Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:12 am

Author Topic: oil consumption  (Read 1770 times)

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
oil consumption
« on: 19 May 2017, 09:28:12 pm »
Been reading that owners "top up " their engine oil between recommended oil changes. I've never topped mine up in between changes, didn't think I had to.I could never see my oil level in the engine cover window, even when it had it's last service by the garage in September, the window seems too discolored to tell. I watched them change the oil and filter though so I know it was done. The oil light has never come on. The bike runs fine. Should I be worried about topping it up?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: oil consumption
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 10:10:26 pm »
Only on my most recent oil change the window decided to become useless.
I've never topped up oil between 4000 mile oil changes, but now i have to go by trust so changed the filter and put 2.7 litres in.
I've no doubt it will be totally fine, but worst scenario the oil light would come on anyway, but that would be due to a leak rather than burning it, so i'd know something was wrong beforehand anyway.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 10:21:09 pm »
"Cough" - egg cup

Apart from once I have never had to top up but -low milage disclaimer, the time I have to top up I put down to halfords oil going prematurely thin and under fast (black fazer) acceleration the oil go swilled away from the sensor.   

I changed my oil very carefully the correct Darrsi method and after leaving the bike for 2 weeks the oil has gone past the sight glass, could the garage have put very slightly too much in and sent it over the sight glass, when you cant see anything its very difficult to see anything  :o try getting some one to put it on the side stand whilst you look 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 10:56:16 pm »
"Cough" - egg cup

Apart from once I have never had to top up but -low milage disclaimer, the time I have to top up I put down to halfords oil going prematurely thin and under fast (black fazer) acceleration the oil go swilled away from the sensor.   

I changed my oil very carefully the correct Darrsi method and after leaving the bike for 2 weeks the oil has gone past the sight glass, could the garage have put very slightly too much in and sent it over the sight glass, when you cant see anything its very difficult to see anything  :o try getting some one to put it on the side stand whilst you look

Sidestand's no good at all, it needs to be on level ground on the centre stand to 'see' what's going on, if you still have that privilege.
Book says change every 6000 miles  so my 4000 change shouldn't be an issue, barring any leakages.

Wookee

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2017, 08:53:49 am »
I change my oil and filter every 4000 miles and have never had to top it up in between (63k on the clock and about 8k a year)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2017, 10:28:26 am »
"Cough" - egg cup

On centre stand, start engine for a minute, then switch off and let it calm down for another minute, and you really want it to settle at about the three quarter level between the lower/upper engine case markings. 

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2017, 10:33:50 am »
"Cough" - egg cup

Could the garage have put very slightly too much in and sent it over the sight glass, when you cant see anything its very difficult to see anything  :o try getting some one to put it on the side stand whilst you look
What I mean is that if it is over the mark you can not see anything so whilst you get on your hands and knees get someone to tip the bike over and you can then see if what you are looking at is just oil that has gone over the sight glass rather than a fooked up sight glass
Sidestand's no good at all, it needs to be on level ground on the centre stand to 'see' what's going on, if you still have that privilege.
Book says change every 6000 miles  so my 4000 change shouldn't be an issue, barring any leakages.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2017, 10:35:35 am by fazersharp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2017, 10:48:36 am »
"Cough" - egg cup

Could the garage have put very slightly too much in and sent it over the sight glass, when you cant see anything its very difficult to see anything  :o try getting some one to put it on the side stand whilst you look
What I mean is that if it is over the mark you can not see anything so whilst you get on your hands and knees get someone to tip the bike over and you can then see if what you are looking at is just oil that has gone over the sight glass rather than a fooked up sight glass

Oh okay, i see what you mean now.
If in real doubt, simply empty it, then shove it back in.
With the filter untouched, i'd be inclined to start with 2.5 litres then go through the motions as described.

As i've said before on here, when i first did an oil change on my bike i pulled 4 litres out of it, so it's one of those easy jobs you should really do yourself for peace of mind.....and wallet.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2017, 11:02:36 am »
With the filter untouched, i'd be inclined to start with 2.5 litres then go through the motions as described.
 Surely you don't need to empty it, just dropping a litre or so out will let you see if it's overfilled won't it?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2017, 11:10:02 am »
 Surely you don't need to empty it, just dropping a litre or so out will let you see if it's overfilled won't it?

If your glass is clear.
That was my point, mine has suddenly decided to permanently look empty, it's very weird.
Even using a torch, and after emptying and refilling a couple of times it still looks exactly the same, which at first was a bit disconcerting, but then after a minutes thought realized that as long as i have the recommended amount in, paired with the fact i never need to top up, then it will be fine for the next 4000 miles regardless.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2017, 11:25:09 am »

If your glass is clear.
That was my point, mine has suddenly decided to permanently look empty, it's very weird.
Even using a torch, and after emptying and refilling a couple of times it still looks exactly the same, which at first was a bit disconcerting, but then after a minutes thought realized that as long as i have the recommended amount in, paired with the fact i never need to top up, then it will be fine for the next 4000 miles regardless.
How has that happened - could it be that 99p oil you use  :pokefun
By permanently looking empty what do you mean because when I change the oil and its not topped up fully yet, I can see shiny metal in the background behind the window, and can still see it through the new oil until I have run it a bit and then the oil gos a little opaque
« Last Edit: 20 May 2017, 11:26:11 am by fazersharp »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2017, 12:04:45 pm »

If your glass is clear.
How has that happened - could it be that 99p oil you use  :pokefun
By permanently looking empty what do you mean because when I change the oil and its not topped up fully yet, I can see shiny metal in the background behind the window, and can still see it through the new oil until I have run it a bit and then the oil gos a little opaque

Dunno why or how it's happened?
I just couldn't see anything going on, i even deliberately poured too much in with the torch aimed at the glass to wait and see a gauge, but nothing happened at all?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2017, 12:27:01 pm »
you could take the cover off and give the glass a clean. it's probably just stained on the inside

daviee

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2017, 06:06:48 pm »
the oil light is a level sensor not a pressure sensor so if your light comes on you need to top up the window is their so its not over filled but if you measure properly then i wouldnt worry if you can see it or not the main thing is the oil light works

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2017, 06:19:25 pm »
you could take the cover off and give the glass a clean. it's probably just stained on the inside

:agree

daviee

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2017, 06:57:00 pm »
is the window not on the crank case ???

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile