Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:00 pm

Author Topic: Stopped single policeman in a non traffic car  (Read 4163 times)

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Stopped single policeman in a non traffic car
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2017, 01:53:19 pm »
I might of asked politely what was actually wrong with the overtake, if you think it was a fair overtake which ticked all the IAM boxes.

Current IAM (well, actually "IAM Roadsmart" now) guidance says roughly:"You should not start an overtake which would require you to exceed the speed limit. If circumstances change during the overtake (eg the vehicle you're passing speeding up) then you should react in the way that would be safest for you and other road users".

:agree

If you where speeding passed the P driver then you were in the wrong, but if she was doing 25 and it was safe to do so and you had the space you could have easily overtaken her at 30.  The copper can't say what speed you was doing if he didn't have some kind of instrument or was in a position to follow you for the given distance to work out distance v time of measured distance (white squares painted on roads) it would be hie judgement and wouldn't stand in court.  My guess is you didn't do a nice copy book over take and there wasn't sufficient time/distance to over take without excessive speed.

When you hit the 60 and she was doing 25 you could have just over taken within the limit when it was safe to do so.

Oh doing 25 in a 30 or 60 isn't dangerous, I grant you it's annoying but it not dangerous on the other hand overtaking in 30's where there's insufficient distance is, that's why you got pulled matey.  Suck it up and don't do it again  :D ;) :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Later

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2017, 02:47:18 pm »
I'd argue doing 25 or 30 in a 60 is dangerous, hence we have mandatory speed limits too

try doing them speeds on an advanced test and you'd be pulled over straight away by the examiner and asked WTF are you playing at before being failed 

try doing 50 on a motorway in lane 1 and watch how many vehicles approach you really fast when only doing 70 and then have to switch lanes, get upto speed
fire never sleeps

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 May 2017, 03:47:37 pm »
I'd argue doing 25 or 30 in a 60 is dangerous, hence we have mandatory speed limits too

These are maximum speed limits and you can over take when it's safe to do so, it's often not safe to do the maximum permitted speed due to road conditions. This was one of them.
try doing them speeds on an advanced test and you'd be pulled over straight away by the examiner and asked WTF are you playing at before being failed
He wasn't on a advanced course and this was a P driver, if you'd had done the same on an advanced test you'd have failed

try doing 50 on a motorway in lane 1 and watch how many vehicles approach you really fast when only doing 70 and then have to switch lanes, get upto speed

Yes that's why there's 3 lanes to allow for slower traffic, it's the responsibility of drivers to adjust their speed, move into lane 2 or 3 if safe to do so if not slow down until you can.   The beauty of riding a bike is you're never stuck for long so what's all the hurry?   
Later

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2017, 04:20:19 pm »
Gnasher, I think you're talking bollox mate and I'm not being confrontational her, to answer your points:

every road has a limit and you drive to conditions too, why was this not one of them

whether he's on an advanced test or not, overtaking a P driver is not against the law and you wouldn't fail a test, you'd be more likely to fail it if you sat behind when an overtake was possible....given you don't break the limit. Saying that, I know certain examiners would let it go once instead of you sitting in a potential dangerous position (my examiner gave me the opportunity of following him outside a mile long line of standing traffic, otherwise the first hour of my test would've seen me sat in a queue

unless you're a slow moving wagon or learner on the motorway, most vehicles are surprised by someone doing 50 as its not expected, good observations are key to progressing but most people don't have that skill without taking further training. I still stand by my remarks about doing 50% of the speed in a given speed zone is dangerous if there's no other factors involved and its just down to a slow driver
fire never sleeps

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2017, 04:22:51 pm »
Gnasher, I think you're talking bollox mate and I'm not being confrontational her, to answer your points:

every road has a limit and you drive to conditions too, why was this not one of them

whether he's on an advanced test or not, overtaking a P driver is not against the law and you wouldn't fail a test, you'd be more likely to fail it if you sat behind when an overtake was possible....given you don't break the limit. Saying that, I know certain examiners would let it go once instead of you sitting in a potential dangerous position (my examiner gave me the opportunity of following him outside a mile long line of standing traffic, otherwise the first hour of my test would've seen me sat in a queue

unless you're a slow moving wagon or learner on the motorway, most vehicles are surprised by someone doing 50 as its not expected, good observations are key to progressing but most people don't have that skill without taking further training. I still stand by my remarks about doing 50% of the speed in a given speed zone is dangerous if there's no other factors involved and its just down to a slow driver

Im with you.
It may be called a speed limit, but it is also the recommended speed for any given road, so that all road user can make a safe and progressive journey.

