Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:36 pm

Author Topic: place your bets!  (Read 4957 times)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
place your bets!
« on: 26 May 2017, 07:35:22 pm »
I'm just about to cross the border from the Netherlands into German to give the old girl a workout on the autobahn.
:-)
What top speed do you reckon I'll get?
Have a guess!
2000 bike, 40,000miles, recent service, K&N filter, scorpion can, 100kg rider, no luggage.
I'll give my speed on the flat, from my speedo and TomTom.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: place your bets!
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2017, 07:42:38 pm »
Hard to say when I dont know what colour your bike is.........mmmmmm my guess........ 142 mph.....what do I win  :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2017, 08:20:21 pm »
Mine's a 2000, and with mileage not far off that at the time i got up to 135mph but with a passenger as well, but had to close the throttle as a car was changing lanes way up ahead of me.
So i reckon if you go for it you should hit 140mph if the bike's in good nick and the weather/wind is kind.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2017, 10:15:55 pm »
I've had 135mph indicated and it had more to go, not loads but deffo more.  I reckon 145 indicated.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2017, 11:13:58 pm »
Hard to say when I dont know what colour your bike is.........mmmmmm my guess........ 142 mph.....what do I win  :lol
Yes help us here by reminding us what colour it is I would say
Black 146 mph
Silver 141
Red black silver140
Gold 139
Red 138
Blue 125 ( with the wind behind you )
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2017, 12:16:35 am »
Give over Sharpie everyone knows the blue ones are the prettiest and the fastest, anyone who tries to deny it is just jealous :lol 

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2017, 06:41:56 am »
She's silver...
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2017, 07:42:22 am »
Yes help us here by reminding us what colour it is I would say
Black 146 mph
Silver 141
Red black silver140
Gold 139
Red 138
Blue 125 ( with the wind behind you )

:agree
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2017, 08:00:48 am »
Don't think the K&N filter or the end can will make any difference at all to be honest.
They will make the bike feel more throttle responsive, and sound better/faster in the low to mid range areas, but in reality for top speed i betcha an OEM exhaust makes the bike a tad quicker at top the end rather than an aftermarket one.

Over to you Mr Fazersharp.......we want proof.......and a duel.  :b

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2017, 09:19:13 am »
Don't think the K&N filter or the end can will make any difference at all to be honest.
They will make the bike feel more throttle responsive, and sound better/faster in the low to mid range areas, but in reality for top speed i betcha an OEM exhaust makes the bike a tad quicker at top the end rather than an aftermarket one.

Over to you Mr Fazersharp.......we want proof.......and a duel.  :b

Had my 2003 FZS600 Foxeye flat out on the A3/A3M London to Portsmouth Road about a year and a half ago. around 2am in the morning, clear, calm and warm.
Speedometer showed 147, Tom Tom showed 143, now I'm not saying whether that was 143 speed or 143 time, well you never know who reads this stuff   :stop . but my old girl has 38K on the clock and is in Silver.
(Or in Primer as some heartless sod once said in here)

That was its flat out top speed over about 2 to 3 miles, a bit of traffic about mainly trucks and vans and a few cars but overall it was quiet.
The steering at that speed left a bit to be desired, I felt as if I really had to force the old girl over, but everything happens so quickly at that speed Oops! time of day I mean.
Since then I have replaced all my wheel bearing and done the full monty suspension upgrade, so it may be a little better, but I am also 1.5 years older now so maybe I will never know.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2017, 11:31:45 am »
I have a top box on mine, so not only did the pillion help create a wind slipstream to go past it, but the extra weight planted the bike more firmly on the floor.
If i was to go past 100mph riding on my own the top box gets hammered by the wind and it all starts feeling a little bit unpleasant.
At those speeds the wind speed and direction obviously plays a massive part, as does what type of bike clothing you're wearing as well.
Even not having your lid tightened up really well can make things awkward too, 'cos if it's too loose your head starts shaking like a Churchill dog.  :lol 

And then you get your Isle Of Man TT racers, who are not only in a different league, but literally scare the life out of me just watching them, with a current AVERAGE lap speed record of a fraction under 134mph. That's just insanity at its finest.
Roll on next week. 8)
« Last Edit: 27 May 2017, 11:36:20 am by darrsi »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2017, 01:10:02 pm »
Just last night actually I was going down an a road and my right earplug was not in properly having been out for a 50 mile ride I was fed up with wind blast noise so I ducked down below the the shield and my speed almost instantly went up, as you would expect so that is also a factor.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2017, 02:58:04 pm »
Just last night actually I was going down an a road and my right earplug was not in properly having been out for a 50 mile ride I was fed up with wind blast noise so I ducked down below the the shield and my speed almost instantly went up, as you would expect so that is also a factor.

