Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:37 pm

Author Topic: Never heard my fan on.... ever  (Read 2538 times)

samdf

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Never heard my fan on.... ever
« on: 25 May 2017, 02:56:33 pm »
Hi guys,

New to the forum but owned fazers for about a year or so now.
[size=78%]I live in Guernsey and generally it's a stop start island with a max speed of 35mph (ahem).[/size]

No matter how i ride my fazers (I own two), and even if i leave them running on the drive way, neither will ever turn the fan on. One has a digital cluster and the other has the standard cluster, both never really indicate either is that hot either (max 95c on digital), but I would have expected to hear it at some point.

Do they commonly fail? is there an easy check?

thanks all

Joolz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Never heard my fan on.... ever
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2017, 03:29:09 pm »
The only times mine has come on are when I've deliberately got it hot, by holding the throttle slightly open when the bikes on the stand in neutral. never in normal use.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2017, 03:43:26 pm »
It has too be pretty hot and in traffic until the fan cuts in, on a warm day like today it should cut in if left to idle long enough.

Test the fan to see if it's working, if it is test the thermo switch.   
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2017, 05:51:57 pm »
Have a little forum search because we had a chat about exactly that subject a couple of weeks ago
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2017, 08:28:39 pm »
water cooled with cooling fins they do not get hot unless in very warm weather stuck in traffic

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2017, 11:08:10 pm »
water cooled with cooling fins they do not get hot unless in very warm weather stuck in traffic
The fins are faux air-cool retro cool although they may play a part they are not for cooling

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 09:07:13 am »
The only time mine has ever come on was when I was balancing the carbs one summer's day.  I had my head in the engine trying to locate the adjustment screw and just as I found it and turned it the fan kicked in, I waddled off back indoors to change my pants after that  :rollin  When I happened I was like "SHIT, what have I just touched?" LOL
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2017, 09:41:30 am »
Have NEVER had the fan cut in on the 3 FZS Fazer 600s I have owned. The one on the FZS 1000 would always come on soon after start up & idling but would cut out again once 1st.gear selected-I believe this is normal for the thou? It also regularly operated if stationary in traffic when air temp high & then already hot in my riding gear would experience a wash of warm air from the motor just to add to the fun! I do miss that thou but must admit it scared me a couple of times since it would accelerate faster than my brain could register :lol (Ivanised full fat ex Mick H)

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2017, 09:05:14 pm »
Had mine come on today when it hit 100 deg. Boy does it push some heat onto the back of your legs.
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

daviee

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2017, 09:03:57 pm »
The fins are faux air-cool retro cool although they may play a part they are not for cooling

anything that is alloy and on the head will help cool it so yes they do cool the head and who said they are not ????

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2017, 10:05:18 pm »
Yep, ditto my fan would hardly ever come on, just the occasional super hot day when my commute into London was particularly hard going, narly and took longer than normal it would pop on for perhaps the last 5 mins of my journey. However, this last week, it's been on every day... Hmm, so checked everything out this weekend, popped up tank and found it low on coolant! Shit... that'll be why.

So, yeah if you do hear your fan - check your coolant levels!

Any why oh why, the coolant overflow tank by rear shock, do they put high and low markers on it when you can't see shit through it to see where the fluid is?!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2017, 10:08:06 pm »

anything that is alloy and on the head will help cool it so yes they do cool the head and who said they are not ????
Can not remember now but the bike was described as having retro cool air cool fins. Have a look at them, to do any good they need to be all the way around and yet hey are only on the side for all to see saying look at me I am retro cool, and they are too thick too also not deep enough because they hit the water cooling jacket on the water cooled bike. They may well have a cooling effect but they are not there to cool - all - be - it that they are there too look cool  8)     

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2017, 10:57:18 pm »
In over 87000 miles on my 600 I have only heard the fan come on three time, first time was when balancing the carbs on a very hot summers day, second time was in 30C heat in Plymouth waiting to board the ferry, third time was in Spain in 35C heat when stopped at traffice lights.

samdf

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2017, 09:17:30 am »
Fair enough, cheers guys. I did actually pop off the fan and throw it on a battery to check it wasn't siezed and all good, guess one day it might be needed.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2017, 02:55:44 pm »

Sounds like you lot have "Got no fans"  :rollin :rollin :rollin

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2017, 03:04:32 pm »
Since 2009, fan had only turned on once during riding - when I was riding in Belgrade hot summer traffic in rush hour - 5 km/h, without a possibility to filter, after an 80 km spirited ride to Belgrade.

Apart from that, I let it idle every spring, just to test if the fan comes on and if it works. Takes a hot sunny day and some throttle to get it working in a reasonable time, even when idling.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2017, 03:05:10 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 June 2017, 09:45:17 pm »
Got a chance to get fan on today! Tried to find something rattling >=/
So I filmed it for you guys  :D