Date: 25-04-24  Time: 11:00 am

Author Topic: Replace rear brake disc with wheel still on?  (Read 1421 times)

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Replace rear brake disc with wheel still on?
« on: 22 May 2017, 11:17:58 am »
Is it possible to replace my rear brake disc with the rear wheel still in situ? I don't think the bolts will be hard to get off as they were taken off not long ago to swap a disc which turned out to be slightly warped. Now I have a brand new disc and I just want to unbolt the old one with wheel still on but axle pulled out a bit to allow it to slide off and slide new one in place and bolt it all back up. Is that possible?

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Replace rear brake disc with wheel still on?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 12:00:07 pm »
It's three bolts (wheel nut and caliper) and you have easy access. I can't imagine it would be easier to fickle around trying to do it with the wheel in place.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 12:21:40 pm »

I guess you’re trying to avoid the slightly awkward job of persuading the wheel back in without a spacer getting nudged out, but think you’ll just make task harder.
If you can find a thin plank of wood about 2ft long (a bit of old floorboard or timber cladding is ideal) you can place that under the back in line with the bike. Roll the wheel on until it’s in position, then as you raise the end of the plank it’s easy to get the spacers to stay with the wheel as  you squeeze it into the swingarm. Once it’s roughly in line with the axle holes you can chock the plank to that level and you’ve two hands free to wriggle the axle in.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2017, 12:54:09 pm »
You would need to get the spacer out on the disk side to get the old disk out and the new disk in so would have to drop the wheel centre below the swinging arm which means having to totally remove the axle bolt so the only thing you would be saving is taking chain off rear sprocket and putting it back on again

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2017, 05:12:17 pm »
is this a wind
up ???

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2017, 05:53:06 pm »

I guess you’re trying to avoid the slightly awkward job of persuading the wheel back in without a spacer getting nudged out, but think you’ll just make task harder.
If you can find a thin plank of wood about 2ft long (a bit of old floorboard or timber cladding is ideal) you can place that under the back in line with the bike. Roll the wheel on until it’s in position, then as you raise the end of the plank it’s easy to get the spacers to stay with the wheel as  you squeeze it into the swingarm. Once it’s roughly in line with the axle holes you can chock the plank to that level and you’ve two hands free to wriggle the axle in.
Yes, working alone and not got a paddock stand so i was hoping to avoid taking the chain off and having trouble with the spacers like i did before. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2017, 06:34:29 pm »
Is it possible to replace my rear brake disc with the rear wheel still in situ? I don't think the bolts will be hard to get off as they were taken off not long ago to swap a disc which turned out to be slightly warped. Now I have a brand new disc and I just want to unbolt the old one with wheel still on but axle pulled out a bit to allow it to slide off and slide new one in place and bolt it all back up. Is that possible?

Why?  You can remove/replace the rear wheel in a few minutes, with just the centre stand.

Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2017, 07:00:10 pm »
Unless you are VERY lucky, you'll probably have fun & games undoing the disc bolts, so will need the wheel off regardless.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2017, 07:08:05 pm »
leaving the wheel in with someone sat on the bike standing on the brake pedal may help you loosen the bolts butyour better off dropping the wheel out to finish the job.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2017, 07:11:47 pm »
The disc simply isn't coming off unless you remove wheel,the job is pish easy to remove replace rear wheel why do people say it's hard ? as suggested using a short plank of wood to assist lifting it up.

I always start axel into swingarm before the wheel then into brake plate ready,instal the wheel chain on with its big spacer it'll hold in situ,its the smaller brake side that's fiddly but if it's all ready to go fit lift up with wood begin to tap axel once lined up job done 🙂
Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)