Date: 20-04-24  Time: 01:34 am

Author Topic: Handlebar vibration extra damping  (Read 1795 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Handlebar vibration extra damping
« on: 17 June 2017, 04:19:05 pm »
Anyone put extra weight inside their handlebars to damp out vibration, I've renthal ultra lows with RG end weights but there is still an annoying vibration there, I was thinking of kiln dried sand, lead shot or brass internal bar, approx. 13mm diameter by 150mm long. Any thoughts ?

It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Handlebar vibration extra damping
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2017, 05:40:50 pm »
Anyone put extra weight inside their handlebars to damp out vibration, I've renthal ultra lows with RG end weights but there is still an annoying vibration there, I was thinking of kiln dried sand, lead shot or brass internal bar, approx. 13mm diameter by 150mm long. Any thoughts ?

I've got a Gen2 FZ1, I filled the bars with lead shot. Best, cheap mod ive done. Completely eliminated vibes in the cruising speed band. Reduced them massively at all other noticeable points in rev band.

I think I put 2kg of shot in [i worked it out by calculating the bars as a cylinder and finding the density of shot]. I think the shot cost about £12 delivered. Poured it into one end with the bike lent on one side, using a funnel.[/i]

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2017, 05:41:39 pm »
To be honest I've found gloves make a huge different with this. If I wear my thin mx style gloves then it's really bad but if I've got my thicker race ones on it barely noticeable.
Also have you tried the gel grips? Never used then myself but are meant to make a big difference

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2017, 01:41:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies fellas, think I'll try the lead shot option.
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2017, 07:54:18 pm »
Using the standard bars on my 600 Fazer and found that I was getting problems from vibration through the throttle grip, particularly on longer stretches of constant speed running where 50mph average speed cameras are operating, etc. Left hand grip was fine.

I was considering, carb balancing, foam grips, heavier bar ends, etc. etc. but after a bit of investigation I realised that the throttle tube seemed to have excessive clearance over the inner bar in that you could rattle the throttle at standstill. I whipped off the throttle tube and after cleaning the bar I applied 3 short lengths of electrician's tape running outwards to the end of the bar and spaced equally around the circumference. The throttle tube still cleared and operated fine but without the rattle. I sprayed it with GT85 and reassembled.

Just had a test run for an hour or so and the vibration has disappeared. Result!

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2017, 09:37:29 pm »
Just a thought but if the gt85 softens the adhesive on the tape it may end up curling up at the edges as you move the throttle and causing problems.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2017, 11:19:36 pm »
Using the standard bars on my 600 Fazer and found that I was getting problems from vibration through the throttle grip, particularly on longer stretches of constant speed running where 50mph average speed cameras are operating, etc. Left hand grip was fine.

I was considering, carb balancing, foam grips, heavier bar ends, etc. etc. but after a bit of investigation I realised that the throttle tube seemed to have excessive clearance over the inner bar in that you could rattle the throttle at standstill. I whipped off the throttle tube and after cleaning the bar I applied 3 short lengths of electrician's tape running outwards to the end of the bar and spaced equally around the circumference. The throttle tube still cleared and operated fine but without the rattle. I sprayed it with GT85 and reassembled.

Just had a test run for an hour or so and the vibration has disappeared. Result!

Brilliant! I'm a big fan of black electrical and gaffer tape, should be in every engineers and mechanics toolkit.  :)
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.