Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Diesels and Lawnmowers (Bike racing n things)

I.O.M TT fatalities

<< < (2/2)

YamFazFan:
Does anyone know how important the TT is to the I.O.M. economy?.

It's only for two weeks of the year, but I'm guessing it's a significant amount.

Would the economy be seriously affected if there were no TT races?.

Freck:

--- Quote from: YamFazFan on 16 June 2017, 07:53:43 pm ---Does anyone know how important the TT is to the I.O.M. economy?.

It's only for two weeks of the year, but I'm guessing it's a significant amount.

Would the economy be seriously affected if there were no TT races?.

--- End quote ---
That was one of Phil's points too, as well as the road racing in Ireland. It's a big earner for a lot of businesses and  a vital income for lots of people.

F4celess:
This is the draw / excitement of this event, motorcycle racing on a "public road" circuit.
Having a 'bad year' where there were the most fatalities does not automatically mean the event should end.

Those individuals who did regretfully lose their lives, how many were professional riders compared to riders on the opposite end of the racing scale ?
(more of the latter would explain a lot).

The riders know the risks, they chose to compete, they enjoy the thrills of racing as much as we do watching them race.
Deaths are a potential outcome for alot of motor vehicle racing sports.

limax2:
I raced in the M.G.P. over a ten year period from 1972 when the top speed of my bikes was no more than 125mph. I remember thinking at the time it was a crazy speed to be going in places like Kirk Micheal, more so in the early couple of laps of practice until you settled into it all, but at the same time a great thrill that was never quite the same at short circuit racing. At the time I had a young family and my mother used to tell me I had no business doing such a dangerous sport. I was already short circuit racing when I met my wife and she never tried to discourage me from racing and we always enjoyed our racing holidays in the I.O.M. as a family and the kids grew up going to race meetings. After i stopped racing and as i have got older I started to see the wisdom of my mothers words, but didn't see it at the time. As it turned out I escaped any serious injury's and as a family we have many happy memories of the racing years. My enjoyment of spectating at the I.O.M. has definitely diminished as a result of the number of riders killed when i have been there, to the extent i very rarely go these days. Every time another rider is killed i think it should be stopped but at other times I think why should others be  denied the experience of racing there when I enjoyed it so much. A radical suggestion of mine to make it safer would be to introduce speed limiters to the bikes for safety reasons, but that would also even things up a bit and brink it back more to the skill of the rider.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version