Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:05 pm

Author Topic: PR 4, Roadtec 01's, Roadsmart 3  (Read 4344 times)

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
PR 4, Roadtec 01's, Roadsmart 3
« on: 15 April 2017, 08:37:30 pm »
Hi all,
Yep it's another tyre thread! Sorry but I am considering a pair from the current crop of tyres which offer the all round performance and good mileage. Having not used any of them cos I usually buy the best priced half decent tyre on offer from eBay  :rolleyes , has anyone used any of them and can recommend on the gen 1? I would say my general use is hooning, odd commute, a couple of long tours a year. Riding style smooth and rapid. :b  I have ktec springs up front, forks 12mm raised, and the r6 Shock conversion plus the usual ivans modifications. Cheers.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: PR 4, Roadtec 01's, Roadsmart 3
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2017, 09:38:26 pm »
Metzler Sportec M7RR, I have them on the 1000 and find them to be a great all rounder :)

Had PR4s and they were very good, but the turn in with the M7 is far superior as are less inclined to stand the bike up if you have to brake mid corner. I used a PR3 Front and PR4 rear at one point and found it a better option than 2 PR4s, it had a different feel which I liked.

Dunlop Roadsmarts 3 would be are more like the PR4s, but be careful on first use as they can take a while to bed in

Dunlop Sportsmart very good also, but as above they take a while to bed in

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2017, 11:26:00 pm »
Thanks unfazed. I hadn't considered them. I mentioned the three in the subject as a friend owns a small bike shop and can get those at a similar price but I will look into it.

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2017, 06:16:24 am »
I've just put on a set of Avon ultra sport 2's only just scrubbed them in though so can't really comment on the performance at the moment but the price was right at £165 fitted

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2017, 07:41:56 am »
I always go for the Michelin PR2's they are still a brilliant tyre, last for ever, excellent grip, and cheaper than the latest tyres out. What more reason do you need? (Unless they stop producing them).

Can't find that many places selling them, so I might stock up, Wheelhouse tyres has a pair for £181

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2017, 08:09:47 am »
I use Avon Storms (3D-XM) and by the sounds of it am a similar rider to yourself in that I use the bike mainly for hooning at a 'progressive' pace. I can only compare them against the equivalent Bridgestones (023) which I tried and found to be less suited to my riding style as they seemed to prefer to keep the bike upright where the Avons feel just as happy at whatever angle you are at making the bike a lot more confident through the twisties (I have about 3mm chicken strips on the rear). I also get 9% more life out of a rear Avon than a Bridgestone, plus if you get a puncture within the first mm or so of wear Avon will replace the tyre for you which can be useful.

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2017, 09:53:59 am »
Thanks for the suggestions guys

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2017, 07:43:30 pm »
I have Roadsmart 3 on my Gen 1 and they are the dogs danglies, suit the bike really well and have excellent grip wet or dry.

I have had PR, great ride but go off at about 2/3 worn (in my experience)

Had Roadsmart 1, great tyre but the 3's are miles better, and Roadsmart 2 which never felt quiet right.

The Roadtec 01's are supposed to be very good.

I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the latest sport touring tyres.

teecee90

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2017, 03:59:13 pm »
Got the Roadtec 01s on mine - well impressed.
FZS 1000 Gen1 (2003)
Tiger 900 GT Pro (2020)

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2017, 01:20:28 pm »
Just to throw a spanner in the works I have Bridgestone T30's on my Gen.1 and can't fault them to the point where I don't even think about them, just tip the bike into a bend and drive out. :)

Covertlaugh

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2017, 11:42:52 am »
Just as an update guys.....I went with Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. Just back from a 1400 mile hoon around Scotland in mixed wet and dry roads of varying surfaces. The tyres were brilliant. They have very deep tread as standard and after the trip look hardly used despite some very spirited riding. Very impressed. In comparison a friend with Michelin 2ct on his z1000sx his tyres looked fecked.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2017, 12:48:32 pm »
But on a set of Metzler Roadtec 01 yesterday, a bit out of my price range but they come highly recommended from a mate.
The guy who fitted them has them on his own bike, a rapture 650 and says they are the best wet tyres he has ever had on a bike. The feed back from his customers also is very good and no complaints. The only issue may be tyre life, as a few customers have had low mileage out of the rear, one guy getting only 2000 miles from the rear. That may be down to the individuals riding styles, he has 4000 miles on his bike and there seemed plenty of life left to me.
So we will see how it goes and hope it might help fix my issues with the front.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2017, 06:43:57 pm »
  Took my bike for an MOT today and got a new rear PR3 fitted at the same time.

