Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:43 pm

Author Topic: Exup bushes removal question  (Read 1476 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Exup bushes removal question
« on: 06 July 2017, 11:35:37 pm »
I decided to take the plunge and service my Exup and what a nightmare it's turned into  :'(
i think the previous owner had decided to service it himself and possibly may have lost some of the components upon dis assembly and the decided to just bodge it back together, the only plus side to this saga is all the bolts came out easily. Firstly the pulley centre bolt had been replace with an Allen bolt which rubbed on the inside of the cover, then there was no washer but there was a spring which was half worn away, then there was no spacer at the rear instead just the worn remnants of a stepped washer and the bushes and valve worn very badly.
I managed to get a good used valve and front plate off the flea bay but the front plate has snapped cover bolts so I think my best bet is fit new bushes to my plate and downpipes but they look well tight in there. Is there any easy way to remove/replace the bushes or would it be easier to drill out the snapped cover bolts on the replacement which is a good fit with the exup valve then all I've got to do is replace the rear bush on the downpipes
I've attached a few pics to show what I found, the 1st one is what replaced the rear 3mm spacer

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: Exup bushes removal question
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2017, 06:31:47 am »
I would drill out, especially as you can put it on the bench. If you use some heat you might be able to get away with Easi Outs

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2017, 09:04:05 am »
Whatever you do, don't go drilling the bush out.
The bush is pushed in from the outside of the plate.
Get 2 sockets one socket which just fits the hole on the inside of the plate (not the hole in the bush)which will put it resting on the bush and a second on which is wider than the hole on the outside of the plate.
Line it up in a vice and twist away until the bush falls into the larger socket.
Under no circumstances try drilling it out.
The bush is extremely hard and brittle.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2017, 09:07:23 am by unfazed »

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2017, 10:11:40 pm »
Graham, Message me - Mad4Bikes ;)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2017, 01:16:12 am »
Thanks guys, I wasn't thinking of drilling out the bushes just the snapped threads on the front plate that holds the cover on.
The pre loved valve that I got has good bushes and fits sweetly with the exup, it's only problem ( which is more of an inconvenience) is the front plate has 2 snapped bolt threads for the cover which is theoretically still useable but I decided i might as well get it done so thought I'd either drill them out or swap the bush over with my good but focced bush front plate, either way I've still got to replace the bush that's in the downpipes as mine is well focced.
Thanks to unfazed with the front plate bush removal tip fingers crossed I'll get it sorted this weekend 👍🏻
« Last Edit: 08 July 2017, 01:37:39 am by Graham53 »