Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:52 pm

Author Topic: gold plate in sprocket cover????  (Read 2482 times)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
gold plate in sprocket cover????
« on: 28 April 2017, 01:06:44 pm »
just had the sprocket cover off and it was full of crap (no suprise)
so coated in degreaser to do its stuff while doing some other stuff and a goldish plate appeared
anyone know what is under there ?
just wondering as it may now be full of degreaser and might need regreased if important

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: gold plate in sprocket cover????
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2017, 01:37:13 pm »
I'm sure this came up the other week, either on here or the facebook page.
Apparently its just a weight to reduce vibration on that plate and into the clutch and gear mechanisms.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2017, 01:44:38 pm »

Yes, there’s nothing underneath it. It’s called a dampening plate and is supposed to reduce noise. They left it off later years so it can’t have been very effective.
It is useful in a way that Yamaha did not intend: when the sprocket nut loosens itself, the plate prevents it falling off the end of the shaft. This means the earlier Fazers are less likely to suffer serious damage to the thread on the shaft as, with the remains of the nut in the way, the sprocket is not able to move across that far.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2017, 01:50:45 pm »
great - i found it was called a damping plate on a microfiche but had no idea
thats what must have kept my sprocketnut on cause after 90k it still had the original nut
-new 12mm nut bought as it is totally goosed now lol
-cheers guys

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2017, 10:42:06 am »
so coated in degreaser to do its stuff while doing some other stuff and a goldish plate appeared

Degreaser ! it couldnt of been that bad as I had to clean mine with a spoon the first time i did it. Here it is and yes its just a noise damping plate, I tried to get it off but the screws are made out of cheese and glued in with locktite so I gave up.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Creaky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2017, 07:47:24 pm »
After owning my bike since June I've just had the sprocket cover off on my 2001 600 Fazer to check what the condition was like behind and I also had to dig out the crud that had built up over the years. Got it all clean, checked the sprocket nut which is 9mm deep which was all secure and then tackled the gasket issue.

Wasn't keen on buying and waiting for a new gasket each time I remove the cover as I see it as a routine operation to keep things in good order. I've applied a thin layer of black silicone to the outer cover edges and smoothed this out to make what I hope will be a permanently attached reusable seal. I let it dry overnight and then applied a smear of grease to the opposite face on the bike and refitted.

My theory is that the grease will prevent the silicone attaching itself to the bike and enable it to detach without problem during my future checks. I've heard of folk using grease between paper gaskets to enable them to be reused so hopefully the plan will work!

My silicone bead is thicker than the original gasket so I was concerned that it may affect the clutch pushrod operation but a after a test run this afternoon all seems fine.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2017, 08:28:32 pm »
After owning my bike since June I've just had the sprocket cover off on my 2001 600 Fazer to check what the condition was like behind and I also had to dig out the crud that had built up over the years. Got it all clean, checked the sprocket nut which is 9mm deep which was all secure and then tackled the gasket issue.

Wasn't keen on buying and waiting for a new gasket each time I remove the cover as I see it as a routine operation to keep things in good order. I've applied a thin layer of black silicone to the outer cover edges and smoothed this out to make what I hope will be a permanently attached reusable seal. I let it dry overnight and then applied a smear of grease to the opposite face on the bike and refitted.

My theory is that the grease will prevent the silicone attaching itself to the bike and enable it to detach without problem during my future checks. I've heard of folk using grease between paper gaskets to enable them to be reused so hopefully the plan will work!

My silicone bead is thicker than the original gasket so I was concerned that it may affect the clutch pushrod operation but a after a test run this afternoon all seems fine.
Actually you don't even need a gasket there, and from my extensive DIY around Sharp Hall with silicone I think that you will find that it will still peel off in pieces especially as it has been squeezed so thin that the thickness has not altered the clutch operation   

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2017, 11:51:34 pm »
i wouldnt bother with the gasket but if you really want something there use a gasket compound as its designed exactly for that job

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2017, 12:37:44 am »

Degreaser ! it couldnt of been that bad as I had to clean mine with a spoon the first time i did it. Here it is and yes its just a noise damping plate, I tried to get it off but the screws are made out of cheese and glued in with locktite so I gave up.

Why were you rying to remove it? Nothing behind it except a big piece of rubber. I have added this plate to three 2003 bikes because it prevents the sprocket nut from falling off and thus preventing the sprocket from falling onto the threads and destroying them, a worth while addition to the any 2002/2003 bikes.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2017, 10:38:49 am »

Why were you rying to remove it? Nothing behind it except a big piece of rubber. I have added this plate to three 2003 bikes because it prevents the sprocket nut from falling off and thus preventing the sprocket from falling onto the threads and destroying them, a worth while addition to the any 2002/2003 bikes.

It then would of made it easy clean the whole lot with that out of the way that's all
« Last Edit: 14 August 2017, 10:39:21 am by fazersharp »

Carter

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DT200WR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2017, 06:51:34 pm »
So they knew the sprocket nut would come off ? ? ? ;)
Rust never sleeps !

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2017, 07:58:59 pm »
So they knew the sprocket nut would come off ? ? ? ;)
No - its a noise dampener on the very early ones -