Date: 28-03-24  Time: 13:46 pm

Author Topic: New chain and sprocket + oil  (Read 3400 times)

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
New chain and sprocket + oil
« on: 23 April 2017, 07:40:10 pm »
Hi guys

Just came back from riding to, around and back from ireland, did 1236 miles in total, over those miles some oil seem to disappear and i needed to top it up with 10w40 semi synthetic oil (not happy about this) and also my chain kept getting slack.

Therefore I now need to do an oil change and want to know flat out what is the best oil for my 2001 Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer?

And what is the best chain and sprocket set as well please?

Hope you guys can help.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: New chain and sprocket + oil
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2017, 08:49:10 pm »
I've been using Westway Oil found on Ebay.
Very good price and it's been absolutely fine. I tried the fully synthetic this time but up to you if stick with semi synthetic 10w 40.

As for chains, i've always used D.I.D. X Ring. Tried and tested and always served my bike well. No need to buy 'extra' heavy duty though.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2017, 05:52:40 am »
Providing you still have some adjustment left in your chain I'd be inclined to adjust it to the correct tension , lubricate and use the bike for awhile before spending your hard earned on a new set of c&s. Irish roads can be pretty tough on chains, a group of us went over and two of us suffered chain problems that we'd never had on British roads
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2017, 10:41:21 am »
Irish roads can be pretty tough on chains, a group of us went over and two of us suffered chain problems that we'd never had on British roads
Hows that then
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2017, 11:22:52 am »
Irish roads can be pretty tough on chains, a group of us went over and two of us suffered chain problems that we'd never had on British roads
Hows that then
Bumpy as hell, i spent a week with my suspension bottoming out.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2017, 12:52:34 pm »
Engine oil I just use Castrol Power 1 4T 10W-40 (Don't get the Power 1 Racing version as it's exactly the same just more expensive because it's branded as 'Racing') as for Chain and Sprockets I use Afam they are more expensive than DID and other makes but they are bloody good and they last so much longer.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2017, 01:16:26 pm »
It all depends on your budget fella, but get the best you can afford 
With the oil change here's a how to I've copy and pasted from the forum, I believe it's the handiwork of darrsi and therefore always worth a read.  :)
There's lots of help online with changing chain and sprockets too, money saved  :thumbup

Drain on side stand with oil cap removed too, when more or less stopped replace sump bolt without doing up mega tight, it won't leak.

Now put bike on centre stand, on level flat ground.Get ready to catch oil as well when removing old oil filter, i find a chain wrench works the best..Smear some oil on rubber seal on new oil filter, screw in, and nip it up NOT TOO TIGHT, the oil and rubber combination will create a seal, do it up too tight and you'll regret it when you go to remove it next time.

You can start with exactly 2.5 litres of oil with no worries.Put oil cap back on.Start engine and run for 20-30 seconds.
Switch off then keep an eye on the oil window, a good torch can be useful to see the level, it eventually needs to be about two thirds up between the upper/lower level markings next to the window.

First go may not be enough oil, so ADDING VERY LITTLE OIL AT A TIME, repeat above steps, cap back on, start engine, let it run, switch off, and watch the window carefully until it settles again, which will take about 15-20 seconds each time at a guess.

With a new filter you'll roughly be looking at about 2.7 litres in total, so don't start pouring huge amounts in and overfill it, as that can cause other issues, just take your time and you'll do it correctly first time.
« Last Edit: 24 April 2017, 01:22:24 pm by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2017, 01:38:26 pm »
It all depends on your budget fella, but get the best you can afford 
With the oil change here's a how to I've copy and pasted from the forum, I believe it's the handiwork of darrsi and therefore always worth a read.  :)
There's lots of help online with changing chain and sprockets too, money saved  :thumbup

Drain on side stand with oil cap removed too, when more or less stopped replace sump bolt without doing up mega tight, it won't leak.

Now put bike on centre stand, on level flat ground.Get ready to catch oil as well when removing old oil filter, i find a chain wrench works the best..Smear some oil on rubber seal on new oil filter, screw in, and nip it up NOT TOO TIGHT, the oil and rubber combination will create a seal, do it up too tight and you'll regret it when you go to remove it next time.

You can start with exactly 2.5 litres of oil with no worries.Put oil cap back on.Start engine and run for 20-30 seconds.
Switch off then keep an eye on the oil window, a good torch can be useful to see the level, it eventually needs to be about two thirds up between the upper/lower level markings next to the window.

First go may not be enough oil, so ADDING VERY LITTLE OIL AT A TIME, repeat above steps, cap back on, start engine, let it run, switch off, and watch the window carefully until it settles again, which will take about 15-20 seconds each time at a guess.

With a new filter you'll roughly be looking at about 2.7 litres in total, so don't start pouring huge amounts in and overfill it, as that can cause other issues, just take your time and you'll do it correctly first time.

I thought you were putting a link up for some reason, then i read that lot and thought "Nice one Celticdog, you've got that spot on."

