Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:02 pm

Author Topic: Keeping bike kit in garage.  (Read 3318 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Keeping bike kit in garage.
« on: 19 May 2017, 04:06:12 pm »
I am thinking about keeping my bike kit in the garage.
It is one of those precast concrete ones and what concerns me is condensation and damp.
Does anyone else keep their kit in a garage and if so what do you store it in?
Bear in mind I am a Scot living in Yorkshire, being careful with my money is not a trait it is a vocation. :)

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping bike kit in garage.
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 04:15:54 pm »
My helmet and gloves live in the garage along with the bike. Jacket etc in the house. No issues with damp or mould so far but it is a semi detached garage with one wall adjoining the house and the other our neighbour's garage.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 04:56:31 pm »
Bike and kit all in stone built garage with concrete floor. No leather kit, all textile. No problems here.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 05:15:44 pm »
I'd be more concerned with spiders and bugs getting in them 😅 Last thing I'd want is something crawling across the inside of my visor while I on the dual carriageway 😲 lol

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2017, 07:40:15 am »
I wouldn't worry too much fella. My bicycle clothing lives in the shed- occasionally I dress as a mamil (middle aged man in lycra).
I've not had any probs. As long as they're off the floor they should be ok. I've put screw hooks into the timber frame to store stuff

http://www.wilko.com/invt/0344078

Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2017, 08:25:40 am »
I had a giant moth scurry across the inside of my visor a month ago.  Looked like mothra! Worse of it was when I whipped....i mean mascularly removed the lid I couldn't find it.
Intentionally left blank

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2017, 09:54:44 am »
One of the worst garages to store anything in is a garage with an corrugated asbestos roof,  those bad boys sweat and drip condensation so badly my Fazer ended up with mould spots all over it a few years ago, even thought it was covered by a cotton sheet (winter storage) The sheet was almost wet one day when I went in to check the bike.
My Father-in- Laws dark green Astra got white ring marks all over the bonnet, roof and trunk lid from the asbestos roof in his garage, his car was in there for about 4 months after he had a hip operation. He had the car professionally buffed but the marks did not completely come out, it was as if something had eaten into the gel coat.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2017, 10:14:15 am »
Thanks for all the answers guys but  tommys post reminded of something I had completely forgot and that is the garage does have a corrugated asbestos roof so I might be best getting that sorted out first which will probably costly to do to get it done properly.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2017, 10:56:32 am »
 I vaguely remember in one of the bike mags a few years ago they were doing an article on bike theft and they advised not to keep riding gear in the garage, cos if they take the bike the kit will go too. Just a thought.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2017, 10:59:55 am »
I'd be more concerned with spiders and bugs getting in them 😅 Last thing I'd want is something crawling across the inside of my visor while I on the dual carriageway 😲 lol

Rude, Crude and Tattooed -------------- and scared of spiders

I have one living in my garage that I call Philip, I have been feeding him for about 2 years to see how big he will grow.
In all reality Philip is most likely Philippa but I dont know where to look.
Here he/she is taken 2 years ago and she is bigger now

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2017, 11:15:40 am »
Here we go I have just taken some new pictures of philip next to my Fazer key for size

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2017, 11:37:18 am »
Wow, Fazersharp, that's a real beauty.  :thumbup

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2017, 06:19:12 pm »

Rude, Crude and Tattooed -------------- and scared of spiders

I have one living in my garage that I call Philip, I have been feeding him for about 2 years to see how big he will grow.
In all reality Philip is most likely Philippa but I dont know where to look.
Here he/she is taken 2 years ago and she is bigger now

You really not wrong there mate haha not keen on them millipede things either 😨 I'm more of a snake/reptile person, I had a 21ft reticulated python for most of my life and I'd happily cuddle up with that over touching a 2 inch spider haha

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2017, 07:21:36 pm »
Beware of these bad boys known as the Noble False Widow Spiders, now in UK and Ireland. They do bite and hurt, more common in both the UK and Ireland now due to the milder winters. There has been a few cases of bacterial infections leading to gangerane linked to them.

http://www.aphotofauna.com/images/spiders/spider_steatoda_nobilis_22-07-13_1.jpg

I was bitten by a common house spider about 20 years ago, he had build a web in my jacket sleeve which I left in the garage for a month. He had reason to bite because I had squashed him between my arm and the jacket sleeve. After riding a mile from home had a pain like a wasp sting in my arm, stopped and removed the jacket to see the squashed remains stuck to my arm. Area of my arm still tingles now and then after 20 years.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2017, 08:02:30 pm »

Wow, Fazersharp, that's a real beauty.  :thumbup
You're not wrong, very pretty. He/she looks lonely though, maybe it needs a mate. You could have lots of little Phillipettes running around :lol

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2017, 11:12:57 pm »
One of the worst garages to store anything in is a garage with an corrugated asbestos roof,  those bad boys sweat and drip condensation so badly my Fazer ended up with mould spots all over it a few years ago, even thought it was covered by a cotton sheet (winter storage) The sheet was almost wet one day when I went in to check the bike.
My Father-in- Laws dark green Astra got white ring marks all over the bonnet, roof and trunk lid from the asbestos roof in his garage, his car was in there for about 4 months after he had a hip operation. He had the car professionally buffed but the marks did not completely come out, it was as if something had eaten into the gel coat.

Why not Paint the inside of the roof panels with Gloss to seal in the Asbestos dust, make it brighter too if white gloss is used.
Personally i use a Dehumidifier 24/7 during winter mths, (£25 off ebay) keeps my concrete garage snuff dry..

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2017, 09:04:40 am »
I've got a single brick garage with a ply and felt roof.  It's separate from the house.  I keep my bike gear in there in the warmer months but during winter it all goes in the loft.  I do get mould on textiles if I leave them in there over the winter.  I also try to avoid putting the bike in there if she's wet because she doesn't dry out in there over winter.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2017, 09:11:20 am »
I had a garage with an asbestos roof for a few years and kept both cars and bikes in there. Never had a problem with water/condensation/white spots despite it being bloody cold in there.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2017, 11:16:51 am »
What causes it is the sudden change of temperature if its been a warmer winter day and then suddenly get cold and that causes condensation, like the early summer months when the evening coms and everything can get damp, especially cold surfaces. The asbestos roof is very thin and the cold travels through to the warmer underside causing the wet, I would add a layer of insulation 2 or 3 inches under the roof leaving breathing space between the insulation and the roof, 25mm kingspan would do the job with minimal support needed.
I wouldnt disturb touch or paint the asbestos - leave it be.