Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:56 pm

Author Topic: Carb inlet rubbers  (Read 1096 times)

vivfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Carb inlet rubbers
« on: 15 June 2017, 08:43:27 pm »
Hi all,
I need some advice.
I've noticed that the inlet rubbers between the carbs and the engine have small cracks in them, is this normal or should I replace them.
Cheers.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Carb inlet rubbers
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2017, 04:00:57 am »
hi Viv,
the general consensus is that if the cracks are small the chances are that they are just surface craks so probably no need to worry about them, Unless of course the bikes performance bogs down or runs crap then it may be a problem.
you could try spraying some WD 40 onto the rubbers with the bike ticking over and see if the engine tone changes or you can physically see the stuff being sucked into the cracks, if either of those happen then replace the rubbers.
I store my bike out of the elements 95 percent of the time as it seems to be sunshine that perishes the rubbers, as they crack from the outside inwards.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2017, 10:57:23 am »
As above, the cracks are generally just cosmetic due to age and environmental conditions, you'd be very lucky to find any used ones that aren't exactly the same.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2017, 12:07:49 pm »
Sets of new inlet rubbers can be purchased on evilBay at around 70-80 quid should you need them, but my guess is you don't

vivfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2017, 09:27:11 am »
Hi,many thanks for your help, , I have tried the WD 40 on the rubbers with no change , so I think they are ok.
Cheers.