Date: 19-04-24  Time: 14:38 pm

Author Topic: Blue residue  (Read 2051 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Blue residue
« on: 18 April 2017, 06:33:17 pm »
I've just noticed a load of blue residue around the oil cooler on the front of my Gen2. Any ideas what that would be? My first assumption is coolant because It's really bright blue and looks like it's been leaking out of every joint/seam on it?
I would upload picture but this bludy site won't let me anymore :-(
« Last Edit: 18 April 2017, 06:34:48 pm by Dudeofrude »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Blue residue
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2017, 07:10:17 pm »
Think you've just answered your own question there fella.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2017, 07:18:44 pm »
Are all your clips tight around your thermostat pipes, they can loosen over time?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2017, 07:39:20 pm »
I haven't gotten in there to check yet as I was at work when I noticed it. I've had the coolant changed recently so there a possibility the mechy didn't tighten something up properly? Will this man the cooler if fooked or is it just a case of seal failure? It's literally on every joint, nook and cranny. Almost looks like a pan that's boiled over haha

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2017, 08:15:51 pm »
Could be anything from a simple overspill to the cap not being on properly, not something you can really guess.
But a torch makes coolant shine so maybe a good help at locating the source.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2017, 08:23:07 pm »
ran over a smurf? :lol

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2017, 08:39:23 pm »
ran over a smurf? :lol

Gotta be worth at least 20 points? 😆

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2017, 08:41:35 pm »
Could be anything from a simple overspill to the cap not being on properly, not something you can really guess.
But a torch makes coolant shine so maybe a good help at locating the source.

Thanks for the tip I'll get out there with a torch in a bit to see if it shines. I think I'm definitely loosing coolant somewhere as my overflow tank is all but empty, but I hadnt actually checked that since the refill so they might not have filled it enough in the first place?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2017, 10:11:21 pm »
I've just noticed a load of blue residue around the oil cooler on the front of my Gen2. Any ideas what that would be? My first assumption is coolant because It's really bright blue and looks like it's been leaking out of every joint/seam on it?
I would upload picture but this bludy site won't let me anymore :-(

Ah c'mon Dude - if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then it's a fucking duck isn't it  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2017, 10:50:40 pm »
Empty expansion tank is bad news, especially if the leak is up front.
You wanna get that sorted asap and get some fluids topped up again in the cap and the expansion tank otherwise it's gonna certainly cause the bike to overheat, or worse.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2017, 11:13:19 pm »
I'll have a good look tomoz then maybe take it down to the mechy, see what he says

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2017, 11:13:57 pm »
Finally!!! Not the best picture but the only way I could upload one haha

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2017, 06:24:20 am »
First things first is get more coolant put back in, 'cos if your levels are very low then even your fan won't kick in to help out with any overheating.
It could just be loose jubilee clips around the thermostat housing, because that cooler below it hasn't just been splashed, it's properly covered, but if not then whatever it is needs fixing immediately.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 April 2017, 07:32:06 am »
First things first is get more coolant put back in, 'cos if your levels are very low then even your fan won't kick in to help out with any overheating.
It could just be loose jubilee clips around the thermostat housing, because that cooler below it hasn't just been splashed, it's properly covered, but if not then whatever it is needs fixing immediately.

Sounds silly but how do I put more in? The radiator is full and there isn't any access to the overflow tank, plus that doesn't have a lid on it like my previous bikes?

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 April 2017, 07:58:13 am »

Sounds silly but how do I put more in? The radiator is full and there isn't any access to the overflow tank, plus that doesn't have a lid on it like my previous bikes?

Are you sure there's no cap on your expansion tank? It should look like this. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yamaha-fz1-n-2006-07-08-09-2010-expation-tank-/272567454266?hash=item3f76494a3a:g:MXEAAMXQlgtRoT4f
« Last Edit: 19 April 2017, 07:59:19 am by Grayo »
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 April 2017, 08:23:43 am »

Are you sure there's no cap on your expansion tank? It should look like this. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yamaha-fz1-n-2006-07-08-09-2010-expation-tank-/272567454266?hash=item3f76494a3a:g:MXEAAMXQlgtRoT4f

Thats what I was just thinking,  or it has not been put back on properly. The blue residue all over the cooler looks more like a spill than a leak  to me.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 April 2017, 09:34:30 am »
OK yeah I see it now. They don't make that easy do they haha its right behind the bleeding frame!! Well I've cleaned the oil cooler off and I'm gonna top the coolant up on the way to work then give it a week and see what happens. Hopefully it's just a spill like you've said and the mechy not putting enough coolant in. Fingers crossed....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 April 2017, 01:10:52 pm »
With a good functioning system once the bike has cooled down the coolant in the expansion tank should settle between the lower and upper markings.
That is once you've got the levels correct to start with.
Just looking at the level in the expansion tank every now and then with the bike on the centre stand will tell you if all is well or not, and is a very good guide.