Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:30 am

Author Topic: Gen2 rear wheel  (Read 640 times)

fazfalco

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - aprilia sl1000
    • View Profile
Gen2 rear wheel
« on: 21 May 2017, 10:25:12 pm »
Don't know if this has been mentioned before!
My son bought a 2007 Fz1 last year from a dealer, he has done around 2500 miles on it, he asked me to check chain adjustment, found rear wheel axle nut was not very tight, thought that maybe dealer had not torqued it up correctly, so adjusted chain, wheel felt a little bit stiff to turn, but put this down to the chain being a bit stiff as bike had not been used for a while, lubed chain, couldn't feel any play in bearings so advised him to do about 10 miles then stop and check that everything felt okay.
This he did and then went for a decent ride out, called me later as bike was making noise from rear end, had to be recovered, AA man did a few checks found axle nut loose, ( i had torqued it up 150nm ) also loads of play in wheel bearings.
On inspection i found sprocket carrier bearing had broken up, when wheel was removed found that the long spacer tube between the bearings was missing! and the inner tube that runs inside the needle roller bearing was floating about inside the wheel hub.
Not sure how long tube was lost but as it can slide out through needle roller bearing, maybe during tyre change? We had never had wheel out.
Reason for post is to make people aware that this can happen and axle nut tightens up as normal! Could have had a different ending, as son only noticed noise from rear end as following a tractor for a while with visor up.
Big thanks to Marksman Bearings for sorting out replacements, very helpful company. Had to get missing spacer from Fowlers.