Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:15 pm

Author Topic: Hello from Northern Ireland  (Read 1486 times)

59viper

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - 59 velocette viper
    • View Profile
Hello from Northern Ireland
« on: 16 May 2017, 05:00:14 pm »
 :rolleyes  Errm hello, just bought a fifty thousand mile FZS600 year 99. I got the usual sales speak of very good cond ect and it all turned out to be crap, nice looker but i now need some advice. First the tyres are twelve years old and the rear as bald as a coot, any advice on good sticky rubber for this model? also does any other rear disc fit this model as i am finding new replacements very expensive. Fork seals are buggered as is all the pads and the carb to head rubbers are shot, fun isn't it? Anyway, as for tyres i want grip over wear so any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2017, 09:11:27 am »
Welcome to the "font of all Fazer knowledge". Yes the expression "good condition" can be very misleading. Hope you didnt pay too much for what is after all an 18 year old bike?
As for tyres my choice is MichelinPR3s-the later PR4 version isnt made in a size to fit the front wheel & although some owners "mix & match" tyre types I always use the same type/make F & R. There are good tyre deals out there to be had but if buying online dont forget to factor in cost of fitting,balancing etc.Get rid of those old tyres fast!
The mileage on your bike shouldnt be a problem engine wise provided it has had oil & filter changes.Use any good 10W-40 semi-synthetic brand.
As regards fork seals, brake discs,brake pads & carb rubbers etc have a look at reputable suppliers websites like M&P Swansea, Wemoto,etc.  ebay is a useful starting point.
I would seriously consider replacing all the brake rubber hoses & master cylinder internals also the brake piston seals-no good going if you cant stop!!
Others will no doubt provide help & information-this is the best bike forum Ive been on.
A Fazer in good condition is a thing of joy so just be prepared for a bit of credit card bashing! Good luck & put a pic up on here when you can.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2017, 11:44:04 am »
Welcome to the  :faz mad house.

Welcome to the "font of all Fazer knowledge". Yes the expression "good condition" can be very misleading. Hope you didnt pay too much for what is after all an 18 year old bike?
As for tyres my choice is MichelinPR3s-the later PR4 version isnt made in a size to fit the front wheel & although some owners "mix & match" tyre types I always use the same type/make F & R. There are good tyre deals out there to be had but if buying online dont forget to factor in cost of fitting,balancing etc.Get rid of those old tyres fast!
The mileage on your bike shouldnt be a problem engine wise provided it has had oil & filter changes.Use any good 10W-40 semi-synthetic brand.
As regards fork seals, brake discs,brake pads & carb rubbers etc have a look at reputable suppliers websites like M&P Swansea, Wemoto,etc.  ebay is a useful starting point.
I would seriously consider replacing all the brake rubber hoses & master cylinder internals also the brake piston seals-no good going if you cant stop!!
Others will no doubt provide help & information-this is the best bike forum Ive been on.
A Fazer in good condition is a thing of joy so just be prepared for a bit of credit card bashing! Good luck & put a pic up on here when you can.

:agree
What he said, the only difference is my prefferance of tyres are Bridgestone Battlax BT023 front and rear as they have a nice balance of grip and slow ware  :thumbup
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

59viper

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - 59 velocette viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2017, 07:18:24 pm »
 :D  Thanks chaps , all above taken on board.