Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:28 am

Author Topic: Oil warning light  (Read 3152 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Oil warning light
« on: 07 June 2017, 10:22:30 pm »
Hi guys

A couple months ago on my way back to London from Ireland my oil warning light came on for a split second when I changed gear at high RPM, this was no bother as I just pulled over, noticed my Oil level was a little lower than normal and topped it up. As soon as I got back to London I did an Oil and filter change, a few days later I was then changing gear again and the light came on for another split second (good thing my eyes keep catching it :lol ). I checked the oil level later that day and noticed I didn't put as much oil as allowed in when I did the change, Oil was about a quarter way up the glass so I topped it up with a little dash of the same oil from the change.

Tonight I was riding home from the Bike Shed and there was a moment where I gave it a few decent high revs (7-9K RPM) in 2nd gear and the light came on again for another tiny second but as soon as I ease off the throttle it went off, I spent the rest of the journey home trying to get the light to come on again to work out what is happening but I couldn't do it, which has left me confused.

Why does the Oil light occasionally just come on for a split second when either changing gears at high RPM or riding in high RPM's?

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks guys :)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Oil warning light
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2017, 10:32:41 pm »
The oil warning light is an oil level sensor, not an oil pressure sensor. When you give it some...... the oil in the sump is sloshing to the back and away from the sensor. Top it up a little more so the glass has oil almost to the top. Should stop coming on then. Either that, or stop doing wheelies  ;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2017, 10:41:24 pm »
I topped it up with a little dash of the same oil from the change.

Would you say that was about an egg cup full
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2017, 11:32:21 pm »
The oil warning light is an oil level sensor, not an oil pressure sensor. When you give it some...... the oil in the sump is sloshing to the back and away from the sensor. Top it up a little more so the glass has oil almost to the top. Should stop coming on then. Either that, or stop doing wheelies  ;)

Ah I was thinking maybe there is just a split second where the oil goes below the senor and so it triggers the light, will top it up again and see if it stops it.

p.s But wheelies are so much fun  :'( ;)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2017, 11:33:29 pm »

Hmm possibly, give or take

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2017, 06:07:13 am »
Put bike on centre stand on level ground

Start engine and let tickover for one minute

Turn ignition off

Watch the oil window until it settles, which will probably take about a minute

That's your oil level

Next to the oil window there are lower and upper markings on the engine casing, you want the oil level about two thirds to three quarters of the way up between the markers

Once the oil level settles, if you need to add more, do a SMALL AMOUNT at a time, then REPEAT THE ABOVE PROCESS.
Don't start pouring it in for fun, 'cos you don't want too much in there either, as that can cause other problems.

Chances are that right now you simply haven't got enough in there, i'm guessing due to you judging the oil level with a cold unstarted engine.

The window on my bike has clouded up now, so i have to fill it up by measurement alone.
Once emptied and a new filter fitted i've put in about 2.8 litres to be safe.
If you aren't changing the oil filter this time around then it's a 2.5 litre sump, so that's a good figure to start with, you can simply pour that amount in knowing you safely have enough to begin with, then top up if needed after going through the usual procedure.

Luckily i never ever have to top up between changes, and i change the oil every 4000 miles so it's not too much of a big deal, although i've decided to replace the oil filter every time now as the filters are so inexpensive.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2017, 10:04:53 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2017, 06:10:30 am »

Need to be more specific matey  :pokefun :lol 
Up to 210ml in volume apparently  :)

« Last Edit: 08 June 2017, 06:12:57 am by darrsi »

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2017, 10:08:06 pm »

Turn ignition off

That's your oil level

Next to the oil window there are lower and upper markings on the engine casing, you want the oil level about two thirds to three quarters of the way up between the markers

Once the oil level settles, if you need to add more, do a SMALL AMOUNT at a time, then REPEAT THE ABOVE PROCESS.
Don't start pouring it in for fun, 'cos you don't want too much in there either, as that can cause other problems.

Chances are that right now you simply haven't got enough in there, i'm guessing due to you judging the oil level with a cold unstarted engine.

The window on my bike has clouded up now, so i have to fill it up by measurement alone.
If you aren't changing the oil filter this time around then it's a 2.5 litre sump, so that's a good figure to start with, you can simply pour that amount in knowing you safely have enough to begin with, then top up if needed after going through the usual procedure.

Luckily i never ever have to top up between changes, and i change the oil every 4000 miles so it's not too much of a big deal, although i've decided to replace the oil filter every time now as the filters are so inexpensive.

When I checked it yesterday after the light came on I got home from my 45 minute ride, turned the bike off, waited 5 minutes and then check the oil level and it was fine. I got confused by this as I can't understand why the light would come of for a split second

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2017, 10:08:40 pm »

Behave  :rolleyes :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2017, 11:04:43 pm »

Turn ignition off

That's your oil level

When I checked it yesterday after the light came on I got home from my 45 minute ride, turned the bike off, waited 5 minutes and then check the oil level and it was fine. I got confused by this as I can't understand why the light would come of for a split second

But i didn't say 5 minutes, i said 1 minute, while there's oil still covering the engine parts!

