Date: 23-04-24  Time: 10:10 am

Author Topic: Need advice cracked manifold and speed wobble under acleration in 3/4 gear  (Read 1972 times)

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
Right so first and second gears aceleration is fine but as soon as your in 3 or 4 and pull the throttle doesnt seem to have power and then handle bars start to wobble like crazy                                                           

can just having the intake manifold craked all way through do this i have order new manifold boots but does the wobble come from engine jumping about under bad compression

any adice would be great

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Right so first and second gears aceleration is fine but as soon as your in 3 or 4 and pull the throttle doesnt seem to have power and then handle bars start to wobble like crazy                                                           

can just having the intake manifold craked all way through do this i have order new manifold boots but does the wobble come from engine jumping about under bad compression

any adice would be great

This could be all manner of things.  First is the engine pulling in 1st - 2nd gear to the red line?  When you say it "doesn't have power" is the engine still revving but the bike slowing or not accelerating at all the the bike is slowing?

Cracked intake manifold, do you mean rubbers?  These often crack but rarely right though, but it's possible and if they were would give you acceleration issues.   

Later

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
first and second gears aceleration is not bad i havent tried to go for it yet but it got a hard pull so i dont think its a problem

there is a leaking seal on the left fork

but it doesnt seam to rev properly in 3/4 gear when you acelerate hard no real power going to rear wheel and then it starts to wobble dramiticly

yes i mean the rubber manifold

seems to idol okay

« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 04:33:36 pm by psyfi_1 »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Mate the wobble and the engine problems are NOT linked.

You need to be more specific as to what the bike/engine is doing when you change up, is the engine still revving but the bike is slowing?

If so it could be the clutch is slipping.  Is the bike just slowing and the engine is dying as it's revved in which case this could be fuel problem, too rich or weak mixture.

The handling issues again could be alsorts, but from what you say the bike doesn't appear to be in a good state or repair, where did you get it from, where in the world are you?  Leaking fork seal won't help but most wobbles are caused by rear end problems, worn shock, seized swinging arm/ shock linkage bearings/bushes and or worn/mismatched tyres.
Later

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
RIGHT

the bike revs stay as they are roughly even when pulling acelorator its seams to struggle then bike starts to wobble

if the bike was reving but going slowly it would be the clutch no friction from plates means no go but thats not what i said

i said its loosing power between 3/4 gear when acelerating then it starts to wobble

IT ONLY WOBBLES WHEN ACELORATING IN 3/4 GEAR NO OTHER TIMES

so stop asking me the same questions 
« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 06:45:13 pm by psyfi_1 »

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
RIGHT

the bike revs stay as they are roughly even when pulling acelorator its seams to struggle then bike starts to wobble

if the bike was reving but going slowly it would be the clutch no friction from plates means no go but thats not what i said

i said its loosing power between 3/4 gear when acelerating then it starts to wobble

IT ONLY WOBBLES WHEN ACELORATING IN 3/4 GEAR NO OTHER TIMES AND WONT ACELORATE HARD CAN ONLY BUILD UP THE REVS SLOWLY TO GET TO FOURTH GEAR

« Last Edit: 16 June 2017, 06:47:01 pm by psyfi_1 »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
RIGHT the bike revs stay as they are roughly even when pulling acelorator its seams to struggle then bike starts to wobble if the bike was reving but going slowly it would be the clutch no friction from plates means no go but thats not what i said

IT ONLY WOBBLES WHEN ACELORATING IN 3/4 GEAR NO OTHER TIMES
Mate you clearly have limited knowledge of how bikes work hence my questions.  I say again the wobble and the engine problem are NOT linked, handling issues are what I've told you and are SPEED related. The fact the engine wont rev beyond a certain rev range is neither here or there, the fact it wont pull 3/4 gear is because of loading which is mixture.  If the clutch slips i.e you stop accelerating but the engine stops revving, that's the question I asked you, I also asked if the bike was just slowing and the engine dying.  Both you've still not answered? 

I've also told you what the engine issues to look for and what the handling/wobble is caused by, I also asked you where in the world are you? This I did as your command of English isn't that good so it's possible English isn't your first language and allowances would be made.   

so stop asking me the same questions

It's very simple fella if you come o to his forum asking for help you'll get it but YOU hae to read the questions fully and answer them correctly, for anyone to be able to help you.  From what you've said it sounds like the bike you've got is a bit of a dog and could well have many issues.

Now if you think anyone can just tell you what is wrong with the information you've given you're very mistaken, check what I've told you or give us/me better and more information.
Later

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Also when you say wobble I presume you mean side to side? If fore and aft (front to back) then it could be engine related but as you don't make that plain it's difficult to diagnose.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website

What happens if you redline it in 2nd and then click through to 5th and try accellerating gently instead of using 3rd and 4th?

When you are changing from 2nd to 3rd, does it acccelerate when you turn the throttle gently? what about if you wind it wide open?
« Last Edit: 19 June 2017, 02:45:15 pm by BBROWN1664 »
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
and....

what happens if you short shift (change gear from 1-2-3-4-5-6 at say 4000rpm?)
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Is this the same bike as you were having trouble with 4 years ago?
Malc

Old enough to know better.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Cracked manifold eh? Have you tried the sniff test. Some of your problems could be caused my a badly fitted engine, check the engine mount rubbers for movement.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Sounds like a slipping clutch and soft rear suspension

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
forget the speed wobble for a bit (might be hard to do reading previous comments)

1 - check tank breather pipes (lift tank and two outlets but not the fuel line)

2 - check fuel line and filter isnt blocked/kinked - divert a pipe from fuel pump outlet to a bottle and switch on ignition to check flow

3 - check air filter is clean (as a quick fix you can use compressed air to blast some shit out but not to close or breakage possible)
if non of above
4 - carbs out time (find the manual in downloads i aint got space to tell you how)

5 - clean carbs (piece of piss if you have a clear table and are methodical about doing it)

6 - check inlet manifold rubbers are not cracked all the way through - an air leak can cause all sorts of issues UNDER LOAD
------------
this is all assuming you have already checked your plugs and caps (put another plug in each cap and run engine with plug touching something earthed)
a loose ht giving a shit spark can be a bugger i was running three cylinders for a bit and problems were only noticable higher up gears

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog