Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:42 pm

Author Topic: Front sprocket change  (Read 4075 times)

zielik

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Front sprocket change
« on: 31 May 2017, 06:35:22 pm »
HI All  :D

Recently had some noise coming from the chain/ front sprocket on my Fazer FZS600 2002. Removed the cover and looks like that sprocket needs to be replaced as some of it cracked (see pic attached). I want to buy sprocket, retainer and retainer nut online  but from the pics online shops looks like that sprocket got a different look. I am using that shop:  http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/

They have different types of sprockets and I am not sure which one is correct. They have less or added teeth

[size=78%]Can anyone help? [/size] :'(

Thanks
Dawid

Zielik

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 07:52:22 pm by celticbiker »
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket change
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2017, 07:46:08 pm »
Chill out!!
The sprocket is fine, some fazer have the sprocket encased in plastic to try and reduce noise, all that has happen is that some of the plastic has cracked and fallen off.
Mine is a lot worse and still works fine.
Save your self the money and remove any loose bits and carry on.
Only needs replacing if the teeth are becoming hooked which isn't clear in your pic but looks ok.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 07:46:51 pm by Skippernick »
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2017, 07:52:18 pm »
Hard to say from your pic.

But if you do change the front sprocket and only the front sprocket, you need to be confident that there is little or no stretch in your chain, no tight spots etc. 

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2017, 08:40:20 pm »
That front sprocket is fine, it still has one tooth left :lol

zielik

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2017, 09:28:25 pm »

Chill out!!
The sprocket is fine, some fazer have the sprocket encased in plastic to try and reduce noise, all that has happen is that some of the plastic has cracked and fallen off.
Mine is a lot worse and still works fine.
Save your self the money and remove any loose bits and carry on.
Only needs replacing if the teeth are becoming hooked which isn't clear in your pic but looks ok.

Problem is that mine started to be noisy when riding slowly and I think is because the missing places on the sprocket case. It's really loud (hard to explain the type of noise)  :\ 
[size=78%]It's getting worse when leaning which could indicate wrong chain tension but I've adjusted it but it didn't cancel the noise.[/size]
Zielik

zielik

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2017, 09:30:30 pm »
You can't can't just replace the front sprocket, with that much wear you'll need to change the chain and rear sprocket too.
This front sprocket
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/picture/sprocket_front_-_jt/

This year sprocket
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/picture/sprocket_front_-_jt/

And this chain

Retainer and nut

Hi Celticbiker

Thank you for reply and all the links, but all links are for the same front sprocket :-(

I think that it is time anyway to replace all of the above.  :'(

Thanks
Dawid

« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 09:46:46 pm by zielik »
Zielik

zielik

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2017, 09:45:51 pm »
You can't can't just replace the front sprocket, with that much wear you'll need to change the chain and rear sprocket too.
This front sprocket

This year sprocket

And this chain

Retainer and nut

Hi Celticbiker

Thank you for reply and all the links, but all are to the same link of the front sprocket.

I think that it is time anyway to replace all of the above.  :'( 

Thanks
Dawid
Zielik

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2017, 01:16:48 pm »
If you've adjusted the chain by moving the rear wheel you may have slightly put it in a different position.
So the noise "could" be the chain cutting a new path on the plastic chain guide?
Tends to sound worse when people upgrade to new heavier duty chains, it makes a buzzing/rubbing noise.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2017, 04:23:33 pm »
If you've adjusted the chain by moving the rear wheel you may have slightly put it in a different position.
So the noise "could" be the chain cutting a new path on the plastic chain guide?
Tends to sound worse when people upgrade to new heavier duty chains, it makes a buzzing/rubbing noise.

Sorry, but this post is the most ignorant, dimwitted piece of 'advice' I've ever seen on a forum. What the hell are you talking about?
'New path on the chain guide' my arse.
Evidence of this?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2017, 06:53:42 pm »

Sorry, but this post is the most ignorant, dimwitted piece of 'advice' I've ever seen on a forum. What the hell are you talking about?
Evidence of this?

