Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:38 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 Fuel pump question  (Read 1091 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 Fuel pump question
« on: 02 July 2017, 01:43:15 am »
I had my carbs cleaned which turned into a saga that I won't bore you with here but after that and the (apparent) work done to correct the balls up ,I've noticed that every time I turn my ignition on (before starting) the fuels pump clicks away like it's filling the float bowls, sometimes it clicks a lot sometimes it's not many , on rare occasions it's none sometimes it clicks after I've left it for 10 mins after riding ,I don't recall noticing this previously except after bike sat for long periods, anyone else get this ?? Is this normal ?
I'll try and give a brief run down of some of the saga as it might be relevant, carbs cleaned but 1 day later it run rough, found all carb to head rubbers clips not on correct or loose and all carb to airbox rubbers loose , red sticky substance coming out of float bowl joins, had new chain and sprocks and asked garage about it ( not carb cleaning garage) they drained float bowls and found (apparently) black oily stuff from float bowls, run bettter after up to TT but not as before so thought I'd get garage in Heysham to look ( recommended by in laws who live there ) they tell me all float heights different and that needle valve springs are gone also air screws at 5 turns out  this makes me think maybe PO had fitted Ivan's kit himself as 5 turns is Ivan's setting ,plus float heights being all different sounds like someone had tried altering them badly, so I explain this to mechanic and he sets them all to 14mm ,keeps screws at 5 turns out and replaces needle valves. Bike runs better but now I notice I have this fuel pump clicking.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 Fuel pump question
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2017, 06:50:34 am »
What you describe with the fuel pump is normal.

Beggars belief how whoever did the first carb clean could make suggest a bollocks of the job. :(

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2017, 09:58:13 pm »

Yep normal

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2017, 11:08:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies , sorry for not logging on earlier but my son had accident at school and broke his arm and I've been pre occupied with that.
I can cross that one off the list  :)