Date: 10-04-24  Time: 07:43 am

Author Topic: FZS600 engine oil warning light randomly comes on  (Read 4037 times)

feral kid

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
FZS600 engine oil warning light randomly comes on
« on: 17 April 2017, 11:29:00 pm »
For couple of weeks now the engine oil warning light occasionally comes on, it stays on for around 30-50 seconds and then it goes off. It's not the case that it's happening when sharp turning or going up\down hill. I spoke to my mechanic about it it and he is not sure what is causing it. He said that it may be a problem with a oil sensor (maybe it got some gunk stuck to it), but wasn't sure and he said he it would be quite a lot of work to check it\clean it, he would have to remove the whole exhaust system to do it and probably it wouldn't be cheap. Does anyone know what could be causing it and is it something serious? Is it safe to keep riding the bike if it keeps happening?

CaptainCazador

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 engine oil warning light randomly comes on
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2017, 04:56:22 am »
Chances are your oil is slightly low.

To check put the bike ok the centre stand and check the oil level (preferably when hot) on the sight glass and try to keep it on the upper mark.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2017, 06:32:22 am »
 :agree

BUT.........check the oil level when the engine is COLD...checking when hot will give a false level as some of the oil will still be at the top of the engine , cams etc , wait till it cools and the oil has time to drain into the sump    :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2017, 07:09:12 am »

BUT.........check the oil level when the engine is COLD...checking when hot will give a false level as some of the oil will still be at the top of the engine , cams etc , wait till it cools and the oil has time to drain into the sump    :thumbup

:thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2017, 07:34:01 am »

Really??
Oil should ideally be at operating temperature, but at the very least start the engine for 30 seconds so that it does coat all the parts then switch off and let it settle, and that'll be your correct level.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2017, 08:49:42 am »

Really??
Oil should ideally be at operating temperature, but at the very least start the engine for 30 seconds so that it does coat all the parts then switch off and let it settle, and that'll be your correct level.
Remember that it is not an engine warning light as such - like you would get in a car, it is just a simple oil level light like your petrol gauge, I have had it coming on in the past on acceleration straight after a roundabout, and all it needed to stop it was an egg cup full more of oil  :lurk   

Also it takes days for all of the oil to drain down so a warm engine with I would say 1/2 hour wait would be about right to check the level. I did mine again last year to the correct level and over a few days of no use I watched the level go up and over the sight glass   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2017, 09:04:38 am »
The sensor is towards the front of the engine, so if it was low oil level causing the light to come on you'd notice it under acceleration. As it's more random than that the fault may be that the wire to it has chafed against engine or frame somewhere... if it shorts to ground that will turn the light on.

feral kid

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2017, 12:44:13 pm »
I checked oil level and it seems it's fine, both when engine is cold and after a ride.
The light does seem to come on after fast accelerating. I thing it started when I changed the exhaust can few weeks ago and now I rev it high more often.
I haven't changed the oil for around 5000 miles now. Could it be a reason? I'm changing it this week

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2017, 01:24:41 pm »

Really??
Remember that it is not an engine warning light as such - like you would get in a car, it is just a simple oil level light like your petrol gauge, I have had it coming on in the past on acceleration straight after a roundabout, and all it needed to stop it was an egg cup full more of oil  :lurk   

Also it takes days for all of the oil to drain down so a warm engine with I would say 1/2 hour wait would be about right to check the level. I did mine again last year to the correct level and over a few days of no use I watched the level go up and over the sight glass

You and your egg cup  :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2017, 02:22:06 pm »
I checked oil level and it seems it's fine, both when engine is cold and after a ride.
The light does seem to come on after fast accelerating. I thing it started when I changed the exhaust can few weeks ago and now I rev it high more often.
I haven't changed the oil for around 5000 miles now. Could it be a reason? I'm changing it this week
In that case, don't worry about it. The oil pickup is further back and will still provide the pump with oil despite the red light on the instrument cluster coming on under acceleration. 
When you change the oil, top it up to the upper mark after running the engine to fill the filter (assuming you're changing that too).

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 April 2017, 02:44:10 pm »

You need to read the workshop manual that you posted again
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 April 2017, 07:04:39 pm »

You need to read the workshop manual that you posted again

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 April 2017, 10:58:31 am »
It is randomly warning you that you have an engine.

feral kid

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2017, 09:17:47 pm »
In that case, don't worry about it. The oil pickup is further back and will still provide the pump with oil despite the red light on the instrument cluster coming on under acceleration. 
When you change the oil, top it up to the upper mark after running the engine to fill the filter (assuming you're changing that too).
Thanks for advice. 2 weeks ago I changed the oil and the filter and it hasn't happened since then