Then i realised i wrote it.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2017, 01:42:32 pm »
The thing about chains is that they need to be maintained.
A looked after and cleaned and well lubricated chain can last for ages regardless of make, but just a bit of neglect will reduce the lifespan very quickly.

daviee

« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2017, 05:59:26 pm »
i dont get why your not happy about topping up your oil am i missing something ?

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
 I guess it's cos it means it's burning it. Do Fazers tend to use a bit of oil? My old beemer used about half a litre every thousand miles.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2017, 07:40:37 pm »
I NEVER need to top oil up between changes.
I change mine every 4000 miles.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2017, 09:54:40 pm »
Nope me neither need to top up, although I once need to pop in an egg cup full once  :D

I put it down to halfords oil going thin and easily swooshed around the sump on my "fun" rides and setting off the oil light.
Got castrol in now and no such issues

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2017, 10:04:48 pm »
Thanks guys for the chain and sprocket help

Also you all went mental about 'burning oil' but look what I found tonight (Images attached).
For some reason there is no hose clip around that tube and I think that is where the oil leak is coming from.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2017, 10:21:34 pm »
 I may be mistaken but I think the tube you're referring to is a protective outer for the coolant pipe that runs along the bottom of the motor and it doesn't have a clip. There is only a tiny amount of fluid on the photo which wouldn't account for having to top it up. Could it be a random drip from when you were putting the oil in? If you had a leak of any significance your engine would be plastered in it I would have thought.

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 April 2017, 10:36:37 pm »
I may be mistaken but I think the tube you're referring to is a protective outer for the coolant pipe that runs along the bottom of the motor and it doesn't have a clip. There is only a tiny amount of fluid on the photo which wouldn't account for having to top it up. Could it be a random drip from when you were putting the oil in? If you had a leak of any significance your engine would be plastered in it I would have thought.

Annoying I am so colorblind someone has corrected me it's actually coolant leaking out of the bike tonight, I think it's just because there isn't a hose clip on it

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2017, 12:00:55 am »
I am fairly sure that is just a protective outer cover shield with no clip but and it does look like coolant - the pink OAT stuff

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2017, 05:58:41 am »
As for chains - like Darrsi said. Most any standard by a decent manufacturer will do. I use Scottoiler (loads of topics on it on the forum) - worth it in terms of long term savings and less hassle with cleaning and lubing the chain.

As for oil - a can of worms. :)   I stick with Motul 7100 (in SAE 10w40 grade) - costs a bit more, but that's like once a year, lasting for 10.000 km without problems, and you know the engine oil is of top quality. Though many would say you'll be just as well off with a cheaper, non-synthetic oil.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2017, 06:30:46 am »
Get down Halfords and buy a bottle of Radflush and give the cooling system a good clean out.
That liquid has rust in it.

This is what i personally use as coolant in my bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-Motocool-Expert-Ready-To-Use-Motorcycle-Cooling-Liquid-1-Litre-1L-/161266933598?hash=item258c421f5e:g:DWcAAOSwxehXPD2n

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2017, 09:17:48 am »
Get down Halfords and buy a bottle of Radflush and give the cooling system a good clean out.
That liquid has rust in it.

This is what i personally use as coolant in my bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motul-Motocool-Expert-Ready-To-Use-Motorcycle-Cooling-Liquid-1-Litre-1L-/161266933598?hash=item258c421f5e:g:DWcAAOSwxehXPD2n

I can't seem to catch a break at the moment, just rode to uni this morning and my right boot was a bit greasy, I'm so colorblind I still can't even see what this liquid is but it now looks like its coming from the engine casing that covers the starter clutch

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 April 2017, 12:22:24 pm »
Is everything tight around the thermostat area, it may just be coolant dripping downwards?

I'd still advise a flush though due to the colour of it.

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 April 2017, 12:43:05 pm »
my advice is give all of the engine a good clean with GUNK http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-cleaner-degreaser/gunk-engine-degreaser-1-litre or something similar, clean it all up so you have clean areas to see for sure where any leaks are comming from. I say use GUNK as I know you can just wash it off with water after.

wear rubber gloves and clothes you don't mind binning after if you are going to use GUNK as it stinks and the smell will stay on you skin for ages

Grant1Shepherd

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 April 2017, 07:57:25 pm »
UPDATE NEWS

Bike has a split radiator hose right under the tank, new one has been order but what bloody hard to get hold off, found it with electrical blue tap wrapped around it, clearly the owner before me wanted a quick fix, I'm amazed it's lasted the near 6000 miles with me lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 April 2017, 09:56:57 pm »
UPDATE NEWS

Bike has a split radiator hose right under the tank, new one has been order but what bloody hard to get hold off, found it with electrical blue tap wrapped around it, clearly the owner before me wanted a quick fix, I'm amazed it's lasted the near 6000 miles with me lol
Get some more blue tape and re do it

Fazer99

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 April 2017, 07:19:10 am »
UPDATE NEWS

Get some more blue tape and re do it

use red electrical tape as it will make it go faster  :rollin :rollin :rollin