Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:28 pm

Author Topic: Stopped single policeman in a non traffic car  (Read 4092 times)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Stopped single policeman in a non traffic car
« on: 10 May 2017, 06:56:54 pm »
Got stopped today by a non traffic police car, I overtook a P driver on a long straight 30mph road who was doing about 25 mph and she was to be honest appalling, I'd followed her round a roundabout and she virtually right angled it at about 10 mph.As luck would have it there was a police car (non traffic) a bit behind me, cue blue lights followed by 'I could do you for 47mph and careless driving' but he gave me a lecture instead which was fair enough, seemed like a decent bloke, I'm sure I didn't do 47 and it was a safe overtake. Question is can a single, non traffic car policeman do you for speeding or anything else for that matter, I thought if there was no video evidence there had to be 2 witnesses.
Ironically further down the road I was stuck, in a 60 limit, behind the 'P' driver doing about 35mph for about 5 miles along with, you guessed it, the police car.
It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Stopped single policeman in a non traffic car
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2017, 07:38:54 pm »
Short answer - yes

Slightly longer answer, they may not be able to do you for a specific speed due to non-calibrated speedos in non traffic cars but can do you for exceeding the limit.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2017, 08:05:23 pm »
That's news to me.

I'd just deny all, he can't do anything.  Even with two of them, there's no evidence.  At least that's how it is north of the border.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2017, 08:05:59 pm by VNA »

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2017, 08:28:39 pm »
Used to be the case that you had to be clocked over a certain distance, can't remember how far, but my indiscretion was momentary'ish. Bit more vigilance next time I think. Peed me off a bit him slagging my riding as I've passed the IAM test and done a few riding courses with the police ( these were brilliant) but obviously I thought better of pointing this out, observation skills need a bit of work ;)

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2017, 08:30:56 pm »
Decided against the 'Have you got nowt better to do' statement  as well

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2017, 08:42:01 pm »
I might of asked politely what was actually wrong with the overtake, if you think it was a fair overtake which ticked all the IAM boxes.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2017, 09:17:56 pm »
a couple of points

you on the bike or in a car, if a bike then how were you stuck behind the learner for 5 miles (remember stepping stones?)

if he's non traffic (i.e. the car, as you don't know if he's ever worked traffic and knows the subtleties of traffic law) then stand your ground and get him to explain why it was wrong to do what you did?

if he had no speed gun type apparatus in the car then how could he say you were doing a certain speed let alone careless driving?

if he wasn't ex traffic then he probably doesn't even know about IAM or RoSPA, I got talking to two in a plod car who were clueless and queried why I'd want to even join RoSPA and do road safety

The days of the Courts taking a Coppers word over Joe Public has long gone, a lot of them are liars and Judges see right through them especially after a decent brief has tore them up for arse paper
fire never sleeps

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2017, 09:44:30 pm »
a couple of points

you on the bike or in a car, if a bike then how were you stuck behind the learner for 5 miles (remember stepping stones?)

if he's non traffic (i.e. the car, as you don't know if he's ever worked traffic and knows the subtleties of traffic law) then stand your ground and get him to explain why it was wrong to do what you did?

if he had no speed gun type apparatus in the car then how could he say you were doing a certain speed let alone careless driving?

if he wasn't ex traffic then he probably doesn't even know about IAM or RoSPA, I got talking to two in a plod car who were clueless and queried why I'd want to even join RoSPA and do road safety

The days of the Courts taking a Coppers word over Joe Public has long gone, a lot of them are liars and Judges see right through them especially after a decent brief has tore them up for arse paper
I was on my Fazer 6 and was stuck behind the P driver and the cop car for 5 miles after I was stopped and had set off again on my ride. No way was I going to overtake the policeman that had just pulled me and given me a 'chat'. I haven't been pulled for roughly 15 years made it a bit of an odd feeling, especially if you think you are going to lose your clean licence when I wouldn't trust a lot of people on the road with a dodgem car, including the P driver, which incidentally the observant policeman said was a 'L' driver, obviously didn't point that out either.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2017, 09:48:07 pm »
I don't think it's worth going up against the babylon, they've got long memories. Best keep them sweet, choose your battles wisely. I was chummy with one years ago (well he was married to my sister at the time). If you got stopped for anything- bike, car or otherwise, i.e. drunk, noisy or walking the streets late at night, they would 'attitude test' you. If you weren't courteous and respectful they could always find an excuse to give you grief. Human nature really.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2017, 09:49:31 pm »
When stopped by the police you always have to say the following. They love it and on hearing this they will, 99 times out of 100 let you off.
1. I pay your wages.
2. Ain't you got nuffin better to do, like go and catch some real criminals.
3. Were you bullied at school or sumfink?.
They love all that! It's witty and original. :-P
« Last Edit: 10 May 2017, 09:51:50 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2017, 10:03:07 pm »
When stopped by the police you always have to say the following. They love it and on hearing this they will, 99 times out of 100 let you off.
1. I pay your wages.
2. Ain't you got nuffin better to do, like go and catch some real criminals.
3. Were you bullied at school or sumfink?.
They love all that! It's witty and original. :-P
I'll remember these for the next time and also to ask for Inspector Regan cos he's a propa coppa while checking my phone for texts.