You probably have to go out of your way to buy a poor tyre these days.  I find the PR3 grip well and last well (got 5500 miles from the rear – worn smooth in the centre).
I could have gone for the PR4, but I’ve still got a PR3 on the front, plus there is a price hike to PR4.

Bike came with the Metz MEZ4’s (I think they were) as new.  You could easily spin up the rear in the wet with these, or get them to break loose in the dry if pushed reasonably hard, plus the bike was slow to turn on them.

Next I tried BT020’s – much better than the Metz, plenty grip in dry and wet, plus bike was really keen to turn in on these.  Could just squeeze 4000 miles from a rear and they tended to square off a good bit.

Then on hearing all the moaning about BT021’s, I went for PR2’s, again good grip and lovely neutral handling.

Finally, so far, PR3’s, compared to the PR2, slightly harder wearing I think, a touch better grip in the dry and very secure in the wet (maybe that’s in my head with all those extra grooves)
Will probably go for PR4’s next, but will depend on price difference as PR3 very good indeed.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2017, 06:48:28 pm »
Had Pilot Road's (2's I think) on Liz's 1000 for a long time now. Just replaced the rear with a PR4 (couldn't get a PR2 or 3 there and then) - so far, so good, love it, stable but with a nice smooth lean-in, very confidence inspiring after riding on a well worn tyre for a few miles.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2017, 07:39:38 pm »
I swapped from pr4's to roadsmart 3's last time around.  The roadsmart rear did just under 15k miles which was impressive.  I usually get (nearly) 1 front to 2 rears but the front is almost ready for replacement at the same time. Still 15k is decent.
Intentionally left blank

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 July 2017, 07:52:19 pm »
Just as an update guys.....I went with Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. Just back from a 1400 mile hoon around Scotland in mixed wet and dry roads of varying surfaces. The tyres were brilliant. They have very deep tread as standard and after the trip look hardly used despite some very spirited riding. Very impressed. In comparison a friend with Michelin 2ct on his z1000sx his tyres looked fecked.

Not comparing like with like there, the Michelin 2CT is a full on Sports tyre like the Dunlop Sportsmart and the Metzler Sportec, it is designed purely for grip and handling not like the Roadsmart which is a sports touring tyre and a compromise of sport riding, grip and and long lasting.
The Roadsmart should be compared to the likes of the Michilen PRs and Metzler Roadtecs and there is little to choose between the 3 makes.
Even though I have used more tyre types than I can remember over the years, I have always gravitated towards the Metzler Sportecs, because I like the way they turn in and much less inclined to stand the bike up if you have to brake mid turn. I have always sarcificed longevity for grip and handling. At present I have Sportecs M7RRs on the 1000 and a PR3/4 mix on the 600, but will be returning the 600 to sportecs next time round.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 July 2017, 11:15:20 pm »
Heard some really great stuff about the Bridgestone T30s, apparently Ron Haslem School of Racing use them on all their Race School bikes, now that has to be a good advert.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 July 2017, 08:48:28 am »
ive just done a ron haslam track day really good day, they use dunlop on there cbr 600 , we could not believe they were using road tyres when we finnished.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 July 2017, 12:17:30 pm »
  Yup Dunlop Roadsmart 3’s touring tyres are the tyres of choice at the Ron Haslam race school.

http://www.tyrepress.com/2017/04/ron-haslam-race-school-picks-dunlop-as-tyre-partner/

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 July 2017, 09:53:55 am »
Checked my tyre pressure yesterday after having the new tyres fitted on Thursday. Not been able to to ride the bike since the ride home.
On the invoice  for the tyres it says he inflated the tyres to 36psi front and 42 psi rear,but I thought the bike felt  a bit odd on the way home but with new tyres did not get to involved. Checked the pressure  with 3 different gauges and the front was 40psi and the rear 47psi.If he does  not have a accurate gauge who does?
Will try to give the bike a ride at the weekend and see how it feels.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2017, 10:25:09 am »
I always go for the Michelin PR2's they are still a brilliant tyre, last for ever, excellent grip, and cheaper than the latest tyres out. What more reason do you need? (Unless they stop producing them).

Can't find that many places selling them, so I might stock up, Wheelhouse tyres has a pair for £181
I have just had a pair fitted by my local bike garage, they ordered them and they turned up next day, I paid £184 fitted to loose wheels.