Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:01 pm

Author Topic: Fazer Decals  (Read 1545 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Fazer Decals
« on: 18 April 2017, 06:43:56 pm »
Hi guys,
I am looking for some advice, I dropped my bike (FZS600) a couple of years ago, it was stationary at the time, so, no great damage, but it did put a couple of cracks in the front fairing, one where the off side indicator is mounted and on at the rear end of the front fairing where the rear fixing screw is.

Now I am quite a dab hand at fibre glass repairs so I removed the fairing from the bike and thoroughly cleaned (Brake and Clutch Cleaner) the inside of the fairing where the damage was and scored it with a sharp chisel to form a key for the glass resin, I laminated the area giving a good 3 inches past each crack with 2 layers of course matting and one layer of fine glass mesh.
With the fairing infill panels in place the repairs are completely invisible. I have lived with it for two years but feel it's time for a makeover, the cracks are hardly noticeable when viewing the bike, unless you are doing a close inspection, but want to do a better job by scratching out the cracks and using some fine filler and respraying, here comes the issue how the FOC do I get the FAZER decals off the fairing without doing more damage that is already done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
For those who read my post with regard to the passing of my much loved MR2 Mk 3, I have decided to replace it with a BMW Z4 2.5 straight 6   :eek , I tell you this as a warning as BMW drivers are not very popular in here, mainly because most of them need a white stick, that is those who look, but don't see, the others just need a swift blow to the side of the temple. :rollin :rollin :rollin
I am hoping not to fall into either category. 

« Last Edit: 18 April 2017, 06:46:10 pm by tommyardin »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer Decals
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2017, 07:06:25 pm »
You need to heat the stickers with either a heat gun or hairdryer the dryer being a bit safer to release to adhesive.

As for the BMW well it could be worse like a Volvo!. :lol

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2017, 07:16:13 pm »
Z4 driver and you ask him if he has a hairdryer lol

Thats focin class
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2017, 08:03:19 pm »
Z4 driver and you ask him if he has a hairdryer lol

Thats focin class

Thought the same - HE GETS A NEW ONE EVERY CHRISTMAS  :lol :lol :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2017, 10:07:21 pm »
Oyyy!
FUCK OFF you lot.  :finger :rollin :rollin :rollin

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2017, 10:11:34 pm »
You need to heat the stickers with either a heat gun or hairdryer the dryer being a bit safer to release to adhesive.

As for the BMW well it could be worse like a Volvo!. :lol

Cheers Bandit, I will borrow MY WIFE'S HAIR DRYER  :lol :thumbup :rollin :rollin :rollin

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2017, 02:22:19 am »
Tommy, hope you're patient, did two small ones on my ZX and the focers took ages to get off, went something like heat, carefully lift the edge with my thumb nail, snap, heat carefully lift the edge with my thumb nail etc etc
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2017, 07:12:01 am »
Tommy, hope you're patient, did two small ones on my ZX and the focers took ages to get off, went something like heat, carefully lift the edge with my thumb nail, snap, heat carefully lift the edge with my thumb nail etc etc

A plastic scraper or an old credit card works well too, saves those thumbs  :thumbup
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.