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2017, 05:44:17 pm »

I see really, the only bollocks anywhere here matey is you, just check out the what you've written :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin 

The P driver was doing 25 in a 30 or so it was stated that's 5 mph under the maximum,  this is a P driver, he got stopped as the officer had the opinion he was either doing an excessive speed or over took when it wasn't safe to do so.
whether he's on an advanced test or not, overtaking a P driver is not against the law and you wouldn't fail a test, you'd be more likely to fail it if you sat behind when an overtake was possible....given you don't break the limit.

Sitting behind a P driver at 5 mph under the maximum isn't a dangerous position, over taking at excessive speed or when not safe to do so is, hence he got stopped.  I know loads of advanced instructors who wouldn't give you a second chance on a test, they may while training but not during a test.

Saying that, I know certain examiners would let it go once instead of you sitting in a potential dangerous position (my examiner gave me the opportunity of following him outside a mile long line of standing traffic, otherwise the first hour of my test would've seen me sat in a queue

This is a completely different situation and you were inside the law i.e. not using excessive speed.

u
nless you're a slow moving wagon or learner on the motorway, most vehicles are surprised by someone doing 50 as its not expected, good observations are key to progressing but most people don't have that skill without taking further training. I still stand by my remarks about doing 50% of the speed in a given speed zone is dangerous if there's no other factors involved and its just down to a slow driver

Bollocks utter bollocks, use the other 2 lanes anyone getting
surprised by slower moving traffic on a motorway isn't driving with due care and attention. We drive in this country to the conditions of the road at the time not to some made up rule i.e. you must be doing 50% of the maximum permitted limit what total bollocks is that :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin 

There's also a little thing called due care and attention, over taking P drives in 30mph areas at what the officer deemed 45mph isn't due care that's why he was stopped.   Getting caught out by slower moving traffic on a motorway isn't showing attention.  Driving as you are trying to justify is what causes many RTC's where people are driving too fast and not the the road conditions, making last minute manoeuvres to avoid hitting slower traffic and causing others to brake or manoeuvre into the path of others

Im with you.
It may be called a speed limit, but it is also the recommended speed for any given road, so that all road user can make a safe and progressive journey.

As I said these are maximum not you got the drive at that speed.

I'm going to step away now, I'd like to hear from advanced instructors or traffic police, what's your view?  I know there a good few on here :D
Later

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2017, 11:01:27 am »
we'll have to disagree on a lot of this, you obviously think my comments are hilarious by your use of emoji's. If the cop thought it was that dangerous he'd have booked him but he had no proof. The OP stated there was no oncoming traffic or that it was a dangerous situation. All the cop done was to get a rider to sit back in a 60 coz he was worried about being pulled again......great road safety!

I never said to drive at 50, re read my post....I said people driving at 50 on a motorway are a danger and agree with the points you make there.....undue care and attention is down to piss poor observation but are you telling me that you think people doing 50% of the limit in any area with no other dangerous factors is ok?

limits are limits, not targets but when there are no underlying adverse factors then the max speed should be adhered to, going back to the OP it still appears to me that the cop was a bit over the top but none of us can make the call without being only the original poster stated knows what was what
fire never sleeps

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2017, 11:29:09 am »
50 on a motorway is a danger, obviously not to those people who have 100% perfect observation 100% of the time, but to to 99% who don't.
1-2-3-5mph any speed up to 30 in a 30 zone is not dangerous because they are residential areas and you can expect to turn a corner and meet someone pulling out of their parking spot, what is dangerous is going around a corner at 30 and not expecting it to happen.
25 in a 30 is not dangerous and is only annoying to people who want to go 40   

Many times I feel that going 30 in a 30 is also annoying to a lot of people and when I turn off like to give me a blast of their horn to show their annoyance.

On a motorbike the over taking a 25mph "P" driver, I don't see anything wrong in that so long as the manoeuvre did not take to over-take-ee over 30.
However the same manoeuvre done in a much wider and slower car I would consider it to be dangerous, I think the copper just doesn't like bikes.             
« Last Edit: 15 May 2017, 11:52:41 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.