Date: 20-04-24  Time: 04:14 am

Author Topic: FZ6 for first full licence bike.  (Read 1488 times)

alymac1471

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
FZ6 for first full licence bike.
« on: 22 June 2017, 08:52:29 am »
Hello, I've just turned 24 I'm 6'2-3 and a competent rider on smaller bikes. I just want to know really if an FZ6 is going to be big enough and fast enough for me. I'd like to be able to keep up with my mate on his R6. I'd like a sports bike but nothing I've tried really suits my build. I wan't to know if the FZ6 has enough power to keep me happy for a year or two. And if so are there any for sale in here?

Thanks

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
Re: FZ6 for first full licence bike.
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2017, 09:44:54 am »
You wont keep up with a r6 on the fz6 not a chance! there ok but when i owned one i was a tad disapointed if i'm honest didn't do a great deal for me tbh. i'd go with a older foxeye fz600 over the fz6 but this is just a personal preferance

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2017, 10:13:27 am »
It depends how new you want to go but I'd personally have a look at older sport bikes like the Yamaha thundercat or Cbr600f if your wanting something quickish and comfy.
I started on a thundercat. I'm 6ft1, 16stone and found it very comfy for a sportbike. Its about the size of a modern litre bike so doesnt feel like a toy. It cost me £900 was 95% as quick as most R6's (especially ones ridden by normal guys) and lasted me 2 years before I hankered for an upgrade.

On another note, if you've just passed your test then chances are you won't be able to keep up with a well ridden R6 even on a 1000cc. A 600cc motorbike is still extremely powerful and will be much faster than anything you've ridden before. Even the test bikes aren't overly powerful.

So I personally I would focus more on finding a bike that you like and feel comfortable on rather than worrying if it'll keep up with your mate. If you play keep up too much you'll end up in an accident. Ride to your skill level and you'll gradually improve and become faster.

Don't mean to sound like I'm talking down to you or anything, just trying to offer advice from experience 😊

Ride safe 🖒

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2017, 11:47:43 am »
Hello, I've just turned 24 I'm 6'2-3 and a competent rider on smaller bikes. I just want to know really if an FZ6 is going to be big enough and fast enough for me. I'd like to be able to keep up with my mate on his R6. I'd like a sports bike but nothing I've tried really suits my build. I wan't to know if the FZ6 has enough power to keep me happy for a year or two.

The FZ6 has the de-tuned R6 engine, so you won't be able to keep up with your mate (there again, if he's riding like that, do you really want to?), however I've had one ever since I passed my Direct Access 10 years ago and still find it a very enjoyable bike to ride.

I'm only 5'7 so I don't know about the size issue, however if you do get one, other riders recommend swapping the screen for a Double Bubble one to give better wind protection.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2017, 09:30:04 pm »
Even if you get a race tuned R1, don't try to keep up. ride your own ride.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2017, 09:31:00 pm »
I have an old 900i Tiger that upsets R1 riders. its not what you ride, its how you ride.

Take it easy and keep safe.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2017, 10:00:47 pm »
i often go power-ranger baiting on my 650 versys between brecon and llandovery. all sorts of bikes ranging from RC8s, blades, R1s, MVs etc ridden by riders who cant ride them very well. bit childish for a 57 year old but fun!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2017, 11:10:46 pm »
Even if you get a race tuned R1, don't try to keep up. ride your own ride.

:agree
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2017, 07:09:57 am »
It's always difficult to keep up on group ride outs if your towards the back of the pack even if the lead rider takes it easy. Ride for yourself at a level your comfortable with. I've rode tail end Charlie on several ride outs and had to stop when riders have had a spill when riding beyond their ability trying to keep up.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June 2017, 07:25:49 pm »
i often go power-ranger baiting on my 650 versys between brecon and llandovery. all sorts of bikes ranging from RC8s, blades, R1s, MVs etc ridden by riders who cant ride them very well. bit childish for a 57 year old but fun!!
I used to do that on my tdm900,  great fun to watch them missing apexes trying to keep up.
As someone has already said, learn to ride first, the speed will come with experience.
As for a bike, I recon you couldn't do better than a fox eye six or a fazer 8.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!