Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:50 pm

Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 1141 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Oil Leak
« on: 23 June 2017, 05:03:21 pm »
Hi guys
Just went up to my bike (it's been stood for 4 days not started or anything) and notice a tiny puddle of oil.
The bottom of the slump is covered in oil as well but it appears to be coming from even higher than that.
Oil level has gone down but not by much. I have attached a few photos of the problem.
Can anyone let me know where they think the leak is coming from and why and how to sort it out please.
Thanks in advance.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2017, 05:33:02 pm »

Has the crankcase breather hose split or come adrift?
Otherwise it might be a leaky cam cover gasket.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2017, 06:23:06 pm »
The inlet rubbers look to be oil free so I would suggest it isnt coming from the top end of teh engine. Theres no oil near the carbs apart from, as Fazerider says, the crankcase breather.
Check inside the airbox to see if thats full of oil.

Looking at the pictures under the engine, teh oil is coming from the back ratehr than the front which ties in with teh oil under the carbs.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2017, 07:16:01 pm »
The inlet rubbers look to be oil free so I would suggest it isnt coming from the top end of teh engine. Theres no oil near the carbs apart from, as Fazerider says, the crankcase breather.
Check inside the airbox to see if thats full of oil.

Looking at the pictures under the engine, teh oil is coming from the back ratehr than the front which ties in with teh oil under the carbs.

So most likely is it coming from the gasket?

What about all the hosing around that area, they are covered in oil is there any chance it could be leaking from one of them?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2017, 08:42:04 pm »
Its difficult to tell from the pictures but is there oil on the inlet rubbers? I cant see any in the pictures but cant be certain. If theres none on the rubbers, and the bottom half of the cylinder block looks dry too, the oil has to be coming from behind the carbs or above.
Oil will only flow downwards unless there is a good breeze. The oil on the hoses will have come from the carb above it.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2017, 12:36:38 pm »
I'd guess the cam cover gasket. Did you top up the oil recently? It might be over filled.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2017, 02:24:52 pm »
What about all the hosing around that area, they are covered in oil is there any chance it could be leaking from one of them?
None of them should be carrying oil. Fuel, air and coolant but no oil.
The crankcase breather will have a light oil mist present, but if there's a lot of blow-by past a piston or the engine's been overfilled it can be a bit more than that.
(OK, there is a drain for the airbox which can dribble oil blown into the box by the breather, but it's hard to see how that could get on the carbs as it's routed to drip on the ground behind the engine.)