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2017, 02:49:53 pm »
If it's only comes on for a split second it's nothing to worry about especially if it's while accelerating.  If it stays on at a steady speed then there's a problem to get worried about

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2017, 02:58:47 pm »
It looks more like a frayed wire in the circuit earthing than oil level issue
I would check the wiring from the level switch to the plug under the side cover

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 June 2017, 03:04:52 pm »
It looks more like a frayed wire in the circuit earthing than oil level issue
I would check the wiring from the level switch to the plug under the side cover

Happens at high revs, and his oil was noticeably low.
My money's still on the level.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 June 2017, 10:48:37 am »
Right so recently I have decided to just do nothing about the issue, I've checked the oil thats about it but it seemed fine so didnt bother topping it up.

I then decided to go to Worcester from London and visit a few old friends thinking a fairly long trip blasting it down the M40/M42 would make the light come on again as i wasn't hanging about 😉😂.

Throughout the whole journey nothing happened, no light no nothing, this just shows how temperamental this issue has been. Sometimes I'm riding fairly quickly and the light just pops on for literally 1 second, but yet i can go nealy 200 miles on motorways doing motorway speeds (definitely motorway speeds😉😂) and not have the light come on once.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2017, 12:15:43 pm »
the light is more likely to come on when accelerating rapidly due to the oil sloshing to the back of the gearbox and dropping in level at the front.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 June 2017, 03:49:23 pm »
UPDATE

Ok so today I've been riding around Worcestershire and I've noticed the light only comes on when I'm accelerating hard in 2nd just after the gear change from 1st.

Currently I'm pulled over at the side of the road as we speak as it has just done it 3 times in a row from accelerating off ref lights and I don't want it to blow up.

I've got some oil with me so I'm going to give her some and hope it makes her happier 😓

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 June 2017, 07:12:12 pm »

The egg also has to be strong to survive a fair drop to the ground.
I'm not sure how high up from the ground an Ostriches arsehole actually is. :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2017, 07:24:07 pm »
Also if the oil level sensor is just that, a level sensor and not a pressure switch and the oil level is correct there is not problem, as someone quite rightly pointed out the oil is rushing to the rear of the engine under hard acceleration, if this is the case just the viscosity of the oil would make a huge difference as well.
Now I am no mechanic but I think the advice being given is sound, as long as the level is correct within the 'Max' and 'Min' marks with both wheels on level ground, should be good to go, I keep mine at about 3/4's up the sight glass.
As Darrsi said over filling  could bring another set of problems like blown or leaking engine seals.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 June 2017, 03:48:41 am »
Also if the oil level sensor is just that, a level sensor and not a pressure switch and the oil level is correct there is not problem, as someone quite rightly pointed out the oil is rushing to the rear of the engine under hard acceleration, if this is the case just the viscosity of the oil would make a huge difference as well.
Now I am no mechanic but I think the advice being given is sound, as long as the level is correct within the 'Max' and 'Min' marks with both wheels on level ground, should be good to go, I keep mine at about 3/4's up the sight glass.
As Darrsi said over filling  could bring another set of problems like blown or leaking engine seals.

Thanks Tommy

And thank you to everyone else who has offered some pretty solid advice.

Since topping her up yesterday i didnt get the problem today, will look to see what happenens but may end up just changing the sensor and seeing if that works.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 June 2017, 09:09:16 am »
Out of curiosity, what is the exact brand and grade of oil that you're using?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 June 2017, 09:15:30 am »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 June 2017, 10:25:08 am »
I keep telling you if you get the "oil flash light" then about an eggcup full of oil to top up is all it needs to cure it. When it happened to me I was using halfords oil and I put it down to that as the level was the same as always when in the past I had used Castrol   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 June 2017, 10:54:59 am »
I'm using castol power 1 racing 10w-40 fully.

I did an oil change in early May where at the same time i put some Wynn's engine flush in it, however this problem first started before all this when i was riding home from Ireland in mid April.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 June 2017, 11:43:41 am »
I'm using castol power 1 racing 10w-40 fully.

I did an oil change in early May where at the same time i put some Wynn's engine flush in it, however this problem first started before all this when i was riding home from Ireland in mid April.

I've been using this stuff for quite a while now, and i'm more than happy with it, so if you wanna save yourself a few quid next time i highly recommend it.
First time i've ever tried fully synthetic, and gear changing feels a tad smoother so i think i'll stick with it from now on.
Although i do change mine every 4000 miles anyway, instead of the service manual's 6000 miles, it's just something i've always done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Fully-Synthetic-10W-40-10W40-Motorcycle-Oil-4-Stroke-JASO-MA2-10W-40-/111838862300?hash=item1a0a1d9bdc:g:anIAAOSwHQ9WXgZf