Bottom line is I should have left 'Dangerous Doris' or whatever her name was to her motor car meanderings and hung back.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2017, 01:21:15 am »
Peed me off a bit him slagging my riding as I've passed the IAM test and done a few riding courses with the police ( these were brilliant) but obviously I thought better of pointing this out, observation skills need a bit of work ;)

Sensible, given that, if they know you've done Advanced Training, that lowers the level for "Careless driving", since you'd be expected to be above the standard of Joe Public!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2017, 01:24:32 am »
I might of asked politely what was actually wrong with the overtake, if you think it was a fair overtake which ticked all the IAM boxes.

Current IAM (well, actually "IAM Roadsmart" now) guidance says roughly:"You should not start an overtake which would require you to exceed the speed limit. If circumstances change during the overtake (eg the vehicle you're passing speeding up) then you should react in the way that would be safest for you and other road users".

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2017, 07:17:30 am »
That's news to me.

I'd just deny all, he can't do anything.  Even with two of them, there's no evidence.  At least that's how it is north of the border.

:agree

A defence liar would certainly argue the fact there really is no evidence whatsoever, and it's your word against his.
It literally would be a case of "Prove it, otherwise see ya later and stop wasting my time and go get a life!"
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2017, 09:51:21 am »
with darsii

the days of judges taking the word of a cop as gospel are long gone, a lot of cops tell lies and with no evidence a court would laugh it out
fire never sleeps

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2017, 10:57:23 am »
The police have a speedo. its just not calibrated so accuracy is arguable. They can still say you were travelling in excess of 40mph in a 30mph limit and it would be taken as sufficient evidence that you were going too fast.
IF they were to say you were going 35 in a 30 then it could be argued.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2017, 11:10:10 am »
Just maybe it was an unmarked traffic car. Carl passed the "attitude" test and just got a friendly talking to!

I remember a few years ago, one broke down outside my shop. Had a chat with the driver and it turned out there was so much electronic equipment in there it was constantly flattening the battery.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2017, 12:54:06 pm »
If you were trundling along at 25 with a cop car a few cars behind - he to going 25 how can he say you were over going 30 when you over took, - he cant unless it was clear you nailed it past the p driver. He may argue careless driving (his opinion ).
« Last Edit: 11 May 2017, 05:36:40 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2017, 06:11:37 pm »
No cars behind me apart from him well back, none coming the other way, not sat on the tail of the car, (only a **** hits the car in front, as my IAM instructor bloke used to say, his version of the 2 second rule) no R.H. junction to worry about. A proper 'sweeping' overtake not pulling directly in front of the car (really pees me off when people do this then slow down). May (!) have exceeded the limit during the overtake (bikes are fast) but backed off when on my side of the road. The town I was travelling through is a bit, well I wouldn't live there, had a few police cars kicking about so I think I was wrong place wrong time,  and I wasn't done just talked at so no harm done really; ironical that he, along with a line of traffic, was stuck behind the car soon after.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2017, 09:50:02 pm »
  A pal of mine was on his way to work.  Leaving town, just before the national speed limit sign he passed three vehicles, the front one a police van.  Police van put on music and lights.  My pal thought, foc this, and nailed it (CBR600RR with tiny number plate). 

It’s only a few miles to his work, major employer, in the middle of nowhere.  Police took a guess at where he might have headed and guessed right.  I turned up to find pal arguing with one very angry looking cop and one other cop who looked slightly embarrassed.

My pal denied all, and said he never at any point exceeded 60mph (he nailed it).  Told them it must have been some other biker.

Angry policeman contacted traffic division.  They advised him to forget it and check over his bike to see if anything was amiss.   They issued notice for small number plate.

I got pulled by local cops a couple of years back.  Inner city Dual carriageway, coming up to light, they accused me of undertaking them and pulling across then at a red light.  I was polite, but I asked them if they were serious, and told them I did nothing wrong, and I certainly did not perform an undertake as I was slowing down and I simply took the best position at the lights.  They were a bit frustrated, checked my bike, ran checks etc, then sent me on my way.

Did get caught by Dunoon police.  Bleedin timer unit in car.  Pissed off as I should have clocked them.  Annoyed as they timed me over ¾ mile, just as I got suspicious of the car that had just previously slowed down and was holding me up, which was now following me at high speed, well they hit the music and lights.  3 points and 100 quid fine.  Prats with nothing better to do than chase their bleedin KPI’s.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2017, 09:51:16 pm by VNA »

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2017, 10:58:33 pm »
technically you did undertake mate, the moment you pulled across them

if someone is doing 60 in lane 3 of the motorway and you move from 3 to 2 and continue past them at 70 its not an undertake if you stay in lane 2, its only an undertake once you pass them and move back to lane 3 (from a traffic bike cop who I know)
sounds like yours were being a bit arsey but they eventually got you :lol
fire never sleeps

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
« Last Edit: 12 May 2017, 07:26:24 pm by VNA »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2017, 05:46:18 pm »
technically you did undertake mate, the moment you pulled across them

You gonna issue me a ticket?
Who cares.
The point is, that unless I agree with them and state I am guilty, there is nothing they can do, other than check my license and my bike etc.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2017, 07:00:44 pm »
If you are on your C90 you can always outrun them :) . Not much catches the. 'Mighty Ninety'. Had a C70 myself back in the day, 90 was just too brutal for me at the time.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2017, 07:32:34 pm »
Funny thing is I got pulled a few times on my C90 :lol

One time they were getting a bit smart wi me.  I was still sitting on the bike when they asked the registration number, I leaned forward and read it off the front number plate nice and slow for them - G        S       D       7       7        7       N.
That got me my first breathalyser test.