Date: 28-03-24  Time: 07:58 am

Author Topic: speeding new rules  (Read 1727 times)

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
speeding new rules
« on: 23 April 2017, 11:40:35 am »
Speeding new rules, do not get caught :)

Drivers caught well over the speed limit from next week face a fine amounting to 150 per cent of their weekly earnings.

Exceeding the limit by these amounts will also have further ramifications, with a ban of seven to 56 days - depending on the gravity of the offence - as well as adding six points on their licence. 

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-4424108/As-fines-rise-speeding-laws-changed-years.html
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: speeding new rules
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2017, 11:45:49 am »
I have no problem with the lower limits, anyone virtually doubling the speed limit in built up area's deserve what they get.
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2017, 12:55:41 pm »
I have no problem with the lower limits, anyone virtually doubling the speed limit in built up area's deserve what they get.

Exactly! Behave in the built up areas and miss behave in the empty ones haha
I'd like to see how they come up with a 150%  weekly wage figure for those of us that are self employed. Better yet what if your unemployed? Can't take 150% of fuck all can they?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2017, 01:05:45 pm »

I guess for those on average salary it’s probably not massively different to current cost. Those speeds would ordinarily have been dealt with in court so you’d have the fine plus costs.
I don’t understand why there’s a cap though. Having made it income related, why not stick to it for the super rich? Anyone would think they’re the ones making up the rules or something.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2017, 01:14:56 pm »

I don’t understand why there’s a cap though. Having made it income related, why not stick to it for the super rich? Anyone would think they’re the ones making up the rules or something.

Well to take a stab at it I'd guess that because if they caught Johnny Footballer speeding in his Bentley Gt and tried to take 150% of his £120,000 a week salary they would end up with a team of very expensive lawyers using every loophole in the law to get him out of it. Where as if they charge him 2k he will pull that out of his wallet and be on his way

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2017, 03:21:11 pm »
What if you're not working?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2017, 05:57:06 pm »
Exactly. What if you're a housewife with no income ?
Surely they can't hold the main income earner responsible if it wasn't them that was caught speeding ?
So many loopholes in this.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2017, 06:35:47 pm »

Well to take a stab at it I'd guess that because if they caught Johnny Footballer speeding in his Bentley Gt and tried to take 150% of his £120,000 a week salary they would end up with a team of very expensive lawyers using every loophole in the law to get him out of it. Where as if they charge him 2k he will pull that out of his wallet and be on his way

If he only gets a 2k fine then it is no deterrent, its like fining me a fiver.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2017, 06:52:34 pm »

If he only gets a 2k fine then it is no deterrent, its like fining me a fiver.

Thing is there's no way to deter the rich from doing what they like. Money is power in this country. Just look at London when the rich Arabs come over in their lambos, ferraris etc. No insurance, no tax, no license and couldn't care less. If the old bill take away their cars they just buy another, can't put points on a license they don't have and any fine is just pocket change. It's a very sad state of affairs

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2017, 06:54:41 am »
Exactly. What if you're a housewife with no income ?
Surely they can't hold the main income earner responsible if it wasn't them that was caught speeding ?
So many loopholes in this.

A very interesting point there, they will prob fine the husband, same as I get collered for anything government related concerning the wife.  She's not working but I still have to pay all her eye appointments, dentist, prescriptions etc etc.
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2017, 09:48:44 am »
people will get frustrated by slow drivers will drive 25 mph in a 30 mph zone and we all know what will happen.
it'll be the same at other speeds people will drive at least 5 mph less than the speed limit.
most cars and bikes will be 2 mph less on speedo reading ..
according to these electronic road sign's read 28 mph but your clock reads 30 mph.
not sure of 40,50,60,or 70?
I'd rather have my clocks over read than under.
 what is your thought on this..
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2017, 11:19:41 am »
It's just gonna be the usual storm in a tea cup, just like last month when they changed the penalty for using your phone, everybody  lost their shit and acted like it wasn't illegal to do it before then after a month or so everyone has forgotten the change and are back to using them like they were before.
It'll be the same with this.
For the next 2 weeks everyone will be careful, there'll be police on every corner and people will act like they've only just realised speeding is illegal, then buy the end of the month everything will be back to normal.
At the end of it the only that's changed is the amount you'll be fined