Date: 26-04-24  Time: 07:14 am

Author Topic: Screw in my rear tyre?!  (Read 1773 times)

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Screw in my rear tyre?!
« on: 21 June 2017, 09:00:21 pm »
As title says, just discovered a bug screw embedded into the middle of my rear tyre?!! Hadent noticed as there is no loss in pressure? Could this be repaired or am i looking at a new rear hoop....?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Screw in my rear tyre?!
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2017, 09:22:03 pm »
in the middle should be plugable take it down a tyre fitter and they can have a look
dont even think about using slime you will be hated forever by the tyre fitter

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2017, 09:30:25 pm »
Like quick fit or similar? Or any motorcycle garage?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
go to a motorcycle tyre fitting garage - they will know more about bikes tyres than kwik fit who are car tyre ppl
i use a car garage that also do bike tyres but thats only because he races bikes on the side so i trust him

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2017, 10:11:39 pm »
OK il have a call around tomorow

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2017, 10:16:34 pm »
in the middle should be plugable take it down a tyre fitter and they can have a look
dont even think about using slime you will be hated forever by the tyre fitter

So what?
They don't mind selling the stuff in their shops!
I had a nail in my rear a while back and as long as the tyre has over half the tread then i have no issues using it, it's got me out of trouble a few times.
A fitter won't fix a tyre once you've used it though, it has to be replaced if you get a hole in a dodgy place.
Last time i got a screw in my tyre it let no air out whatsoever so i could ride straight to a tyre place.
Sods Law i got a nail in the new £160 rear tyre the next day, but luckily it was in the fleshy part so never punctured it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

chris.turton

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2017, 07:50:22 am »
I've just got to work and noticed a nail in mine [rear tyre]. Left the damn repair kit at home (not much use there is it). Try to find a garage or risk it getting home?

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2017, 08:05:40 am »
-- fitter wont fix once used it (the slime that is)
there is the point, why when obviously at home would you put £10 shit in your tyre when 10 mins spanner spinning has a wheel you can take down and have fixed correctly, and not cost another £xxx for a new one
(pretty sure having all that extra weight in your tyre would cause some issues aswell)
(slime is a great emergancy repair if i was down my uncles 300miles away on a sunday and needed to get home but had a flat from a nail i would use it but if im anywhere in cumbria i wouldnt, i would find another way)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2017, 10:06:58 am »
-- fitter wont fix once used it (the slime that is)
there is the point, why when obviously at home would you put £10 shit in your tyre when 10 mins spanner spinning has a wheel you can take down and have fixed correctly, and not cost another £xxx for a new one
(pretty sure having all that extra weight in your tyre would cause some issues aswell)
(slime is a great emergancy repair if i was down my uncles 300miles away on a sunday and needed to get home but had a flat from a nail i would use it but if im anywhere in cumbria i wouldnt, i would find another way)

Because as i said before, i'll only use it if the tyre is not new, or in an advanced state as it were, plus it depends what part of the tyre the hole is in. If it's the fleshy part this stuff works just fine, if it was a hole in the tread part then i'd certainly consider a plug without a doubt if the tyre still had decent tread on it.
Not sure what you mean by "all that extra weight", i've never noticed any balancing issues at all, but then again my bike is mainly for commuting so it certainly works for me, and will obviously protect against any other unfortunate punctures. If i get a second hole, at least i can ride the bike straight to a fitters, rather than standing there looking at a flat.
Each to their own i s'pose, but i've used it about 3 times now, over many years, and it's done a good job as far as i'm concerned whenever i've felt the need to use it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 June 2017, 11:00:14 am »
I read somewhere a long time ago about some tyre fitters not liking the use of tyre sealant so I asked at my local Yamaha dealership (now the oldest dealership in the country)their opinion on it was,we sell the stuff to the customer to use & tyre fitters that moan about it are just being lazy not wanting to clean the wheel & tyre inside before repair.   

As darrsi said as long as the correct qty is put in the tyre to coat the inner surface no imbalance will occur, in the States & other parts of the world they use balance beads instead of weights with no ill effect.   

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2017, 11:11:58 am »
chris,as long as the nail is fairly flush (not liable to come out) & you don't think it's losing pressure I would risk riding home steady on it.

chris.turton

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2017, 11:23:00 am »
I'll have a look at the end of the day. I've found a place about 5 miles out that might be able to fix it. Closer than home so worth a punt

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2017, 01:18:51 pm »
I read somewhere a long time ago about some tyre fitters not liking the use of tyre sealant so I asked at my local Yamaha dealership (now the oldest dealership in the country)their opinion on it was,we sell the stuff to the customer to use & tyre fitters that moan about it are just being lazy not wanting to clean the wheel & tyre inside before repair.   

As darrsi said as long as the correct qty is put in the tyre to coat the inner surface no imbalance will occur, in the States & other parts of the world they use balance beads instead of weights with no ill effect.

Are you on about the little ball bearing type beads you let run around in your tyre and they balance it as you travel?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2017, 01:27:50 pm »
Yes, the type you add through the tyre valve like the sealant but just for balancing purposes.

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2017, 02:08:48 pm »
Booked in for next week and i can easily cycle to work so its all good, lots of life in the tyre so hoping it can be fixed !

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2017, 03:06:24 pm »
Yes, the type you add through the tyre valve like the sealant but just for balancing purposes.

I tried them for a while, couldn't really tell if they worked or not, and when your tyre gets changed they get lost all over the floor by the fitter.