Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:39 pm

Author Topic: Ignition barrel sticky  (Read 1103 times)

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
Ignition barrel sticky
« on: 28 May 2017, 09:23:58 pm »
Just aquired my first fz6 2006 model and its great but the ignition barrel is sticky .I thought i could live with it but its getting on my tits now.I have cleaned and oiled as best i can but still no improvement.my question is can i buy a replacement barrel and key or do i need matching cdi etc .Any advice welcome cheers --
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition barrel sticky
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2017, 09:33:29 pm »
Just aquired my first fz6 2006 model and its great but the ignition barrel is sticky .I thought i could live with it but its getting on my tits now.I have cleaned and oiled as best i can but still no improvement.my question is can i buy a replacement barrel and key or do i need matching cdi etc .Any advice welcome cheers --

Hi Dinger,
Is the ignition on the top of the steering yoke on the FZ6? sorry about asking that question cos I'm an FZS man myself.

If it is then the chances are that the key has either had pressure pushed against it during its life or sometime that opposite can happen IE the key is pulled towards the riding as it is turned either way it causes uneven wear on both the key and the barrel.
I have to pull my key slightly towards the back of my bike (Towards me horizontally, not up as if being taken out) and my lock works smoothly every time.
Try gently pulling the key towards you as you turn it if that does not work try gently pushing it away from you .
I would put money on that it will be fine and work as it should, The steering lock action will need the same treatment.
Let us know how you get on with it, it had better work I have a tenner on it.  :eek
tommy     

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2017, 11:06:48 am »
Cheers tommy works a treat now regards Stu-
MY GRANDAD TOLD ME -WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER--EXCEPT FOR A BEAR THAT WILL DEFINATELY KILL YOU---

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2017, 08:53:04 pm »
Try some graphite lock spray. That tends to help most sticking issues with barrel locks

Dinger1962

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • - 1987 tomos 50cc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2017, 07:55:55 pm »
Thanks dude will do -