Date: 26-04-24  Time: 13:36 pm

Author Topic: Odd noise from just below the tank?  (Read 1137 times)

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Odd noise from just below the tank?
« on: 03 June 2017, 07:36:42 am »
Not a whining sound... more a sort of washing machine cycle sound, more gutteral than high pitched? Started on the last part of the journey back from The Krazy Horse the other night so i has beeb wringing its neck. Bike starts and droves ok tbh, the sound is not present when sitting, just on the move, pulling the clutch in when rolling along the road does not stop it either. The bike was whining a little on the motorwats through the gears, but i noticed that stopped somewhat at least when this sound started? Also When stationary in the garage, engine running, if i hold the revs with the throttle ot seems like a larger chunk of the rev range is quite burbley now? Could be imagining it though.
Carb rebalance?
Cam Chain ?
Leak in the carb rubbers?
Any thoughts/advice would be great, apologies for the descriptions but without being here its difficult to capture the sound :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Odd noise from just below the tank?
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2017, 09:10:05 am »
Cam chain rattle sounds similar to a light sewing machine noise, but at first would be more noticeable on start up until the oil gets warm, then would normally disappear after 5-10mins of riding. It would only persist after a few months, which would normally mean you're in between clicks on the tensioner, but the sound would remain when sitting idling. Normally more noisy in winter due to oil temperature. If the tensioner was knackered or the chain worn then you'd have been asking about it ages ago.
These gearboxes whine in general, a louder end can sorted that out for me, but check your oil level to be safe.
Any air leak at all, rubbers included, would result in "bogging down", meaning any sharp throttling would literally feel non responsive and quite simply terrible to control, i think you'd know straight away if it was that.
You could quickly try a TPS check to rule that out, see if it's positioned correctly and if it isn't, or it's kaput, then it can really affect the running and sound of the bike.
You need a fully working TPS to do a carb balance, plus a breathing clean air filter, so a check is necessary, and it only takes seconds to do so is one to rule out firstly anyway.

« Last Edit: 03 June 2017, 09:44:21 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2017, 10:48:29 am »
Wouldn't put it past just being the drive chain and sprockets being worn outer in bed of adjustment.
To test the theory apply a really thick chain lube and allow to dry/set them go for a ride, if it's quieter then you're on the right track.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Tubz1983

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2017, 11:39:51 am »
Chain and sprockets are less than a year old and look fine, but il do the TPS check if i can remember how? Reminder anyone?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2017, 12:11:20 pm »
Check the plug caps, could be loose on the wires, if so do the customery, take 10mm off the end of the wires and scew the caps back on.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 June 2017, 12:30:45 pm »
Chain and sprockets are less than a year old and look fine, but il do the TPS check if i can remember how? Reminder anyone?

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,22665.0.html
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.