Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:55 pm

Author Topic: To hot forthe bike  (Read 7525 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
To hot forthe bike
« on: 05 July 2017, 09:35:49 pm »

Have not been out on the bike now for over a week it has either been thunder & Lightening and pouring down
or this today.
It is supposed to be a lot cooler tomorrow.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: To hot forthe bike
« Reply #1 on: 06 July 2017, 06:26:28 am »
There's a common misconception amongst non bikers that it must be lovely riding in really hot weather, but they couldn't be more wrong.
Down in London today it has been rumoured to be above 30 degrees but with 6 weeks of rain falling in 3 hours.
I have a hospital appointment at 12pm and i'm dreading having to put wet gear on in the heat and heavy rain.
Add to that, outside of my workplace has a habit of flooding rather sharpishly in torrential rain, so i think today's gonna be fun. :look
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2017, 07:07:09 am »

Have not been out on the bike now for over a week it has either been thunder & Lightening and pouring down
or this today.

40C! Where the foc are you Lew? That is the sort of temperatures that you get in Oman.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2017, 07:26:04 am »
It's not pleasant with the weather being so changeable up here in sometimes sunny Yorkshire. I've had the padded liner in and out of the jacket half a dozen times this year so far depending on the weather.
There's nowt worse than getting home lashed with sweat, I think I prefer the rain sometimes to be honest.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2017, 08:28:32 am »
I actually don't mind riding in the rain. It teaches you to be smooth with all the controls. I don't like going out if its already raining though or if I know I will get wet. Hot weather on the other hand is not nice unless you are able to keep your speed up.

I am looking forward to getting my bike out in France next week but may have to wear jeans instead of the leathers if it is too far above 20C
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2017, 01:31:29 pm »
Down in London today it has been rumoured to be above 30 degrees but with 6 weeks of rain falling in 3 hours.

I've long since given up listening to any weather forecasters, I'm in Canary Wharf and the sun's not stopped shining all day so far.

The only weather sites I believe are these:  -

Forecast - http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/London/hour_by_hour.html
Rain radar (updated every 5 mins, you can view the animation) - http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2017, 01:56:26 pm »

Rain radar (updated every 5 mins, you can view the animation) - http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar

Handy, thanks for the link  :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2017, 05:02:45 pm »

I've long since given up listening to any weather forecasters, I'm in Canary Wharf and the sun's not stopped shining all day so far.

The only weather sites I believe are these:  -

Forecast - http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/London/hour_by_hour.html

Yeah, same here, not even a hint of rain, nor even cloudy, and judging by that website it ain't gonna happen either.
Fortunately I got a lift to and from the hospital, but I was still sweating buckets.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2017, 05:26:02 pm »

or this today.

40C! Where the foc are you Lew? That is the sort of temperatures that you get in Oman.
Tommy I live in SW France about 1.5 hours east of Bordeaux.That really is a bit of a cheat as the car had been sitting all day in the drive.  Once I moved off  it dropped to a chilly 35 degrees.
 I was out on the bike today , I have lunch with my son in Bordeaux with my son , it was overcast today with sunny spells but a pleasent 27 degrees .

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2017, 05:29:42 pm »
And there was me wondering if I could do Rome on this next trip. Silly me for considering it in July I suppose  :rolleyes  Looks like it might be bad enough in the Alps - I can't feckin win  :'(

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2017, 05:35:32 pm »
Just checked my local temp it is 30 degrees and is as humid as fuc-  :rolleyes

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2017, 05:45:20 pm »
And there was me wondering if I could do Rome on this next trip. Silly me for considering it in July I suppose  :rolleyes  Looks like it might be bad enough in the Alps - I can't feckin win  :'(
I'm half way through reading "Live your Life" by Bruce Smart, the guy that rode around the world on a Gixser thou, he absolutely melted in Rome. It just goes to show the  vast range of temperatures that cover Europe at any given time. After watching todays stage of the Tour, it would seem a pair of tights filled with ice cubes under your jacket works a treat for a while. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2017, 06:20:19 pm »
I learnt to rise motorbikes in Spain so I was well used to riding in the heat. I almost cried the first time I rode in the UK when I realised it was freezing at anything over 20mph haha
Now I'm used to it but I just have be various kit to ride to conditions. I usually avoid the rain but don't mind riding in it. I feel it's make you a better rider, learning to control the bike on those kind of conditions helps you know how far you can push it in the dry.
As for riding in the heat just buy some motocross armour and Wear it over a tshirt. Very good protection but without the sweating 🖒

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2017, 06:22:00 pm »
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2017, 06:38:41 pm »

As for riding in the heat just buy some motocross armour and Wear it over a tshirt. Very good protection but without the sweating 🖒

Having recently ridden in 38deg in Spain and France, I resorted to t-shirt and jeans only, and it was still too feckin hot.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2017, 07:33:48 pm »

Having recently ridden in 38deg in Spain and France, I resorted to t-shirt and jeans only, and it was still too feckin hot.
That's great until you have an off.
I was over there three weeks ago and the coldest day we had was 33 degrees. Still wouldn't ride without the bike gear on though. Not worth the risk. Just make sure you keep hydrated.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2017, 10:23:44 pm »

As said get the right gear, and certainly Tee shirt and jeans?gtf especially in France summer time.That is let's get the gravel out because it is going to be hot and the tar will melt . That way the gravel will get pressed into the melting tar so that is a road repair done.
I never go out without the proper gear. I have a Hein Gereke air tex jacket, vented front and side, full armour, Hood Jeans , kevlar and armour , summer light weith gloves carbon knuckle gaurds.when it gets to hot bike stays at home.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 July 2017, 09:04:54 am »
I think riding in the rain only makes you a better rider ------------at riding in the rain.
I am lucky in that I don't ride to commute and I can pick and choose when I ride which means that I don't have to sit in traffic and if its too hot then I don't ride, but I do have a summer jacket with loads of perforations and summer gloves, but the boots and leather trousers are the same all year around.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2017, 09:05:56 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 July 2017, 12:00:16 am »

We were riding home yesterday after our annual trip to my place near Nevers and it got up to 34 degrees once we got north of Paris. I was seriously thinking of taking my jacket off and strapping it on the bike for the remainder of the trip to Calais. Jesus it was hot! We actually did this one year, but it was 40 degrees.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 July 2017, 06:19:34 am »
Yep the right clothing makes huge difference, plus as mentioned on here, being in the position to choose your time to ride is a real privilege.
I wear a leather jacket with a floro waistcoat and Kev Jeans most of the time, but when it gets above 20 degree out comes the Cordura Jacket, lining out and the jacket main shell is made with perforated panels which work a treat, my bucket is a LS2 Convert that had a brilliant ventilation system and the front chin bar swings right over behind the helmet turning it into a true open faced bucket.
The other bonuses for me is I am retired and I do not live in a city where temperatures are usually 8 or so degree above the rural setting.

Viva La Hampshire
AKA 'The Shire'