I think the cause of the speed increase will be arthritis  :lol . As you moved your body down your shoulder and wrist went with it.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2017, 02:44:37 pm »
:agree

I do fully expect the silver one to be slower than a black one though. This is why I will be repainting the one I have not :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2017, 11:13:14 pm »
Cheeky bar steward  :foc
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2017, 08:05:29 am »
Let's hope this doesn't happen
https://youtu.be/vKw3xzyo68k
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2017, 12:32:47 pm »
Let's hope this doesn't happen
https://youtu.be/vKw3xzyo68k

That is the downside with high speeds, even looking well ahead doesn't really help predict things like that happening, and it is absolutely no fault whatsoever of the car driver.
Luckily no harm done in that video, apart from maybe a change of pants.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2017, 10:41:26 am »
Well honestly, I didn't go that quick...

141mph on the speedo -  129mph on the satnav with more to go.

...On the first day, I found unless I tucked in my arms and knees and got my head right down behind my double bubble windscreen, the bike was oscillating like mad from 120mph to 130mph!!!... and if I sat up under braking it got worse!!!  :eek :eek

Previously I remember the bike being more stable, although that had been with a top box and panniers and prior to replacing the head bearings and servicing the forks. The steering is now really light and maybe the fork service changed the geometry a little?! who knows..? I'm also a bit heavier these days?!

So the following morning I did a tyre pressure check and put a little more in front and rear to get 38/42. It made it a bit better to ride so I decided to power through and found I could reduce the oscillation a little if I put in a slight steering input.

So the results...

When I tucked in, I got the needle past 140mph on the speedo and it was still pulling!!... However I looked down at the TomTom and that was showing just 129mph. This was all fast enough for me and not a speed I wanted to sustain, so I backed off. I would say on a sustained run the bike would hit an 'actual'/satnav speed of 135mph.

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2017, 01:50:25 pm »

...On the first day, I found unless I tucked in my arms and knees and got my head right down behind my double bubble windscreen, the bike was oscillating like mad from 120mph to 130mph!!!... and if I sat up under braking it got worse!!!  :eek :eek

Previously I remember the bike being more stable, although that had been with a top box and panniers and prior to replacing the head bearings and servicing the forks. The steering is now really light and maybe the fork service changed the geometry a little?! who knows..? I'm also a bit heavier these days?!

So the following morning I did a tyre pressure check and put a little more in front and rear to get 38/42. It made it a bit better to ride so I decided to power through and found I could reduce the oscillation a little if I put in a slight steering input.

So the results...

When I tucked in, I got the needle past 140mph on the speedo and it was still pulling!!... However I looked down at the TomTom and that was showing just 129mph. This was all fast enough for me and not a speed I wanted to sustain, so I backed off. I would say on a sustained run the bike would hit an 'actual'/satnav speed of 135mph.

Is a sat nav more reliable than a speedo though?
As you say, and as i found too, it's not a desirable thing to ride at these speeds. The extra thinking and attention that is needed, looking way ahead for any lane changers, is hard work, as is the wind on your body, and bike.
It is something you need to do though just to get it out of your system.

Anyway, do i get a prize for saying 140mph?  :)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2017, 02:34:53 pm »

So the results...

Err - I said  Silver = 141mph which was exacty right to the spedo

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2017, 06:30:24 pm »

So the results...

Err - I said  Silver = 141mph which was exacty right to the spedo

Damn and blast, so you did  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2017, 08:18:48 pm »

I reckon it is.

I've read before that it is against laws/regulations for speedos to read less than the actual speed and therefore manufacturers 'play it safe'.

When my car speedo reads 30mph the sat-nav reads 28mph.

At 40 on the speedo it is 37mph on the sat-nav.

At 70 on the speedo it is 65mph on the sat-nav.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2017, 09:19:32 pm by YamFazFan »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2017, 09:13:11 pm »

I reckon it is.

I've read before that it is against laws/regulations for speedos to read less than the actual speed and therefore manufacturers 'play it safe'.

At 40 on the speedo it is 37mph.

At 70 on the speedo it is 65mph.

On that way of thinking though if you get nicked for speeding how do you defend yourself correctly?
You can't really argue the fact that your speedo is technically out of calibration otherwise you'd probably get nicked for that as well?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2017, 05:32:56 am »

I reckon it is.

Just been having a look about and sure enough it mentions everywhere that manufacturers deliberately alter the speedo by "approximately" 8% to allow for certain things, ie: tyre wear, using tyres that started with quite high tread, which would eventually result in the wheel spinning quicker when just above the legal limit as the reading would change from when the tyre was new.
It's done to keep you under the limit by default because of the percentage discrepancy.

So on those maths, we should be getting 150mph, at a push, if the bike was new. I'd imagine that ship has sailed now, due to the age of them though, and wear and tear.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2017, 07:57:30 am »

I reckon it is.

Just been having a look about and sure enough it mentions everywhere that manufacturers deliberately alter the speedo by "approximately" 8% to allow for certain things, ie: tyre wear, using tyres that started with quite high tread, which would eventually result in the wheel spinning quicker when just above the legal limit as the reading would change from when the tyre was new.
It's done to keep you under the limit by default because of the percentage discrepancy.

So on those maths, we should be getting 150mph, at a push, if the bike was new. I'd imagine that ship has sailed now, due to the age of them though, and wear and tear.
So David Ike is right when he says we are all living in an altered reality, what else is not real.