside normal plugs I have tried mould your own - admittedly with a cheap product called silicone putty, the idea being that it only slightly gos in and covers the ear hole. It was great when it was wet and I kept my mouth in a set position while it set but once it was set and I re tried them in they seemed slightly small and didn't do much sound blocking. 
I have tried the soft wax plugs that distort when I pull my lid on and so don't help much with noise.
I have tried Docs proplugs - that despite my best efforts in correct sizing do not fit correctly to cut out enough noise. 
After all that expense  and faf I have come to the conclusion that I am best to go for any standard to fatter plug - cheep will do and then cut off the last 1/3rd, as I am not sticking it all the way in the last bit sticks out and causes the issue with my lid ripping them out.
As I am only partly inserting them I have to keep pressure on them until they have expanded and grip so what I really would like to find out is which plug re - expands the fastest so I am not standing around with my fingers in my ears waiting for them to expand. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2017, 10:23:03 am »
I use the Dial ones from B&Q. Cheap and really effective. They're nice and soft and easy to insert. I generally reuse them for a few days before using new ones but always store them in separate packages so I know which one goes in which ear (just in case there's a bug).
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2017, 12:49:02 pm »
I like the Howard Leights, pink and yellow ones. I buy boxes of 500. Roll them up small and shove them in until they are touching my ear drum. Very quiet, very comfortable.

I carry reusable Thunderplugs on my key ring for day to day noisy stuff (clubs, pubs and gigs)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LSOPIV8/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499464041&sr=8-1-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=thunderolugs
« Last Edit: 07 July 2017, 10:48:34 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2017, 02:08:58 pm »
After 40 years down a ships engine room my ears are fuc-ed anyway .I start out with them in and always forget to put them back in after a coffee stop so tend to say feckit now.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2017, 06:26:21 pm »
They're pretty good actually, been usury them for years in work and on the bike.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2017, 06:55:13 pm »
Ear plugs ear plugs I think I must of have tried most of them. I have an issue with narrow ear canals and one is slightly bent, both issues don't help the natural flow of wax and so I don't stuff the plugs down as mush as they are supposed to go which then leads to the issue of them ripping out when I put my lid on - or off.
I have brought a packs of mixed sizes and shapes to test.
Alongside normal plugs I have tried mould your own - admittedly with a cheap product called silicone putty, the idea being that it only slightly gos in and covers the ear hole. It was great when it was wet and I kept my mouth in a set position while it set but once it was set and I re tried them in they seemed slightly small and didn't do much sound blocking. 
I have tried the soft wax plugs that distort when I pull my lid on and so don't help much with noise.
I have tried Docs proplugs - that despite my best efforts in correct sizing do not fit correctly to cut out enough noise. 
After all that expense  and faf I have come to the conclusion that I am best to go for any standard to fatter plug - cheep will do and then cut off the last 1/3rd, as I am not sticking it all the way in the last bit sticks out and causes the issue with my lid ripping them out.
As I am only partly inserting them I have to keep pressure on them until they have expanded and grip so what I really would like to find out is which plug re - expands the fastest so I am not standing around with my fingers in my ears waiting for them to expand.

Have you tried small tampons, i mean it's not like you're gonna get them wet?  :rollin :rollin :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2017, 08:19:25 pm »
Had some moulded ones, not pleased, the foam ones, rubbery type are the best.

Oh , if you go into builders merchant and ask they may give them away, who are the ones with the blue lorries ? Ummm, they have a bag in Hereford and they give you them, last time I had ten pairs free,   

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2017, 10:25:08 pm »
I like the EAR Classic.

Classed as disposable, but you get plenty of repeat use out of one pair, and if yer tight you can wash em.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Foam-Disposable-Plugs-S0902/dp/B00I7TWAW2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1499462525&sr=8-7&keywords=EAR+CLASSIC

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2017, 11:21:25 pm »
Pardon?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2017, 12:20:31 am »
Horses for courses.
For long distance motorway travel I use swimmers putty.

I've more or less tried all the health and safety plugs out there that are available but the problem is eventually they all hurt once they've been in for a while.  For long distance mouldable silicone is way better, other than paying for bespoke plugs. They cost a wee bit more but they're worth it, just my opinion based on my experience. :)

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2017, 09:34:42 am »
Horses for courses.

or long distance mouldable silicone is way better, other than paying for bespoke plugs. They cost a wee bit more but they're worth it, just my opinion based on my experience. :)

I have tried the macks silicone and found that it displaces when I pull on my lid and does not cut out much noise.
The swimmers putty you mention and the mouldable silicone are you referring to the same thing - the swimmers putty or are they two different things you have used.
Any links on the swimmers putty please.

I like the EAR Classic.
Classed as disposable, but you get plenty of repeat use out of one pair, and if yer tight you can wash em.

These were the very first ones I tried years ago and remember that I got on ok with them, I have since been lost in the mass ear plug market trying all kinds of exoctic types in the quest for a perfect fit, I think I need to re visit these 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 July 2017, 10:30:54 am »
Cheers guys, sounds like I'm on the right lines with the ones I've got, personal choice I guess with no overall winner.  I shall carry on as I am :-)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 July 2017, 05:35:48 pm »
Horses for courses.

or long distance mouldable silicone is way better, other than paying for bespoke plugs. They cost a wee bit more but they're worth it, just my opinion based on my experience. :)

I have tried the macks silicone and found that it displaces when I pull on my lid and does not cut out much noise.
The swimmers putty you mention and the mouldable silicone are you referring to the same thing - the swimmers putty or are they two different things you have used.
Any links on the swimmers putty please.

I like the EAR Classic.

These were the very first ones I tried years ago and remember that I got on ok with them, I have since been lost in the mass ear plug market trying all kinds of exoctic types in the quest for a perfect fit, I think I need to re visit these 

This is the one I use, one plug will make 2 earpieces.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoggs-Silicone-Putty-Ear-Plugs-Clear-Pack-of-4/182633512633?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43782%26meid%3Da90ec0f75d4e4bd89838299f7631fbd8%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D132144648955
« Last Edit: 08 July 2017, 05:37:05 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.