Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:06 pm

Author Topic: FZS 1000 Gen 1  (Read 2966 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FZS 1000 Gen 1
« on: 26 June 2017, 08:40:06 pm »
I was thinking of doing my bike up a bit, a summer spruce so to speak, but in doing so I came across another at a price that was too good to miss, so I got it...

This is by no means a pampered princess, it has been my daily work horse for 3 years or so and has reached 98600 miles.  I got it as a Cat C and repaired it although it was simply a few cosmetics really, nose, headlights and the rad had been bent back on the side.  It wasn't one that needed new forks etc, it looked like it had fallen off its stand or something.  It has a couple of small dings in the tank (from the bars hitting it no doubt).

I put R1 forks on (4XV) with 10kg springs.  These have just had new seals and oil.  The shock was past its sell by date so I replaced it with a BMW S1000RR one - again with a stiffer spring (ie stiffer than the BMW spring).  R1 back wheel with torque arm removal.  It has one of those Yamaha rear racks (in silver).  HEL braided front lines.

It will also come with the modded Chinese brembo master cylinder and clutch perch/levers.  This is the unit I reviewed on this forum and has been perfect.  STD ones will of course be sold with the bike.

I have, this morning, had the bike MOT'd and it passed fine, a few advisories on pads as I knew at this point I was letting it go so didn't bother replacing anything although they are still fine. 

Chain and sprockets are pretty good, I think i put them on about 10k ago.  Recent bearings in the swing arm.  EXUP is fine, never stuck (although I use it every day).  It has an Akrapovic silencer, full titanium and a Ti link pipe (from an R1 so it has been cut'n'shut to fit, again).  Unfortunately this was all crumpled up when I was rear ended at a junction last year, I fixed it all up and straightened the silencer but there are ripples in it slightly, not that it affects anything.  When I got the bike the ignition lock and key was pretty worn out so if you put the steering lock on it was a bit of a lottery when it came to getting it off.  This resulted in up to 5 mins of jiggling/waggling before you got it off.  I stopped using it and when I did the R1 fork conversion I didn't make any effort to get that lined up.  If you wanted to it would be a simple process of adding some washers/spacers to line up the lock with the frame hole.

As I said the bike is far from showroom condition.  It is used all year, all weathers and has endured very little cosmetic care.  As a work horse it has always had maintenance in that respect, bearings, seals, chains etc.  The fairing infills are present but cracked/taped up.  Seat cover has 2 parts where the seam has come apart.  If you wanted to get this into showroom condition then consider it a project bike... It has never let me down, doesn't smoke, pulls like it should, the engine isn't particularly noisy, rides very nice.

Not sure about a "fair" price but what I have been offered for bits off it (the fork conversion, swingarm/R1 wheel), headlights etc I would be wanting to start haggling at £700.

98600 miles.
R1 forks - new seals, 10nm springs.

BMW S1000RR rear shock. Stiffer spring.
R1 rear wheel (6 inch for 190 tyres)
R1 rear caliper and torque are removal.
I replaced the front disks a while ago so they are decent.
12 months MOT
EXUP valve has never stuck, no errors etc
new exup cables fitted last year.
Chinese World Famous "brembo" 19 RCS maser cylinder.
Chinese "brembo" clutch perch/lever.
Alloy radiator.
One of those fancy Yamaha racks (in silver).
std screen
1 Key.
tool kit.

If you look at my old posts you might notice some things I have not listed.  I will be removing the scottoiler, renthal bars (std ones will be on), top box and heated grips. 

Intentionally left blank

Dea-ville

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: FZS 1000 Gen 1
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2017, 09:02:53 pm »
pm sent bud

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2017, 05:44:03 pm »
Finally getting round to selling this.  eBay beckons...

Grab Rail / Rack.  I could change this for the original (black) grab rails if its a deal breaker...

Close up of silencer/link pipe showing fixed damage.  R1 rear wheel/caliper/hangar conversion.

Brakes etc.

Matching clutch perch/lever.  The levers are not exactly "shorties" but are shorter than OEM Fazer ones.  Sort of Mid.

The Money Shot... Note both infils are cracked, I leave them in because they do reduce the road noise and are not too bad.  They also keep water off the connectors etc.

Tyres are pretty much done.  Dunlop Roadsmart 3 front is probably 1500 miles from the end, rear needs as its really a race tyre and not too great on the roads. (It is pretty much new though).

Open to offers.

« Last Edit: 23 July 2017, 06:20:24 pm by NorthWestern »
Intentionally left blank

donkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2017, 08:14:59 pm »
messaged you

Billy Balthorpe