Date: 25-04-24  Time: 15:40 pm

Author Topic: Suspected Cam/Timing chain chatter  (Read 2748 times)

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Suspected Cam/Timing chain chatter
« Reply #25 on: 24 April 2017, 06:27:29 pm »
Hi again guys. Took it into college and had my tutor spend a day on it with me. There was some cam chatter. But that was down to me not resetting the tensioner properly, so thats a plus. However there is still a knocking soind  and after listening to it through a proper mechanics stethoscope he believes it's either small end or, he thought right at the end of the day, after one last check possibly starter clutch.
It now seems to be a constant knocking in time with engine revs. But if you blip the throttle, when the engine goes back to idle there's a clunk as well as the knocking. Looking for more opinions on that please.
Also, wanted to say thanks for all your help so far, you guys have been fantastic!
Hope we can sort this, I bloody love this bike lol.

daviee

« Reply #26 on: 24 April 2017, 06:47:50 pm »
deffo sounds like a big end if you got gold powder in the oil its 100 percent big end starter clutch dont make a noise clutch basket rattle only happens at idle and if you pull the clutch in it goes away deffo time for a strip down if your very lucky it will only be shells but with you running it allot more than likely their will be damage on the crank you tube rod nock and listen to it bet it sounds the same as yours rod knock is big end failure

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 April 2017, 07:07:28 pm »
deffo sounds like a big end if you got gold powder in the oil its 100 percent big end starter clutch dont make a noise clutch basket rattle only happens at idle and if you pull the clutch in it goes away deffo time for a strip down if your very lucky it will only be shells but with you running it allot more than likely their will be damage on the crank you tube rod nock and listen to it bet it sounds the same as yours rod knock is big end failure

Yep that deep knocking noise means you have con rod movement, could be at either end but most likely a shell bearing at bottom rather than at the piston pin. You'll know if you've damaged the crankshaft, If you've flared up a bearing surface the bike will feel wobbly as well as noisy, I don't think you're there yet but I wouldn't rev her too high.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 April 2017, 08:59:07 pm »
Dave kinda ruled out bottom end because we did an oil pressure test which, he said was absolutely perfect. Says if big end had gone oil pressure would be all over the place.
I've messaged Bikemad about the bottom end he saidnhe has just in case.

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 April 2017, 09:21:23 pm »
Basically if it knocks you've got crank wear riding more will only lead to catastrophic failure & potential damage of more than just the crank !

I always remember a GT250 my friend once looked at 😆 we walked away to say it knocked,rattled & piston slapped was an understatement,I heard a week later it seized & nearly spat the owner off violently locking it's back wheel at speed 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆 lmfao
Stuff everything I've always got my bike :)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24 April 2017, 09:25:09 pm »
I've had a dodgy starter clutch before. I think they go bad from starting the bike with a weak battery too often. Most of the time it was fine, there was no noise from it, then when it acted up it'd give off a deep rumble in time with the engine rpm however on mine if you turned the engine off and turned it back on it'd go back to normal with no noise. Also there was no metal in the oil. Yours sounds a bit worse than that but hopefully the starter clutch is your problem because it'd be a cheap fix. If I was you I'd try the trick with rotating the piston to bdc and push down on it with a screwdriver and feel for movement.

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 April 2017, 09:41:00 pm »
Yeah sounds like a good idea I'll give it a go tomorrow cheers.

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 April 2017, 02:27:17 pm »
Hi guys. I've had another listen to the engine with a stethoscope and am starting to think along the same lines as most have said here, that it's bottom end. It is very difficult to pinpoint though so I've made a video of the noise. Ignore my had waving about towards the end. Thought the exhaust had started to blow, but it was the fan kicking in lol

https://youtu.be/2KM3lGqYIiw

daviee

« Reply #33 on: 25 April 2017, 05:34:49 pm »
100 percent big end stop running it you more than likely killed the crank aswell best bet is a new engine and use that one for spares

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 April 2017, 07:51:44 pm »
 :eek  geeeezzzzz that don't sound good defo strip & rebuild or another engine job !

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 April 2017, 07:25:37 am »
Yeah I'm thinking I'll speak to Dave today and see if I can get in into the workshop & pull the engine for a look. Will try and get tomorrow off work to service & MOT the 125 until I can sort the Fazer

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 May 2017, 07:54:45 pm »
Managed to get the barrels off today & common consensus was correct, big end has gone on 2nd cylinder.

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 May 2017, 08:25:22 am »
OK, update time. Got a new bottom end on the was from Bikemad so we should be back together next weekend. But having trouble finding piston circlips that will be here in time. AJSsutton are saying 7-14 days and can't seem to find specific FZS ones on the bay, any other model/engines that use the same clips?

daviee

« Reply #38 on: 06 May 2017, 07:16:48 pm »
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/90468-12069

they have them in stock and in the link shows what other models use the same

Newb21

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 May 2017, 03:51:46 pm »
Cheers I managed to find some on EBay before I saw this post, which I hadn't though, paid £8 for 4  :'(

bikemad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 May 2017, 08:48:13 pm »
I had some spare circlips you could've had free