Date: 16-04-24  Time: 14:35 pm

Author Topic: Broken exhaust flanges  (Read 1113 times)

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Broken exhaust flanges
« on: 02 May 2017, 09:13:33 am »
I bought a used set of s/s downpipes for my fzs600 and now noticied that the flanges have had welds put in previously and now have further cracks in them from being overtightened, unfortunately one has already snapped off.
Anyone know of any solution? can it be welded?
I've tried finding flanges in 2 parts that can be joined but no luck for the size and can't find a company to make any yet.

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Broken exhaust flanges
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2017, 04:20:22 pm »
Looks like they've been welded but not ground flat afterwards. Personally I'd reweld but make sure there's a flat surface where it meets the rest of the system otherwise the flange is going to be stressed.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2017, 04:29:41 pm »
They're probably the Sandy Bikespares downpipes like I had. The clamps are made from a steel that has all the strength of peanut brittle. Weld them and they'll just snap elsewhere.
I ended up making my own from old Motad clamps.
Some bikes, Kawasaki GPZ900 and GPZ500s use overlapping "C"s, but are too large to suit the Fazer 600.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2017, 05:46:58 pm »
Yeah I saw the overlapping type and someone on here had made their own, which I hoped to do from the original ones but unfortunately the inner diameter of the originals is too large.
I have no idea about welding but I'm guessing from your response it will be ok to have them welded even though they have broken in half and have a few cracks

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2017, 06:22:02 pm »
Yeah I saw the overlapping type and someone on here had made their own, which I hoped to do from the original ones but unfortunately the inner diameter of the originals is too large.
I was puzzled about that for a moment... then remembered the OE pipes are double-skinned which would be why they're a larger diameter. :lol