Oh, it's you again, you bellend.
If you can't figure it out just fuck off and do one.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2017, 07:06:35 pm »
HI All  :D

Recently had some noise coming from the chain/ front sprocket on my Fazer FZS600 2002. Removed the cover and looks like that sprocket needs to be replaced as some of it cracked (see pic attached). I want to buy sprocket, retainer and retainer nut online  but from the pics online shops looks like that sprocket got a different look. I am using that shop:  http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fzs_600_fazer_sp/02-03/

They have different types of sprockets and I am not sure which one is correct. They have less or added teeth

[size=78%]Can anyone help? [/size] :'(

Thanks
Dawid

Does all look rather clean and a bit too dry in the picture, how often do you oil or lube the chain?

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2017, 07:13:59 pm »

Evidence of this?

I must say Pieman, do you get smacked a lot in real life, because if you talk to people like you post then I'm not surprised.
Don't consider  a diplomatic service job unless its for Trump then you would fit in perfectly.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2017, 08:36:59 pm »

:lol :lol :lol

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2017, 08:49:21 pm »
didya check the sprocket lube before ya put de chain on coz the rear sprocket will make it noisy..ooops another bellend just replied. :'(
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2017, 09:23:56 am »

Evidence of this?

I must say Pieman, do you get smacked a lot in real life, because if you talk to people like you post then I'm not surprised.
Don't consider  a diplomatic service job unless its for Trump then you would fit in perfectly.

Seriously, he must work in Customer Services for 'Cunts R Us'.

I encourage anyone to discuss, or even question my sometimes dubious theories, but there's a small matter of manners. We all learn new stuff every day, whether it be to do with fixing the bike or riding it, and we all get on extremely well on here, having a laugh but being educated along the way.
But if you go full on and take a random snipe at me, don't expect me to react too well.
That's twice now he's managed to rattle me by being a troll like wanker.
It's not welcome and i will not tolerate it, and i reckon he needs to go back to the Early Learning Centre to pick up some very needed simple social skills. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2017, 11:41:43 pm »

Evidence of this?
Its called a chain guide- I have no idea why its needed because its a piece of rubber that does not guide the chain - it just gets cut by the chain as it rubs past it, mine has.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 June 2017, 12:05:30 am »

Evidence of this?
Its called a chain guide- I have no idea why its needed because its a piece of rubber that does not guide the chain - it just gets cut by the chain as it rubs past it, mine has.
[/quote

It's just the name of the part.
And if you check it, you'll notice the chain wears a path, quite simple really.
If you upset the chain by moving the rear wheelby a fraction of a millimetre it will rub against the sides creating a new path, and a bit of noise again until bedded in.
Very common if you upgrade from an OEM to a D.I.D. for example.
Been there, done that, as have many others on here.  :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2017, 01:04:23 am »

Evidence of this?
[/quote

It's just the name of the part.
And if you check it, you'll notice the chain wears a path, quite simple really.
If you upset the chain by moving the rear wheelby a fraction of a millimetre it will rub against the sides creating a new path, and a bit of noise again until bedded in.
Very common if you upgrade from an OEM to a D.I.D. for example.
Been there, done that, as have many others on here.  :)
Yep thats what I meant when I said  "it just gets cut by the chain as it rubs past it, mine has."
Yes I have a grove cut into it and can well imagine it would make a noise cutting a new path

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2017, 10:34:27 am »

Evidence of this?

Metal could create sparks towards the engine i s'pose, so not entirely ideal if you were to have a fuel leak, unless you dig that Ghost Rider look.  :lol

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 June 2017, 11:06:46 am »
I think of it as a swing arm protector. Without it the chain would wear away the top/bottom surface of swing arm-its just Japanese not having exactly right word for it!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 June 2017, 11:24:26 am »
I think of it as a swing arm protector. Without it the chain would wear away the top/bottom surface of swing arm-its just Japanese not having exactly right word for it!

"Rubbery"  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 June 2017, 11:43:34 am »
I dont know of anyone on here who has had to replace a completely worn one, your chain would have to be so slack as to wear through it that you would have other problems, like it jumping off

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: 08 June 2017, 10:33:41 am »

If its cutting a new path, its too tight.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 June 2017, 11:53:12 am »

If its cutting a new path, its too tight.

Or a heavier than standard replacement chain, they need a bit of bedding in when first fitting, which is what causes the loud noise. Had it myself, and others on here have had it as well before, it's nothing new.